Subject: I got invited to a boardgame bar by a non-gamer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just had a most interesting phone call! An Australian friend of mine just called and invited me to go to a boardgame bar with her & some friends on Saturday night. She said that she had spent last Saturday night in Shanghai playing and enjoyed it. She asked if I had ever heard of a game called "Settlement". I said, yes I know Settlers well and I bought the first English edition that was ever available (back when you had to buy the German edition and print the rules translation from USENET). She paid 68 yuan and got dinner (some sort of Thai) as well as got to play games from 6pm to 1am. I'd never heard of a place that served dinner before, though. Usually just dry snacks and soft drinks.

This lady has never mentioned boardgames before and isn't really the type at all. I just thought it was interesting that she, a normal person, thought that this was something that people should do. However, I doubt that we have a boardgame bar in my city. We had one, but last I saw it had converted over to a straight internet cafe. If she can't find one, then I'll just bring my China Rails or Modern Art to a teahouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Javoroski
United States
Keota
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want one of these things of which you speak. Thai food plus board games all night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Riekman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
I am the very model of a modern Major-General, I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral, I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;
mbmb
We have quite a few boardgame bars here in Tianjin, but Thai food AND boardgames? That's genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
I just thought it was interesting that she, a normal person, thought that this was something that people should do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
Brought to you by Zik Zak
mbmbmbmbmb
brotherbock wrote:
I want one of these things of which you speak. Thai food plus board games all night.

Then you would be jealous of the LA Gamers group. After the coffee shop that loves us closes at 11pm on Fridays, we walk half a block to a great cheap cheap cheap Thai place and start playing games there, sometimes until they close at 2:30 in the morning. Tichu is quite often in order, but some have setup Agricola and gone all out on the large tables in the booths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek is the new cool.

No, seriously. There are so many stealth geeks around these days. My sister-in-law (who is TOTALLY not the type, although my fiancée definitely had a corrupting influence on her ) even confessed to us that she recently started playing Settlers weekly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brotherbock wrote:

Seriously. If there are two things for which I have an insatiable appetite, they are Thai food and board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:
No, seriously. There are so many stealth geeks around these days. My sister-in-law (who is TOTALLY not the type, although my fiancée definitely had a corrupting influence on her ) even confessed to us that she recently started playing Settlers weekly.

Well, I'd say the opposite, that Settlers crossed over the other way and is now a "normal" game, like Risk or Monopoly.

What I thought was interesting about this encounter was the boardgame bar aspect. I've known about them, been to a couple, but it was never really on the radar as a social place that people I know would go. AFAIK, the local style of boardgame bar doesn't exist elsewhere, as the target demographic of gameplayers can't afford to spend 5-15% of a month's salary to buy a single game. Indeed, many Western buyers are not players at all, but rather collectors who buy for the sheer pleasure of owning games. I'll post a follow-up after Saturday night with photos, if we end up going to a boardgame bar. I'll also try to find a link to that place in Shanghai that my friend went to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Germany
Pforzheim
Baden- Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to have such a Bar arround here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as a followup, Saturday night gaming was a bust. First, my friend couldn't locate any boardgame bars. However, I get the idea that she didn't look very hard. Second, we really didn't have enough people as my friend only brought one of her friends (and 4 kids of various nationalities). Then, after dinner, her friend left, leaving us with two adults and one kid. We ended up trying to go to a teahouse to play cribbage with my cribbage board, but the place was full. Another teahouse was closed, and the third one was gone due to subway construction. Very lame evening. Will post something again next time I try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another follow-up for the archives: the boardgame bar that my friend went to is Unicolor Cafe in Shanghai. 2066 Nanjing Xi Lu, near Zhenning Lu. 南京西路2066号,近镇宁路. +86 21-61535992

City Weekend Says:
This board game cafe has a friendly environment and lots of gaming options for those inclined. They've got the normal range of cafe options, but look out for their club sandwich--it's got a unique twist to it.

Unicolor Cafe on Flickr

The boss of unicolor cafe playing tantrix solitaire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.