Chad
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I drink your milkshake!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody have one of these? I was looking at getting a Roku, but it looks like these do a much better job of playing videos from a usb drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lim
United States
Beaumont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got one. Works great and I use it every day! I just hook an hard drive to it and plug an HDMI cable and it's good to go.

The one bad thing is I don't think there's a play list option, either that or it doesn't work very well. I keep all my TV shows on it but it won't create a randomized play list so I could watch them all back to back.

Maybe I'm dumb but I remember searching for the option on the net and finding people with the same problem.

Other than the play list it's a great device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own one too. It's fine, other than the problems with reading the audio codecs of mkv files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I drink your milkshake!
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
I own one too. It's fine, other than the problems with reading the audio codecs of mkv files.

That's not good to hear, I need to look into that more. I could re-rip of course, but part of the reason why I was looking at the WD TV Live was that I was hoping I wouldn't have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BigChzy wrote:
Asur wrote:

That's not good to hear, I need to look into that more. I could re-rip of course, but part of the reason why I was looking at the WD TV Live was that I was hoping I wouldn't have to.

Well if you find out how to do that, do share.
My present solution is having to convert the audio codecs from DTS to AC3. Which is a drag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I drink your milkshake!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you using the stock firmware or the WDLXTV mod?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BigChzy wrote:
Are you using the stock firmware or the WDLXTV mod?

Humm the one that came with it, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Western Digital TV Live is around $85, the HD version is around $118. You can pick up a Zotac Mag, a nettop computer, for $250ish.

If you set up the Zotac for duel booting you can boot into both XBMC and into an alternate OS like Windows or Linux. You'll be so much happier with XBMC than with the stock (and highly limited OS) on the WD TV Live. With XBMC the answer to wish "I'd like to change this to do something different/organize my tv shows differently/show new cover art/add in streaming video/etc." is "You can do that." where as the answer with the WD TV Live is "I hope they offer that feature in a future firmware upgrade...?"

You can read more about XBMC here: http://xbmc.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a box that can play everything, you have to look at the boxee box, but its price and different features make it a very different beast from a roku. Its biggest problem used to be that it didn't support netflix streaming, but apparently that has been added this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I drink your milkshake!
mbmbmbmbmb
jfitzpatrick wrote:
The Western Digital TV Live is around $85, the HD version is around $118. You can pick up a Zotac Mag, a nettop computer, for $250ish.

If you set up the Zotac for duel booting you can boot into both XBMC and into an alternate OS like Windows or Linux. You'll be so much happier with XBMC than with the stock (and highly limited OS) on the WD TV Live. With XBMC the answer to wish "I'd like to change this to do something different/organize my tv shows differently/show new cover art/add in streaming video/etc." is "You can do that." where as the answer with the WD TV Live is "I hope they offer that feature in a future firmware upgrade...?"

You can read more about XBMC here: http://xbmc.org/

Actually, I've already got an HTPC running XBMC (although it's running on a bigger system then a nettop). It works great about 75% of the time. It's the 25% that I'm tired of dealing with. I told my wife that I was going to swap it out for a dedicated blu-ray player and a roku box (or something else) to watch the movie rips, and her response was "thank god."

Of course a properly configured nettop running XBMC not trying to do anything fancy (like watching Hulu or trying to watch Blu-rays in linux) would probably have a lot less issues. But I think I might have crossed the threshhold into a place that a lot of other consumers are in.. I just want something that works out of the box. And it's likely that product doesn't exist at the price-point I'd like it to.

What's aggravating though is I seem to have several devices that all have part of the puzzle, and some of them do it better than others. My Xbox 360 plays (some, but not all) video files and does Netflix. My Tivo premier also does Netflix,Amazon VOD, and Youtube videos. Neither does Hulu plus (yet). I'm likely to buy a blu-ray player that can also do some of those things but not all of them. Come to think of it, a PS3 probably does all of these things, but considering I don't play many console games anymore it seems like a waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's fair then. I'm running XBMC on every TV in my house all linked to a central server for media sharing. I don't think I could stand to go to a closed-system after all the customizing and just-the-way-I-like-it tweaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.