Subject: What is a good miniature game you can play solitaire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I collect and paint a bunch of different Warhammer Fantasy miniatures, but I don't often get to play. There aren't a lot of people in my area that play, and my work schedule doesn't give me much time to play at the local game shop. I was wondering if there were any miniature games that you can play solitaire? By that I don't mean setting up two armies, then going back and forth to the other side of the table. Maybe something that gives you a set rule on how a unit should operate or something like that. Does such a thing exist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay, you ever check out Ogre Miniatures?

In Ogre, a gigantic robot/tank is crushing it's way through an army of infrantry, tanks etc towards an objective... it's a real cool solo game because you can just "program" the tank to just keep moving closer to the objective, and than play the army trying to stop it.

it is aggravating when there are Warhammer games being played and you're too busy to hit them up. Same thing keeps happening to me with D&D4e as well. Are you going to Origins this year? Massive mini action at that thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
No, I don't really go to conventions. I work during most of the day, so unless I could get a game in early morning or late at night, I'm kind of out of luck. :/ I might try figuring out something myself just to keep me entertained. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison has formal solitaire rules, and games like Defenders of the Realm and DungeonQuest (third edition) play very well solo, but all of those come with figures, and have specific rules for each. Sounds like you're looking for a place to use your own minis, in which case I'd recommend you head over to Rpggeek and see what those folks suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this one: Warrior Heroes: Armies & Adventures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Dorrington
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rally Round the King is definitely worth checking out to. Like most Two Hour Wargames (THW Game Design) products (incl. Brett's suggestion of Warrior Heroes: Armies & Adventures), the reaction system means that it plays well solo and Rally Round the King also includes a section on solo gaming (basically the reaction system handles how units react to what's happening around them while the solo section handles overall tactics).

If you're not adverse to yahoo groups it'd definitely be worth joining the solo wargame group (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SoloWarGame/?yguid=33559...) and asking there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmidt

Ashburn
Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Hour Wargames (THW Game Design) is what you are looking for. These mini games are set up to be played solo, head to head, or co-op.

Since you mentioned Warhammer Fantasy minis, you should start with the free Chain Reaction 3.0: Swordplay to see if you like the basic rules. If you like the system, you can get the more detailed supplements Warrior Heroes: Armies & Adventures and Rally Round the King. These will cover anything from skirmishes to big armies.

If you're looking for somethings more modern, check out Chain Reaction 3.0 (also free). 2 Hour offers a bunch of expansions for different time periods and genres: NUTS! Second Edition - WW2, FNG: Unconventional Warfare - Vietnam, All Things Zombie: Better Dead Than Zed! - Zombie Apocalypse, 5150 - scifi, Larger Than Life: The Game of Pulp Adventures - pulp...

Edit: Looks like someone beat me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eternaldream wrote:
Maybe something that gives you a set rule on how a unit should operate or something like that. Does such a thing exist?

Check out Ambush Alley. I really like the solo rules of this one. Asymmetrical warfare, ostensibly modern Iraq or Afghanistan, but I've seen and/or played everything from the Zulus at Rorke's Drift to Star Wars (with my kids' legos. No really! all those are their legos! ninja )

Anyhow, the lesser trained but more mobile generic Bad Guys and facing down the well-trained generic Good Guys. Great game!

Second to that is Nuts and the Chain Reaction 3 and 5150 from Two Hour Wargames. Not as good as the Alley, but still fun.

Both are great offerings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Jay,

You can also try this out. It's a solo scenario written for d&d miniatures. I'm not too familiar with warhammer but it may give you some ideas. It was passed along to me and helped me out quite a bit since I don't have a steady gaming group that plays the d&d minis game.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20050714a

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.