Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miguel is learning the SK and asked to play this scenario because looking at the map he did not find good defensive positions for the Bofors guns. He said it was not possible to win with the Allies. So I took them to show him a possible defense.

This scenario is really open, with lots of tactical options for both the attacker and the defender. I think it is one of the best in SK#2 to learn the intricacies of the squad fire and movement doctrine. In this sense I also liked A ridge too far.

STRATEGY

The defender position is constrained by the SSR which forces the Bofors gun to be close but not touching. The grain fields give good cover for an assaulting force advancing low and there are no strong defensive positions. So the scenario looks pro-attacker. Really?

The buildings in the edge of the map are dangerous as the attacker can enter the map from any side. Setting up too close to the edge is giving the upper hand to the attacker. Close to the map center are some wooded areas which disrupt the possibility of a circular defense in the center.

So what are the options for the defender? As I said, there are many. I chose to use the woods and the buildings to my advantage, setting up so they would disrupt the possible axes of advance. There would be Bofors guns in boths sides of the woods and some scattered infantry in the buildings. This way, whatever is the attacker's strategy they will have to reduce small strongish points. And that will burn time.

An ASL scenario is won or lost fulfilling the victory conditions. Not saving your troops for another day. I planned to lose 2 of the 3 guns and all my infantry and still win. I put the Greek forces to cover one board edge and the Brits to cover the other two (the fourth edge is on the other side of the gaming zone, so no need to cover it). This way the leaders can stick to their own troops. Their not too far apart from each other, to give cover. The guns are on the edge of fields to avoid hindrances: the idea is to kill with each gun as many attackers as possible before falling. I created a small defense with two HS and a 7-0 to just delay the attackers for a couple of turns.

The way I see it, the attackers can come from any direction and they will meet some resistance that will be stiffened up by nearby defenders. Thus the attackers will be delayed enough that they will be able to only destroy a couple of guns.

OPENING

Miguel deployed the attackers in two groups. One group would attack the two HS and the proceed to the western gun, while the other group would use the woods to approach my infantry and pin it down while attacking the gun. In theory.

I think that this is a typical newbie approach that relies on firepower more than movement. You can rely on firepower when you have an overwhelming advantage over the defender, including heavy machineguns and excellent leaders. In this scenario the attacker has lots of infantry and leaders, but without heavy firepower. The best option then is to advance to the objective using the shortest route with an open formation that minimizes casualties and using the leaders to rally broken troops instead of directing fire.

As the Greeks were not under attack, I slowly moved them to cover the northern approach, trying to avoid defensive fire. The British troops just skulked and burned time.

MIDDLEGAME

As the game progressed I got my Greek troops covering one of the Bofor guns with their own bodies (to avoid a last turn rush), the British troops in the center were doing quite well and my position on the left had fallen and its gun was broken.

I did not try to repair the broken gun as I could as well eliminate it and help my opponent. He would have to go for it.

Miguel started pressing with the Germans too late, as his troops in the north were stuck in trading fire with the Brits and the Greeks instead of advancing and throwing the DC. The troops on the left side took the building and rushed through the grain field, but the clock was about to ring.

ENDGAME

Miguel conceded on Turn 5 as he could not destroy the remaining two Bofors guns with only one movement phase. The delay strategy had worked perfectly.

It is always worth in ASL to take your time to plan a strategy. You don't need to kill all of your enemies: you only need to fulfill the victory conditions. In this case, doing delaying actions and keeping at least one gun intact was the only requirement for victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It is always worth in ASL to take your time to plan a strategy. You don't need to kill all of your enemies: you only need to fulfill the victory conditions.

Lesson noted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mwindsor wrote:
Quote:
It is always worth in ASL to take your time to plan a strategy. You don't need to kill all of your enemies: you only need to fulfill the victory conditions.

Lesson noted.

Sometimes the heat of the moment could blur this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmb
This scenario I had a good time with, but sadly I lost it because one of my guns broke, and stupidly, on the last turn, I attempted to repair it and boom! I cost myself the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
This scenario I had a good time with, but sadly I lost it because one of my guns broke, and stupidly, on the last turn, I attempted to repair it and boom! I cost myself the game.

Yep, sometimes you have to refrain from some instinctive actions because you could lose much more than the expected win.

I think this scenario in particular is good to learn things like this, like in S2 War of the rats how you can lose all the board but still win thanks to a eleventh hour reinforcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Ramaille
France
Meaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the AAR !

I played it too. British guns and woods were concentrated on the forest. The Fallschirmjäger concentrated their assult by coming through the main grain field The power of the guns wreak havoc on the germans coming too close A major victory for the Allied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Ramaille
France
Meaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second game.
Guns were setup too close from the north edge. Easy victory for the germans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.