Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
77 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: South Dakota to consider bill that would legalize murder of abortion providers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, what?

(link)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Jeff
United States
Sterling
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the most ridiculous, misguided, right-wing extremist moves I have ever seen. Shame on you supporters of this bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But it's consistent. If you believe abortion is murder (and it's a defensible position) then why wouldn't you prosecute it as murder.

We allow abortion because the consequences of illegal abortion were horrific. And probably to some extent because the wealthy were able to get it safely anyway which made it's illegality hard to defend..

---
Post Script added later.
Ah.. I thought this was state sponsored punishment, not allowing vigilantism. Bad path to start down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Now ask yourself whether describing it as a "bill that would legalize murder of abortion providers" is really an accurate description.

Italicizing the parts of the proposed amendment that are relevant:

"Homicide is justifiable if committed by any person in the lawful defense of such person, or of his or her husband, wife, parent, child, master, mistress, or servant, or the unborn child of any such enumerated person, if there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design to commit a felony, or to do some great personal injury, and imminent danger of such design being."

The first bit legalizes the murder. The second bit extends justifiable self-defense homicide to protection of a fetus with a familial relationship, exclusive of whether or not the carrying mother is similarly endangered. The third bit makes it quite clear that you don't even have to be committing a felonious act in order to be a target of justifiable homicide so long as you're committing an injurious act against said fetus, and an abortion would certainly qualify. The final bit, based on general criminal law precedents throughout United States common law, would likely enable someone to kill an abortion provider if that person was to perform an abortion on said fetus even not at the time but was to do so shortly (say, within the next day or so).

This isn't some ginned-up conspiracy theory, Drew. This is nothing less than an attempt to legalize vigilantism and murder in the name of the pro-life movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Now ask yourself whether describing it as a "bill that would legalize murder of abortion providers" is really an accurate description.

This isn't some ginned-up conspiracy theory, Drew. This is nothing less than an attempt to legalize vigilantism and murder in the name of the pro-life movement.

I think Drew has a point, mainly because you've exaggerated the bill. To be specific, you're attributing a superset of what the bill actually allows.

"Legalizing murder of abortion providers" implies that it would be legal for me to gun down a random abortion provider on the street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seems like lots of grey areas here.

Can I blow up the whole abortion clinic or just gun down the doctors? If the doctor promises not to do it anymore can I still go ahead and chop of his hands? If I think a factory is polluting the local water supply and thus increasing the prospect that my wife will miscarry can I shoot the whole board of directors?

They really need to think about this some more and clarify these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
"Legalizing murder of abortion providers" implies that it would be legal for me to gun down a random abortion provider on the street.

Under this law, Chad, if you believed he was going to his clinic to abort a fetus to which you had some relation, it would be. The bill is repugnant, and I have pretty much zero patience for the "oh you're exaggerating how bad it is" complaint because this is about as bad as a law can reasonably get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why we fly over Flyover Country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
Wait, what?

(link)

Is there a less.. um... tabloidesque source for this issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I think Drew has a point, mainly because you've exaggerated the bill. To be specific, you're attributing a superset of what the bill actually allows.

If Joe (fictional name) finds out his granddaughter is going to get an abortion and shoots the provider. That homicide would be justified under this bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
whac3 wrote:

Drew posted a link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Setting aside the issue of whether Mother Jones is "tabloidesque" for the moment, the story contains a link to the actual proposed amendment itself and Drew has also provided that link. The amendment itself is remarkably straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an interesting thought, if the bill allows one to kill someone who is going to harm a fetus, could you in fact shoot the mother of said fetus if she were in fact about to down an entire bottle of vodka? Or maybe shoot the person you just had a one night stand with because she was about to pop the morning after pill. Slippery slope arguments are so much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not worded the best, and I trust they'll work that out. However, there is no need to get hysterical about it and attribute intent that just isn't there.

This kind of hysterics from both sides is why it's impossible to have a reasonable political discussion anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 1 can slide by while we iron out the language, but I truly hope nobody is defending this by the time the second page gets here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
I had an interesting thought, if the bill allows one to kill someone who is going to harm a fetus, could you in fact shoot the mother of said fetus if she were in fact about to down an entire bottle of vodka? Or maybe shoot the person you just had a one night stand with because she was about to pop the morning after pill. Slippery slope arguments are so much fun.

Yes, and then you're entitled to shoot yourself to prevent yourself from shooting the mother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Servent, Master, Mistress" part has me curious. Will this mean that if I own a company and one of my employees decides to get an abortion, that i can shoot the doctor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
The "Servent, Master, Mistress" part has me curious. Will this mean that if I own a company and one of my employees decides to get an abortion, that i can shoot to the doctor?

Seems like a lot of room for interpretation. I think the safest bet is never to go to South Dakota.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have an affair, and knock up my mistress. She decides she's going to keep the kid because she wants to take me to court for child support.

I can kill her, and claim it was in defense of the fetus because she was going to get an abortion, and that could be a justifiable defense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
So I have an affair, and knock up my mistress. She decides she's going to keep the kid because she wants to take me to court for child support.

I can kill her, and claim it was in defense of the fetus because she was going to get an abortion, and that could be a justifiable defense?

Not any more than any other murder that you conspire to cover up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"South Dakota: shoot it on her face, so we don't have to shoot you in yours."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

Not any more than any other murder that you conspire to cover up.

I'm not saying it's going to work, I'm just asking if I could claim it during my trial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if my daughter gets raped, and that rape results in a pregency, then my wife and daughter decide to get an abortion which I've objected to, I can shoot my wife and the doctor to prevent the abortion, and get the added bonus of not having my nagging wife around any more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
It's not worded the best, and I trust they'll work that out. However, there is no need to get hysterical about it and attribute intent that just isn't there.

This kind of hysterics from both sides is why it's impossible to have a reasonable political discussion anymore.

Eric, there's basically no other possible intent. The previous iteration of the law already extended the justifiable homicide defense to anybody trying to protect a fetus from violence directed at its carrying mother that might potentially harm it; this bill extends the justifiable homicide defense to anybody specifically trying to harm the fetus itself. Can you come up with any violent act that specifically targets a fetus other than an abortion?

The law was designed by conservative Republicans working in concert with pro-life groups. Pretending that they didn't know exactly what they were doing when they wrote this amendment is ludicrous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Dispaminite wrote:

Except you kill the fetus by doing that. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.