Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like games with what I call Inter-Player Commerce. I'm not sure if there is a different term out there that conveys this idea, so let me give a couple of examples of games that have this type of interaction:

1 - Monopoly: The players pay rent to other players.
2 - Steam: Players can use others' tracks to ship goods, which gives the owner of the track money/points.

As I'm fairly new to the hobby, these are the only two examples I can think of off the top of my head.

I guess the main idea behind this type of interaction is that the players have a sort of economy within the game where players pay other players for goods or services. Does anyone know of any other games where this Inter-Player Commerce is central to the games design? Or is there a more accurate term that I could just check in the advanced search? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Acquire
7 Wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game you are looking for is Container. Anything else anyone suggests [including anything I'm likely to suggest in a follow-up post] is but a pale shadow. "Interplayer commerce" is, quite literally, all that Container is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Weinstein
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Container is the first one that springs to mind. Container is all player commerce as any goods that you produce must be shipped by others and vice-versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do enjoy Acquire and I've been wanting to try 7 Wonders. Thanks for the tip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I think I will check out Container. Sounds interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other ideas:

Genoa: Nearly everything you do in the game is the result of paying other people for the right to do it.

Catan: Has a lot of free-wheeling trading, akin to the trading phase in Monopoly.

Key Harvest: Allows you to put things up "for sale" in your shop, and name your price. SORT OF [but not really] Container-lite.

Mhing and Poker and most Mahjong variants have the losers pay the winner [yes, I know, this probably really isn't what you're looking for].

Oasis and Nicht die Bohne! share an interesting mechanism of making "offers" that the lead player gets to choose among; if yours is chosen, you choose from what's left.

Pit and Wheedle are simplistic trading games meant to emulate the fast-paced feel of the stock exchange floor, to some extent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
The game you are looking for is Container. Anything else anyone suggests [including anything I'm likely to suggest in a follow-up post] is but a pale shadow. "Interplayer commerce" is, quite literally, all that Container is.

2nded. And speaking of seconds, Container: The Second Shipment comes to mind too... not only are you buying from and selling to the other players, but now you can give them loans, and foreclose on their stuff when they can't pay you back. Plus it's got those nifty looking gold luxury containers going for it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make sure you go in over your head - this: Civilizationis the grandaddy of all trading games right down to chaotic calling out of products in the trading round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
svasongha wrote:
I like games with what I call Inter-Player Commerce. I'm not sure if there is a different term out there that conveys this idea, so let me give a couple of examples of games that have this type of interaction:

1 - Monopoly: The players pay rent to other players.
2 - Steam: Players can use others' tracks to ship goods, which gives the owner of the track money/points.

As I'm fairly new to the hobby, these are the only two examples I can think of off the top of my head.

I guess the main idea behind this type of interaction is that the players have a sort of economy within the game where players pay other players for goods or services. Does anyone know of any other games where this Inter-Player Commerce is central to the games design? Or is there a more accurate term that I could just check in the advanced search? Thanks!

Would the 18xx series of games fill your request? Have a look see at 1830 for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Klunker is an underrated game that fits your requirements. An excellent, very tense game.

You might find something approaching what you're after in Santiago and Goa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.R. Shoenberger
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chinatown and Santiago are both cool with their trading and bribing focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Chinatown and Civilization

-1 for 7 Wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking Container is the game that most fits what I'm looking for. It is now a resident on my wish list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I may need to try Chinatown and Santiago also...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.