Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Explored Tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Henry
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
I feel like I am missing something obvious on the issue of exploring the other world. Once you complete the second section of an area in the other world you receive a explored token and on your next turn you are allowed to return and attempt to close the gate. What happens to the explored token after that and what is it's purpose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You place the explored marker after you return to Arkam at the Arkham location you return to. It is not used in the Other World at all. It is simply there to remind you that you can attempt to close or seal the gate. It is removed when that is done or when you move from the Arkham space. Some people don't bother with it but rely on memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
What Halfinger said.

Just a reminder so that you don't go through the gate again!

My group doesn't use them at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
While the token is there, no matter how long you stand in front of that gate, you won't get sucked back in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Banjo John
Denmark
flag msg tools
Actually, you don't have to wait 'til the next turn to try and close the gate. Moving back to Arkham happens in Phase 2, while you close gates in Phase 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johan rosenblad
Sweden
malmoe
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody use these markers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Slegyras wrote:

Only where either a) I'm waiting till a later turn to attempt to close or b) I fail to close - in either case I'd then put one on as a reminder. Since usually you'd hope to close/seal straight away, they don't see a lot of use - which I guess is your point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Slegyras wrote:

I do. My memory is great it's just not very long. I play a lot of solo games with multiple investigators so i need the reminder as to who came back and who is going.

If you can close the gate the same turn then you probably don't need these. But if you fail to close it, I would then place the explored marker at that point as a lot can happen before your next turn.

But it is all a matter of preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slegyras wrote:

We do, yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use them if I fail in my first attempt to close the gate.

As such, I hate the explored marker as it never comes out under positive circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hale
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
I don't. My friends and I are pretty good at remembering, "Hey, did you just come out of that gate? Yes? Did you move? No? Okay..." Simple enough for me ^_^ Though if I solo with 6 or more people I may have to alter that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Baki
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are only 3 explored markers.Probably the reason to use them is that let's say in a 6players game you cannot close at the same time more than 3 gates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bat77man wrote:
There are only 3 explored markers.Probably the reason to use them is that let's say in a 6players game you cannot close at the same time more than 3 gates.

You can attempt to close more than 3 no matter how many players. But the practicality is that you will probably never be closing more than 3 at any given time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.