Subject: My Next Solo Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I often have a wargame set up on my table for solo play, either real or virtual. At the moment, however, I'm between games and having trouble deciding which one to put on the table next. The top contenders, in no particular order, are Burma, World in Flames, or the next game in my ongoing Solitaire ASL campaign.

I have never yet played WiF or an OCS game, so in both cases these will be learning endeavors (a big reason for playing solo, so I can take my time and read the relevant rules sections prior to each move until I'm sure I've got them right).

With WiF, I intend to play both the Barbarossa and Guadalcanal scenarios (in that order) to familiarize myself with the relevant rules. For Burma, I'm going to find the shortest scenario (not necessarily the smallest) and play that.

Lots of people do this, however, so you may be wondering why I'm bothering to inform everyone who reads this forum. I have an easy answer to that. Assuming I like the game I learn next, you'll be getting an opponent who'll happily play via VASSAL, either live or PBEM. (In the case of the Solitaire ASL campaign, you'll get a session report like I've done for all the others.)

So which game shall I play next?
Poll
Which game should be the next one I play solo?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Burma
31.9% 22
World in Flames
27.5% 19
Solitaire ASL
23.2% 16
Play them all simultaneously
4.3% 3
Play something else, which is posted below
7.2% 5
Leave the table empty for a while
5.8% 4
Voters 69
This poll is now closed.   69 answers
Poll created by Volfield
Closes: Tue Mar 1, 2011 6:00 am

Feel free to be as selfish as you want in convincing me to play the game of your choice. (If I don't own the game you want me to play, you may have to provide me a copy to get your way.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dave,

Play This Hallowed Ground with Line of Battle rules and probably You'll have an european player more with which to play ... in the future.

I'm with Kiraly for Burma and WiF!

Good luck.

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be the contrarian, you can play Burma anytime. But how many chances are you going to get to put World in Flames on the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Learn something different. Play Steel Wolves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
kiraly wrote:
Volfield wrote:
I have never yet played WiF or an OCS game...

If you learn Burma you'll open yourself up to the entire series of OCS. Learn WiF and you open yourself up to more WiF. In my totally unbiased opinion, Burma is the way to go.

I await Wendell's rebuttal... laugh

Consider yourself rebutted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
kiraly wrote:
Volfield wrote:

If you learn Burma you'll open yourself up to the entire series of OCS. Learn WiF and you open yourself up to more WiF. In my totally unbiased opinion, Burma is the way to go.

Ditto the rebuttal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play solitaire Burma. I have told you that we can play a game as soon as you consider it fit, and as soon as you start playing Burma, the sooner we will have our game.

Or we can play WiF....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
kiraly wrote:
Volfield wrote:

Way too much butting going on for my liking yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DocStryder wrote:
Way too much butting going on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
MOM !?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
kiraly wrote:
Volfield wrote:

I await Wendell's rebuttal... :laugh:

Consider yourself rebutted! :p

Ditto the rebuttal.

Ditto the ditto... etc. etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also interested in teaching myself OCS, so if you do go the Burma route, please let me/us know how you went.

I'm a bit reluctant putting another system in my brain, as I'm afraid one or two may fall out the other end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be in a bit of trouble over this. You see, I started reading the OCS rules the other day to familiarize myself with them in case Burma wins out. By the time I finished the movement section, I knew I was going to like the system enough I'd want more titles. You can see where this is going, right?

So yesterday I pre-ordered the Guderian's Blitzkrieg II reprint, and initiated purchases of Case Blue and DAK2 from a couple gentlemen selling copies here on the Geek.

And some folks in another thread convinced me I also need to try TCS at some point, so MMP is packing up a copy of GD '42 for shipping to my house.

But I have also decided that I will put WiF on the table either right before or right after Burma. (They're running neck and neck right now, with Solitaire ASL a bit behind.) The only question is the order.

All these other things I've found myself buying will have to wait a bit. But you OCS fanatics can cackle gleefully at having made another convert. My pocketbook thinks you're all bastards, by the way. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,

First, you've been geekbuddied.

Second, I read the rules to OCS, then I was pointed towards a Tunisia sale in Portugal and I currently own Burma, Tunisia and DAK. I purchased Case Blue ziplock but it never arrived, and I have preordered GB II.

Third, I played for a whole month, solitaire the Barbarrossa scenario in WiF, on my (at the time) only table!

Thankfully, TCS seems very solitaire unfriendly but Black Wednesday on the Spanish Blue Division is soooooooo tempting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Thankfully, TCS seems very solitaire unfriendly but Black Wednesday on the Spanish Blue Division is soooooooo tempting.

Hey Antonio,

Let be tempted by BW, no disappointment in view!!

Bye

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, please, no, I have already looked at the rules for TCS, and that is how it all started with OCS.

I will end up as a Essig slave, doing anything for my dose of Essig Essence!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneSteeler wrote:
I'm also interested in teaching myself OCS, so if you do go the Burma route, please let me/us know how you went.

I'm a bit reluctant putting another system in my brain, as I'm afraid one or two may fall out the other end!

How about I post a very detailed play-by-play of the Black Cats vs. White Tigers learning scenario, complete with pictures and commentary on what the hell I was thinking when I made each bone-headed move veteran OCSers will be wincing at?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,

I did almost just that. I played that scenario and posted a pretty detail AAR after turn one, here and in CSW. I received a lot of help and people telling me where I had gone wrong (almost everywhere!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Volfield wrote:
I may be in a bit of trouble over this. You see, I started reading the OCS rules the other day to familiarize myself with them in case Burma wins out. By the time I finished the movement section, I knew I was going to like the system enough I'd want more titles. You can see where this is going, right?

So yesterday I pre-ordered the Guderian's Blitzkrieg II reprint, and initiated purchases of Case Blue and DAK2 from a couple gentlemen selling copies here on the Geek.

And some folks in another thread convinced me I also need to try TCS at some point, so MMP is packing up a copy of GD '42 for shipping to my house.

But I have also decided that I will put WiF on the table either right before or right after Burma. (They're running neck and neck right now, with Solitaire ASL a bit behind.) The only question is the order.

All these other things I've found myself buying will have to wait a bit. But you OCS fanatics can cackle gleefully at having made another convert. My pocketbook thinks you're all bastards, by the way. shake

Geekbuddied and tipped! Smoke the OCS crack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
DocStryder wrote:
Way too much butting going on...

I take it we're referring to the Battle of the Bulge here... devil

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volfield wrote:

But I have also decided that I will put WiF on the table either right before or right after Burma.

Big table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.