Subject: Curse Cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TJ Tutt
United States
Duvall
Washington
flag msg tools
So I've heard talk on this forum & others, that there will be some "curse" cards in the semi-near future for Yomi. Is there any truth to these rumors, & if so, when can we expect to see them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Yomi was supposed to be 'complete out of the box, No CCGs' etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an expansion for people who ordered directly from Sirlin Games directly for $100 and not another online store for less $. It's a kind of reward / punishment thing...very passive aggressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
msg tools
Curse cards are just character cards with innates that hurt the player, rather than help them. They're mostly a joke, plus potentially a way for players to handicap themselves I guess.

They've been designed, and probably will exist in reality. Sirlin is trying to figure out a fair way to make them an incentive to purchase directly from him, but as far as I know no decisions have been made about them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H S
United States
mountain view
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the website says "They are not part of the real game and are for joke purposes" so I wouldn't worry too much about it. They're just going to be included, as far as I can tell, as an incentive for waiting and purchasing from Sirlin Games since they're currently out of stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brooks Rudolph
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
metalchorus wrote:
It's an expansion for people who ordered directly from Sirlin Games directly for $100 and not another online store for less $. It's a kind of reward / punishment thing...very passive aggressive.

Do you feel the same way about convention promos? Do you feel that pre-order incentives for video games are passive aggressive? Why do people have such a hard on for Sirlin? This content isn't even serious content, you're not missing out on anything. How in the world is a retailer providing exclusive content passive aggressive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H S
United States
mountain view
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BRudolph wrote:
Why do people have such a hard on for Sirlin?

I'm not sure if you meant to say it like that, it seems like you're asking why people love Sirlin in the middle of asking why people give him grief about some practices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McGregor
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea "hard-on" is generally a euphemism for erection, which would imply a love fest. Whereas the attitude toward Sirlin on BGG tends to be avoidance or ambivalence.

I think the "Curse Card" Controversy is a bit silly but I also think Sirlin's stance on just about everything is silly too. I like his games, but could stand to hear him talk less.

As far as game designers I have a hard on for...Rosenberg. Definitely Rosenberg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
in this usage (a fairly common one), it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I'm glad you guys like my games, and I would think you're glad to hear more information about things from me, rather than less. Not sure what's up with the vague insults and unwelcoming attitude there. It seems most BGG users *do* like interaction with designers (including me), so that's great that we have such a forum here.

Anyway, the situation with distributors has changed for the better, and so these cursed cards will not be exclusive, as implied in this thread. I would love to explain more on both those issues, but it's best to wait until I can really officially say what the status is. I will announce it as soon as I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sirlin wrote:
I'm glad you guys like my games, and I would think you're glad to hear more information about things from me, rather than less. Not sure what's up with the vague insults and unwelcoming attitude there. It seems most BGG users *do* like interaction with designers (including me), so that's great that we have such a forum here.

Anyway, the situation with distributors has changed for the better, and so these cursed cards will not be exclusive, as implied in this thread. I would love to explain more on both those issues, but it's best to wait until I can really officially say what the status is. I will announce it as soon as I can.

Sounds good. Having it exclusive would kind of make the direct orders and non-direct orders even more split.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Miller
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sirlin wrote:

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.