Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Sapp
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played two games last night. (4 player) In neither set was there a +2 action card, and there was only one +1 action card in each set (lighthouse and laboratory).

After losing the first game badly and getting second in the second game it occurred to me I might have had too many terminal action cards. I wondered if that thought was generizable.

Is it true to say in a +action poor set one should by relatively more coins and fewer action cards than one would normally buy when +2 action cards are available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
lantern314 wrote:
We played two games last night. (4 player) In neither set was there a +2 action card, and there was only one +1 action card in each set (lighthouse and laboratory).

After losing the first game badly and getting second in the second game it occurred to me I might have had too many terminal action cards. I wondered if that thought was generizable.

Is it true to say in a +action poor set one should by relatively more coins and fewer action cards than one would normally buy when +2 action cards are available?
That's been my experience, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"That's good. You have taken your first step into a larger world ..."

In other words, yes. In fact, it is often true even in sets with +action cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Labs are a nice card to get many of. The dominion strategy laboratory article makes this point well.

But yes, generally there aren't net plus actions (or throne room/king court's and possibly golems), then you should not have many terminal actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Green
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, yes. Furthermore, if you're playing a Single-Action-Plus-Treasure strategy, generally the best kinds of actions to get are Attacks or cards with +Card powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously one good rule of thumb is, if you're drawing a lot of action cards that you paid for and you have to discard without playing, then they might as well have been Estates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 1 terminal action for every 5 cards in your deck, you'll draw, on average, 1 terminal action each hand. Of course, you'll still have some hands with no actions and some hands with 2 actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a game like that, I would focus on getting as much Labs as I can, possibly passing up Gold.

Labs always run out fast and it's better to have a greater share than a smaller share.

Look at this graph: http://councilroom.com/win_rate_diff_accum.html?cards=Cost%3.... It shows that having the bigger share will most likely win you the game and having the smaller share will most likely lose you the game.

So the idea is to build a big Lab chain, drawing as much of your deck as possible and play a big finisher like Goons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Swenson
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KernTheGerm wrote:
Generally, yes. Furthermore, if you're playing a Single-Action-Plus-Treasure strategy, generally the best kinds of actions to get are Attacks or cards with +Card powers.

Exceptions being Remodel/Salvager/Bishop/Apprentice? etc where they can consume other terminals/duplicates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sapp
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:
"That's good. You have taken your first step into a larger world ..."

In other words, yes. In fact, it is often true even in sets with +action cards.

Ron, I feel like I've been stomping around in this larger world completely bewildered for some time now. I've been doing so much reading, and yet I still lose to my wife 4 games out of 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can post some general strategies you use and the smarties here can point out why they are faulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lantern314 wrote:
Ron, I feel like I've been stomping around in this larger world completely bewildered for some time now. I've been doing so much reading, and yet I still lose to my wife 4 games out of 5.
Reading is good, but playing is better. Playing a few dozen games on isotropic can be really educational.

But don't fret, my wife beats me regularly too.

Er... at Dominion, that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:

While this probably isn't a subtle cry for help... there is a real life "moat" you can use to protect yourself. They are called the police, and, much like the moat, they are also blue! If you ever feel threatened, give them a call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunna wrote:
gonzoron wrote:

While this probably isn't a subtle cry for help... there is a real life "moat" you can use to protect yourself. They are called the police, and, much like the moat, they are also blue! If you ever feel threatened, give them a call.

Thanks, but no, that wasn't a cry for help. I typed the first sentence and then realized it could be misconstrued and added the second. No intent to make light of domestic abuse or anything. maybe a smiley was in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.