Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave O
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb

I'm missing something and I can't find the information I'm looking for.

I can't find anything in the rulebook that explains the value of monster trophies, but the Official FAQ says:

Q: When spending monster trophies, do you count any modifiers to toughness currently in effect?

A: Yes, use the modified toughness. This bonus applies to the use of any monster trophies spent at any location.

So I'm inferring that the toughness of the monster determines it's value?

Where exactly is this explained in the game contents? Am I blind or is it hiding somewhere not so obvious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
When a monster trophy can be spent - the wording is usually along the lines of ...spending 5 toughness worth of monster trophies...and toughness is defined under Combat (2) B - Fight (Page 15):

....monster's toughness, which is represented by the number of "blood drop" icons that appear in the lower center of the monster's combat side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave O
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb

Thanks Richard. I definitely missed the "spend 5 toughness worth of monster trophies" wording. I got tunnel vision when I couldn't find the answer in the rulebook and wasn't sure where else to look. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g r
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On the same topic, but a slightly different angle:

When determining the modifiers for the worth of the monster trophy, should you use the modifiers at the time when the monster was killed, or when the trophy was spent? For example, there is a mythos environment card that increases the toughness of cultists - if you already have a stack of cultists in your hand, can you spent them at the new value, or is it only for cultists killed while the environment is in play? My gut feeling is the latter - the worth is based on how difficult the monster was to kill... but this came up in our last game, and I thought I would ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
teatimestar wrote:
On the same topic, but a slightly different angle:

When determining the modifiers for the worth of the monster trophy, should you use the modifiers at the time when the monster was killed, or when the trophy was spent? For example, there is a mythos environment card that increases the toughness of cultists - if you already have a stack of cultists in your hand, can you spent them at the new value, or is it only for cultists killed while the environment is in play? My gut feeling is the latter - the worth is based on how difficult the monster was to kill... but this came up in our last game, and I thought I would ask.

At the time you turn them in. So this may or may not be a benefit depending on the value at the time you killed it. But there is no in-game mechanic to keep track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan is right. Don't forget that the value of your trophies can go down as well a go up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
I personally love killing cultists, or a witch, and then draw The Carnival AND the Great Ritual. Hellooooo science building!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.