offthetrailsonacrazytank
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
87654321cba
badge
what's an overtext ?
mbmbmbmbmb
Do similar abilities of captains, ships or improvements stacks ? For example, Amber with the Free Trader : do you draw three cards and choose the best ? What if she got the HyperWarp II, who chooses and how many cards ? Another one : Kerberos with the Space Miner and Mining Laser improvement, does he get 8 ore per turn ? Or : can you have a ship equiped with a tractor beam and the tractor beam improvement to tow two ships at the same time, for +2 fuel per jump ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
metalguisolid wrote:
Do similar abilities of captains, ships or improvements stacks?

Simple answer is, yes. They do stack, BUT as you need to resolved cards one by one, stacking can lead to different results.

Quote:
For example, Amber with the Free Trader : do you draw three cards and choose the best ?

No, you draw two cards, select the best and do that again.

Quote:
What if she got the HyperWarp II, who chooses and how many cards ?

That would be bad combination with Amber, I'd say.
That would mean that 'take two cards, allow player on your right to choose which to apply' and then the same again.

Quote:
Another one : Kerberos with the Space Miner and Mining Laser improvement, does he get 8 ore per turn ?

There seems to be some calculation error.

Normal ore:
+3 Normal ore yield
+2 Kerberos
+2 Mining laser

My math says that you'd get +7 ore.

Quote:
Or : can you have a ship equipped with a tractor beam and the tractor beam improvement to tow two ships at the same time, for +2 fuel per jump ?

Yes. Nothing prevents you to do so, except that I don't see why this would ever happen...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
offthetrailsonacrazytank
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
87654321cba
badge
what's an overtext ?
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Amber with free trader : What do you mean by do that again ? Do you draw two cards, select one and discard the other, draw one more card (to make two with the first you chose), then select one to finally resolve ? Or do you draw two, select one discard one, drap two again, select one discard one, and then choose wich of the best two (from a total of four cards) to finally resolve ?

2 Amber with HyperWarp II : Do you mean that HyperWarp effectively cancels the good half of Amber's ability, and replaces it ? Should not it be like : Draw two choose the best, then draw one more to make two again, then let the other player choose the worst from those ? Or another combination following my preceding also confusing question ?

3 Kerberos with the Space Miner, and the Mining Laser improvement : I mean 3 from mining, 1 from Kerberos, 2 from the Space Miner's built in Mining Laser, and 2 from the improvement. That makes 8 ore total. (Kerberos's card says : Whenever at or passing by an asteroid field, gain 1 Ore.)
Wich leads to another question : in the very rare instance that two asteroid fields are in the same system, and the other one is adjacent, can Kerberos mine 10 total Ore in one go, by passing over the double field before mining the third field ? (Does he passes over the two fields ?)

4 Fuel Harvester : if a brown dwarf is in the same system than a planet you want to dock to, can you fill your tank by passing over one half hex and dock in the other half hex ?

5 Thanks Timo for the quick answers and for making a great game(wich maybe could have used a little more playtesting i think), but i really like the half hexes exploration and trading system. And the theme. I'm just a little too young to have played Elite, but i really liked Freelancer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
metalguisolid wrote:
1 Amber with free trader : What do you mean by do that again ? Do you draw two cards, select one and discard the other, draw one more card (to make two with the first you chose), then select one to finally resolve ? Or do you draw two, select one discard one, drap two again, select one discard one, and then choose wich of the best two (from a total of four cards) to finally resolve ?

Yes, you select best of total of four cards.

Quote:
2 Amber with HyperWarp II : Do you mean that HyperWarp effectively cancels the good half of Amber's ability, and replaces it ? Should not it be like : Draw two choose the best, then draw one more to make two again, then let the other player choose the worst from those ? Or another combination following my preceding also confusing question ?

Draw two, select best, draw two, select best, give the chosen two to other player who choses the one he likes. That is what I tried to explain. Maybe its now more clear.

Quote:
3 Kerberos with the Space Miner, and the Mining Laser improvement : I mean 3 from mining, 1 from Kerberos, 2 from the Space Miner's built in Mining Laser, and 2 from the improvement. That makes 8 ore total. (Kerberos's card says : Whenever at or passing by an asteroid field, gain 1 Ore.)
Wich leads to another question : in the very rare instance that two asteroid fields are in the same system, and the other one is adjacent, can Kerberos mine 10 total Ore in one go, by passing over the double field before mining the third field ? (Does he passes over the two fields ?)

It seems that we need to clarify how Kerberos special power works.

