Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a problem with the WoG Vassal Module.

In the units window, I can only view leaders up to turn 5. No later leaders, for either scenario, appear. This applies to the English, French and neutral leaders.

All guidance gratefully received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The leaders from the last turns are on the back of the initial leaders. If you kill off some leaders you'll see them pop in on their flip side on the proper turn of entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this problem with the actual game. Drove me NUTS!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5422603#5422603

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This does seem like an egregious problem given that VASSAL doesn't have the same limitations physical components do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
This does seem like an egregious problem given that VASSAL doesn't have the same limitations physical components do.

Why is it a problem, let alone an "egregious" problem? All the pieces are in the module, and they show up when they're needed. The original designer just replicated what real-life play is like.

I could even see designing it in such a way that leaders were in a hidden game piece palette, so it would be impossible to create multiple copies of any of them.

The Turn 6+ leaders could be set up on the map from the get-go, if that's what most people would prefer--but it would require modifying several game piece prototype definitions, too (to eliminate the current traits that send the leader to the Eliminated/Died of Illness boxes and place his successor on the Turn Track). It could also interfere with some of the custom Java classes that the module uses. You'd have to correspond with the original designer to be sure--when I did recently, it sounded like he was out of the VASSAL module design scene these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For one thing, the module wouldn't need those custom classes. It seems like a lot of work was done to unnecessarily duplicate the physical limitations of the game.

I agree this is minor compared to some poor implementations I've seen; the most notable being games with "strength" points where you still have to manipulate individual counters instead of building in dynamic strength points.

But I digress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
For one thing, the module wouldn't need those custom classes. It seems like a lot of work was done to unnecessarily duplicate the physical limitations of the game.

Heh, in a couple respects not enough was done--there's no limitation on the number of longbowmen, mercenaries, and knights that can be created. But in practical terms, the honor system works well enough, I'm sure most people only play with people they trust and keep enough of a watchful eye.

Looking a bit closer, my best guess is that the custom Java classes don't have anything to do with killing off leaders and dropping their replacements on the map--it seems to simply use Send to Location and Place Marker traits.

It's a pretty trivial modification, just time consuming. Not something that would really be a priority for me anytime soon, but if anyone wants to take a crack at it, by all means. A Quick Start help file would be a good addition, too--there's a placeholder for one, but the file's missing. All it has is a version history HTML doc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recommend revising the module as it stands, but it perhaps could have been built differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I have really enjoyed that module. Well designed and the units when they die come back in the right spots. The VP track is always right on track. One of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I want online implementations to either enforce all the rules, or enforce none of them and merely provide a common playscreen. Games in the middle muddy up the protocol. Vassal is the latter and that means games get up onto the site more quickly. With WofG's rules now available online I think the module works fine even for non-owners. The flipping chits is a bit of a unique case, but not a showstopper. Question asked, question answered.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.