Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Horn
United States
FPO
AE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys. Quick thanks up front for the help.

I just acquired a used copy of RftG and the first two expansions, and have only played the base game once. Usually I would just play with the base cards until I felt comfortable, then add in the first expansion until I felt comfortable, then add in the third. Then, of course, buy the fourth.

But the set I bought just had all the cards together from all 3 sets. Is this a problem, should I find a card list and go through and remove the cards from Gathering Storm and Rebel vs Imperium? This is my inclination, but as I don't know the game, I don't know how the cards feel from the expansions. Thanks again!

Jiiri
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Smith

Cedar Rapids
Iowa
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd strongly recommend separating them out and playing only with the base game for at least 20+ games or until you feel the need to bump up the game. You'll get a lot more out of it that way. As for how to separate the cards, each card has a series of strokes at the bottom left (zero for the base, one for the first expansion and so on), so it's easy to remove them back to the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, comparison of base game card with an expanion #1 card.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Horn
United States
FPO
AE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both. This is why BGG rocks, to have a community of helpful, friendly people that freely share their knowledge is great.

I surely would have spent too much time with a cardlist sorting if not for your help. Thanks!

Jiiri
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One tweak we do when playing base game only is to remove the base game's Gambling World and use the one from the second expansion. We think the game mechanic for gambling on that card is superior to the original idea used in the base game and first expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want to get a jump start on reaching "full expansion Race", you could start with the gathering storm cards (1 tick mark), but not the goals.

Tom mentioned somewhere on here that he designed the 1st expansion to still be newbie friendly, unlike the 2nd and 3rd expansion.

Personally, I would recommend just base set as the others above me have, but wanted to throw this option into the mix just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Horn
United States
FPO
AE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - I removed the 1st and 2nd expansion cards and will just tuck the expansions away until I get a handle on the game. I'm mainly hoping to play with my wife who is not a hardcore gamer but loves San Juan, so I don't want to add any more complexity if I can help it.

Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The helpful information is also on page 2 of the rules for "Gathering Storm", middle of the page (just before the "GOALS" header). Do you get all the rulebooks with your set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.