Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i do not have the game yet, but am about to purchase...however,we seem to always have 4 players for almost all our games...now, i am familiar with Memoir 44 and Overlord, but FFG hasn't gone that far (yet)...so, would any of these work:

- could you 'split' command using the base game and still have it be fun?
- if i bought 2 base games, could i join the boards (like in memoir overlord), and maybe somehow paint 1/2 of each larger now army to somehow indicate the seperation? (take all red pcs from 1 base set and give them a diff color base, or something)...would that even make sense? (you'd have 2 of every leader, etc.)
- or, if i had the 2 expansions that are avail now, could those 2 with the 2 sets from the base game be enough to have a fun 4p game with 4 sep armies? (with just the base board, and with a 2nd base game board?)

or is there a much easier solution? (smile)...thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you could play with 4 players. In Westeros, players alternate giving an order through a token or card. Let's say that players A and B are playing vs. players X and Y. Give each player control over at least one leader.

Play in sequence:
A
X
B
Y
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Yes, you could play with 4 players. In Westeros, players alternate giving an order through a token or card. Let's say that players A and B are playing vs. players X and Y. Give each player control over at least one leader.

Play in sequence:
A
X
B
Y

would it be better to add the 2 expansions? (have you tried them)...and, based on your reply only the base game would be needed, but IF you wanted something a little more epic do you think your sequence would also work with 2 base games/boards (and maybe just use the leaders/commanders from 1 set)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use two boards--they are structured to fit together, but there are no scenarios that are designed for multiple sets.

I have the Stark and Lannister expansions, but haven't played with them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a scenario for 4 players.

It combines two core sets (two boards plus figures) and was available in the promo items for the Song of Ice and Fire Days event at the FFG EC in Minneapolis when George RR Martin showed up.

I have a copy and as long as it's not IP infringement etc I'll upload it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
You could use two boards--they are structured to fit together, but there are no scenarios that are designed for multiple sets.

I have the Stark and Lannister expansions, but haven't played with them yet.
the expansions (at least 1 for sure) come with new minis/troops i believe...but i think they are just supplements; wouldn't make a good stand-alone army...i was thinking of maybe 2 base sets/2 boards and only using the leaders from 1 set (give each of the 4 players a leader and basically a base set worth of troops, and have 2 vs 2)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LannisterGold wrote:
There is a scenario for 4 players.

It combines two core sets (two boards plus figures) and was available in the promo items for the Song of Ice and Fire Days event at the FFG EC in Minneapolis when George RR Martin showed up.

I have a copy and as long as it's not IP infringement etc I'll upload it.
that would be great, or simply email it to me if poss (vwagoner1@aol.com)...i'm def leaning towards getting 2 base sets (since almost all our games are 4p)...if any of you have used them would you suggest i add either/both of the avail expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both of the expansions but haven't really gotten into them yet. I love the game but its one someone needs to really understand and enjoy playing the different scenarios so it doesn't see as much table time as I'd like from the difficulty of finding someone else who's willing to put that effort into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really see the point of playing with 4 players. If you buy two base sets, then I would just run two games side by side. I don't think that any fun will be added to the game by having a large game with assigned commanders, but, if you must do it, here's what I suggest.

Give each player a hand of three cards and two commanders. Let the members of each team take their turns simultaneously, so both Lannister players each do something in whatever order, then both Stark players each do something in any order. Any player can pass at any time, but then they are out until the next round, but their teammate can continue, obviously. This would keep the game fast-paced. But, with 4 commanders on the board and a ton of units, 4-6 unit activations per turn should be okay.

Actually, this sounds like an interesting variant. I may do a two card/order per turn variant epic game once I get the expansion figures painted up. I already made an expansion board by photocopying my existing board and mounting the copies onto an old Trivial Pursuit board, so that extends the existing board by about two-thirds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ian, thanks for the suggestion...our situation is that we have 2 couples, who want to play all together, so it's 4 or 2 (and we'd rather have the 4)...so i'm willing to buy 2 base games, and regardless of senarios/outcome, as long as we all have fun it will "work"...i just want each team member to have enough of his/her own troops that they stay interested...and if it works, then next "game night" with the guys i'll try and get it to the table...

so...that being said, is there any advantge/fun in having either or both of the existing expansions? thanks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I unfortunately haven't played with either expansion, so I can't comment on how well the expansions play, but I am satisfied by both expansions, particularly with the content of the Lannister expansion. Also, that gives you access to the coolest Lannister commanders, i.e. Tyrion and the Hound.

I'm not as happy with the commanders of the Stark expansion, but the mechanics and scenarios are great, as always. Also, it does feel like the two expansions "complete" the core game, as several of the core mechanics, like morale, for example, don't have much of an effect without the expansions.

Before you go out and purchase a second core set, I would give this 4-player thing a whirl. I suggest playing Scenario 1 and just let each player on a team get a chance to play a card or an order token, sharing decisions as much as possible. If the players enjoy that, then they're likely to dig the more involved larger scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.