Basically you are correct, that in a case when Kerberos would have Space Miner and Mining laser you'd get 8 ore. And in the even more rare case you asked, yes, you'd get 10 ore on one round. But you can get this +1 ore only once per round for each asteroid field you pass by (eg. you are not allowed to 'fly circles' and collect the bonus more than once.

Quote:
4 Fuel Harvester : if a brown dwarf is in the same system than a planet you want to dock to, can you fill your tank by passing over one half hex and dock in the other half hex ?

Sure.Can be done.

Quote:
5 Thanks Timo for the quick answers and for making a great game(wich maybe could have used a little more playtesting i think), but i really like the half hexes exploration and trading system. And the theme. I'm just a little too young to have played Elite, but i really liked Freelancer.

Its very hard to make rulebook for game which actually has more than few options to do. It takes more than few game testers
and seemingly rather a lot of time. We used over 5 years for Phantom League and over 50 tested it before Essen 2010.
But still only now, when there're hundreds of more, have we been able to find the remaining bugs.

PL has so many possibilities, that testing all of them in advance is just not possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
offthetrailsonacrazytank
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
87654321cba
badge
what's an overtext ?
mbmbmbmbmb
1, 2, 3 & 4 : Thanks all is much clearer now
5 : blush Here's a perfect example of "Don't speak about what you don't know about..." So maybe it's not even more playtesting this game needs, just a good expansion. I will surely buy it when you and your team get it done. If i may make a suggestion for it, it would be great if you could sell it in a bigger box than the "not-too-small-box", so all the stuff from both the game and the expansion can fit in with all the cards sleeved. That would be nicecool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

1, 2, 3 & 4 : Thanks all is much clearer now
5 : Here's a perfect example of "Don't speak about what you don't know about..." So maybe it's not even more playtesting this game needs, just a good expansion. I will surely buy it when you and your team get it done. If i may make a suggestion for it, it would be great if you could sell it in a bigger box than the "not-too-small-box", so all the stuff from both the game and the expansion can fit in with all the cards sleeved. That would be nice

Nice, but unfornately not very likely. Having that large box would increase the printing price rather notably.
But lets ask it this way: Would you be willing to pay extra 3€ for larger box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Eridis wrote:
Having that large box would increase the printing price rather notably.
But lets ask it this way: Would you be willing to pay extra 3 (Euro) for larger box?

Yes.

Several games have come out lately with expansions in boxes large enough to hold the original game and the expansion (e.g., Thunderstone, Ascension, etc.). To me, it adds another good reason to buy the expansion.

I've also heard you were considering making miniatures available, will these be coming out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Shijuro wrote:
Eridis wrote:
But lets ask it this way: Would you be willing to pay extra 3 (Euro) for larger box?

Yes.

Several games have come out lately with expansions in boxes large enough to hold the original game and the expansion (e.g., Thunderstone, Ascension, etc.). To me, it adds another good reason to buy the expansion.

OK. Strong points. I will check whether this could be possible.

Quote:
I've also heard you were considering making miniatures available, will these be coming out?

Miniatyres are done. We have made very limited 16 sets print.
5 sets are still available.

more about that from:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/578558/how-to-order-phantom-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Eridis wrote:
Shijuro wrote:
Eridis wrote:

Yes.

I would also like to put my vote in for a larger box with the expansion. I'd pay more for it. I sleeved my cards last night and was disappointed I have to store a third of them in another box. The box is TIGHT! Cards unsleeved, you can barely fit everything in. With sleeves its impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We have heard you. Expansion box will be same size as 'Dominion' box.
It IS more expensive, but does make sense, still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eridis wrote:
We have heard you. Expansion box will be same size as 'Dominion' box.
It IS more expensive, but does make sense, still.

Huzzah! Great news!

Just tell me where to send my money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We are still in schedule. Thus, within April, we will put the pre-order information. There will be a limited set of six -promo- cards which are only available for those who pre-order.

But, within couple of weeks I can publish all of pre-order info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Sand
Denmark
Ishøj
Select a State or Province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Eridis wrote:
Shijuro wrote:
Eridis wrote:

Yes.

I would also like to put my vote in for a larger box with the expansion. I'd pay more for it. I sleeved my cards last night and was disappointed I have to store a third of them in another box. The box is TIGHT! Cards unsleeved, you can barely fit everything in. With sleeves its impossible.

Just out of curiosity. What size sleeves fits the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamfer wrote:
Just out of curiosity. What size sleeves fits the cards?

3.5" x 2.5" sleeves worked great. Perfect fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.