Catan» Forums » General

Subject: My custom Catan board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shandy B

California
msg tools
mb
I've been working on a custom Catan board over the last few months and have started a blog to document my progress:
http://playhandmade.tumblr.com/

Here's a sneak preview of the prototype:
http://www.google.com/buzz/sjbrownProfile/RbukVb4r9aN/Finish...

I'd love to hear people's comments, even though this is just the early stages.

Shandy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this in action at Just Awesome sunday. Looks really good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shandy B

California
msg tools
mb
I guess I sent that message off prematurely, because I've changed my mind about the name, and now it is found here:

http://boardcrafting.wordpress.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Shoot
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've seen some amazing 3-D Catan boards for sale... I think it was on eBay... Some have better colors than others though, that's for sure.

Is it just "the problem" you want to fix... or a desire to do some of your own art? (Probably both?)

If it's just the problem, what about cutting wood and gluing the cardboard pieces TO the wood. Then, I was thinking about shellacking (sp?) that to keep off scratches, etc. I'm worried about whatever I apply on top changing the color.

The "3 D" idea is great, but adds a LOT of weight and space, if you're thinking of using, say, ceramic. Somebody sells the ceramic pieces, painted AND unpainted on eBay, if I remember correctly.

The idea of making my own tiles is attractive, however. I'm NOT artistic though... hence my suggestion.

Any progress lately??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shandy B

California
msg tools
mb
> Is it just "the problem" you want to fix... or a desire to do some of
> your own art? (Probably both?)

Well it *started* with just "the problem" (not being able to play on a patio table or blanket on the grass), but the more I worked on it, the more ambitious I got. Now it's got to the point where I want to make a work of art. I want to make the most beautiful Catan board on the planet. (aim high, right?)

> Then, I was thinking about shellacking (sp?) that to keep off
> scratches, etc. I'm worried about whatever I apply on top changing the
> color.

You might also think about polyurethane that comes in spray cans. Or that "matte finish" fixer stuff you spray on top of eg. chalk and charcoal drawings - you can probably find it in any art supply store.

> Any progress lately??

Yeah, I was just working on some art for the Sheep tile last night (which reminds me, I need to find a way to incorporate the "I've got wood for sheep joke into the artwork...). I don't have photos of that yet. I'll keep posting to the blog every few days until it catches up with my current progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Shoot
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes! Aim High! Make us folks who have no time ( or artistic talent ) jealous!! ha ha
I'd love to see it when it's done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.