Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Garcia
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't use the mats for our coins but we do use the mat for the Trade Route card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
What is the point of the 8 mats? Thanks

To have more bits in the box.

You can put your VPs on them, but why would you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghorsche wrote:

We put our VP chips on the mats. When i get a 5 chit, i don't give the 4 1's back to the supply; i just slide them off the mat; and when i get the next VP, i pick on of them and put it back onto the mat. So in our games, there are VP chits everywhere near the players, and the ones on the mats are the ones that are valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghorsche wrote:
To have more bits in the box.

Sometimes publishers bulk up a game in order to make the price more psychologically acceptable.

Even if the majority of work was put into playtesting, design and other intangibles that affect the quality of play, many people link the perceived value of a game to the quantity and quality of its physical components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm on a podcast! - www.playontarget.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We often play on a small table. The mats help keep player VPs separate from the pile of unclaimed VP tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lindsay-Levine
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghorsche wrote:

Keeps things slightly more organized, and the art's pretty. Also I can tweak Kirsten by asking for "the one with the river".

Seriously though, in my experience for many people a surprisingly large part of the enjoyment of a particular game comes from handling, viewing, and interacting with its actual physical components. When I've playtested with very crude mockups with no art, or played software versions of games, I sometimes find myself really missing that visceral interaction. Maybe the mats can provide some of that feel factor for some people; card sleeves aren't necessary either, but now it doesn't quite feel like playing proper Dominion to me without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
What is the point of the 8 mats? Thanks

For most instances, just to have a choice. However, it allows you to play up to 8 players and everybody can have their own mat. The other mats are specific to a given card; however, there are several cards that give vp tokens. So, if you played 8 player, meaning two tables of 4, and both tables had a card that gave vp tokens, and you like to use the mats, you'd need all 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.