Subject: Looking for fantasy themed boardgame for five year old girl rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Curtis
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play a Talisman\Runebound like game with my five year old daughter - exploring a world/dungeon - picking up cards (basic fighting or none-at-all) gaining treaures. But find some games are a little too dark for her or have combat rules that are a little too complicated.

Basically looking for a simple roll and move boardgame with cards to pick up themed fantasy/fairy.

Anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Drakon (third edition) might work. it's a tile based dungeon crawl. The rules are simple. The tiles have various powers, and you do whatever is on the tile you move to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Labyrinth might be an option.

P.S. You're a good Dad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm...no idea if this is suitable or even close to what you have in mind, but you might want to have a look at The Hobbit Adventure Boardgame. There is a pretty good description of the game here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeoneer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Castle Panic is what you're looking for. Haven't played it with kids myself, but one of the guys in my group has and said it went great. The mechanics are easy to understand, and the theme is lite medieval fantasy.

Most importantly, the game is VERY fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Curtis
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for suggestions and comments (and geekgold!)

Draken and Amazing Labyrinth look good (there seem to be many variants of Labyrinth - Master, Secret - is there much difference bewteen them - is one considered better than the others?)

Hobbit boardgame looks like it may be hard to get hold of?

Dungeoneer looks a little too dark and complex for a five year old ("Daddy whats a necromancer?") Though is one that I will bear in mind as she gets older - if her interest in Daddy's games persists ...

Would still be grateful to hear any other suggestions. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chateau roquefort?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
Wales
Swansea
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
badge
I iz a soot sprite.
mbmbmbmbmb
Enchanted Forest - no combat but has a collecting treasures theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the Hobbit boardgame mightn't be that easy to get hold of. I was lucky and got the German version from eBay (I think for € 1) and I've seen a couple more, but I don't know about the English version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you try Talisman? I enjoy it most as a family game, with adults only the game feels too simple and luck-filled. You would of course need to read the cards to her, and you probably want to cut down on playing time by making it easier to get hold of a Talisman and getting into the center part of the board, but apart from that it works really well with kids. I have played it with my daughter since she was seven, since that is how old she was when I got the game, but she would probably have enjoyed the game even earlier.

Can't really think of any other game that would work. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the Labyrinth, there's a geeklist with comments on the different versions: Ravensburger Labyrinth Games Series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
Wales
Swansea
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
badge
I iz a soot sprite.
mbmbmbmbmb
rynosseros wrote:
Thanks for suggestions and comments (and geekgold!)
Draken and Amazing Labyrinth look good (there seem to be many variants of Labyrinth - Master, Secret - is there much difference bewteen them - is one considered better than the others?)

Master Labyrinth is slightly deeper then Amazing Labyrinth. There's a good comparisons on the versions here - http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/504564/the-amazeing-labyrint...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
have no idea how available it is but Enchanted Forest is cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
Wales
Swansea
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
badge
I iz a soot sprite.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
have no idea how available it is but Enchanted Forest is cool.

It seems to be available on Amazon UK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Curtis
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the further information.

Labyrinth looks like a good bet - and nice and cheapish on Amazon.

I have the GW Talisman with several expansions but I havent tried playing it with her yet. I seem to recall that some of the adventure cards involved demons and devils and the like. Something I am trying to avoid - I know, difficult with the fantasy theme.

Enchanted Forest looks a little too simplistic.

And still looking for something with a nice large set of cards like the adventure cards in Talisman - maybe I should just edit the Talisman deck ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play The Sorcerer's Cave with my two sons (6 and 3yo) and they really enjoy it. It's simple enough for them although my youngest son needs a little help with combat, and fun for me too.

Be prepared to fill your whole living room with dungeon tiles though

Another game, if they like Mazes is the The Magic Labyrinth. Both my sons enjoy it although the younger one gets a bit frustrated...but for a 5yo I think it'd be perfect....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Fairy Tale in my Pocket would work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Labyrinth is a good choice. I'd also recommend The Hobbit that was themed off the Rankin Bass animated film. While you're at it, get the DVD for her, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Munchkin Quest with some house rules applied to remove the backstabbing elements from the game.

The board is modular and the monster are very cute for the most part. Nothing scary for a 5 year old. Game play is very simple and straight forward. I believe this would be enjoyable for a 5 year old and have good replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith-Stoe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings is built for young children. My children loved it. And I'm sure my nine year old daughter would still be down for a game of it if she was looking for a spot of distraction from beating her parents at Innovation.

There are no cards. But you can add tiles to your fellowship to be turned in later for extra turns. The theme and bits are really fun for your daughters age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be able to find on ebay or at thrift stores Fantasy Forest (definitely age-appropriate) or Dungeon! (also around as "The New Dungeon" and "Classic Dungeon) (which could be made age-appropriate with a few simple mods). Those were the fantasy gateway games of my childhood, and having recently replayed Dungeon, I can attest that the old classics still hold up well as fun, light games. Originally, both were put out by TSR as a thinly veiled gateway into D&D.

Of course, today's thinly veiled gateway into D&D is Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, which (being a co-op game) should also work as a gateway family game as long as you handle the reading part. I have seen young children at cons playing this with their parents. The kids can handle the movement, tile flipping and dice rolling, but you may have to simplify the character powers a little if you want the kids to handle attack decisions. If you are worried about the undead/vampire theme, they are coming out with another version this spring sometime Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game.

Although the line has been canceled, another possible gateway into fantasy fun is Heroscape Master Set: Battle for the Underdark, which I have read lots of accounts of parents playing with young children. They make it really kid-friendly not only because of the toy factor, but also because they include a stripped-down ruleset and every character card has a a basic side that eliminates the complex special abilities. The play time is really quick, and part of the fun is the lego-like assembly of the terrain. Truly, one of the most age-scaleable games I have ever encountered as the full ruleset becomes a fantastic tactical game that adults can enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
I think just editing the deck of your expanded talisman would a fine money saving option. With any number of expansions, it should be easy to still have plenty of adventure cards. I'd also second the Lord of the Rings, kids version. It has a fantastic bits, and you never completely lose, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Princess is fantasy themed and perfect for a five year-old girl (but don't discount it for older folk of either gender!) Not so much board-game adventury, but I've found it prompts quite a bit of roleplaying and adventures of the imagination in a way that still retains the focus of a board game. She will love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith-Stoe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great_Mazinga wrote:
I think just editing the deck of your expanded talisman would a fine money saving option. With any number of expansions, it should be easy to still have plenty of adventure cards. I'd also second the Lord of the Rings, kids version. It has a fantastic bits, and you never completely lose, I believe.

One player can win the game. Without a variant the game is not a coop. But of course the goal is the same for all of the players, defeat Sauron. You are correct though, o' recently retired Thrift King, that the game doesn't beat you. Players keep at it until Sauron is no more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.