Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This forum does not see a lot of action, but I thought I would post this anyway. Here's the situation:

1/RM + 1/S start their turn on a hex that is a Class 3 lakeside (Lake Champlain). A bateaux is moving south from St Johns to Ticonderga along the lake. Normally, the bateaux could "pick up" those units and transport them (as long as it had 3 more transport points available) to Ticonderoga.

Here's the question:
Does it make a difference if there are Tory Militia SPs on the same hex?

If the bateaux were just "passing by" the TM would not affect its movement, since it is a Class 3 hexside. However, I was wondering whether the bateaux could successfully "embark" units if enemy SPs were on the same hex. It seems like it shouldn't be possible but my reading of the rules says that it could be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, another spin on the same question:

The Americans have combat units in St Johns along with 2 bateaux units, both of which are facing the Lake Champlain hexside.
The British have a single TM besieging the fort.

Can the Americans escape via bateaux without having to engage the TM when they emerge from the fort?

If St Johns was a port, and the bateaux were naval units, I believe this would be allowed. However this is a bateaux outside the fort on a Class 3 lake hexside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pratto
United States
Peabody
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, Bateaux can only transport units that begin the movement phase adjacent to the Bateau's hexside. The presence of enemy SPs adjacent to that hexside has no effect. So yes, you can embark even if stacked with enemy SPs and even on Class 1 or 2 river hexsides. The presence of enemy units only matters when you are trying to disembark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pratto
United States
Peabody
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In answer to the second question, yes, the Americans can escape without engaging the TM. This is covered in rule D. FORTS, EFFECT ON MOVEMENT, 4th bullet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug Pratto wrote:
First of all, Bateaux can only transport units that begin the movement phase adjacent to the Bateau's hexside. The presence of enemy SPs adjacent to that hexside has no effect. So yes, you can embark even if stacked with enemy SPs and even on Class 1 or 2 river hexsides. The presence of enemy units only matters when you are trying to disembark.

D'oh! Bateaux can "drop off" units along the way, but can't pick them up.
Makes the question moot, doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There it is in all its red glory, right in the rulebook...
How in the world did I miss that?

Awesomely fast response, by the way.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.