Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say it is 1776. The Americans have 7 OPS cards.

In 1775, Howe tried to attack Rhode Island. Washington successfully intercepted, but Greene went to the Reinforcement box, so the Americans only have 1 general on the map.

The Brits lead off with a campaign card and disperse the Congress.

That means the Americans have a really crappy hand. They can bring in 2 Generals, each with combat units. They will probably bring them into open spaces that cut off the British PCs. Once they do that, they have 5 OPS cards. They probably won't move, or if they do, it will probably be Washington, but he will still end up with a bunch of OPS cards and nothing to do.

Now, let's say the Brits throw down something like Lord Germaine and they remove the PCs.

At this point, an event is worth more to the Americans, because at least he can use it to remove a British PC.

So he throws down a 2 OPS card and buys that event. He then discards the event and removes a British PC.

The British player then throws down a 1 OPS card, buys it back up and removes a bunch more American PCs from the board.

Heh heh heh.

OK, I assume this is illegal, but doggone, it's kind of funny.

There is nothing in the rules that says you can't buy an event that favors your opponent. As far as I can tell, I didn't see a rule saying you can't use the same event twice in a turn.

This hasn't happened to me, but I did run into a case of a dispersed Congress while I tried to figure out how to use an apparently useless OPS card, and that got me to thinking.

Time to add something to those living rules?

(Edit: Germaine, not North. North may only be played once per game...I'm always mixing those 2 up)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me add that the Americans can spend some OPS cards and drop off PCs on to open spaces (blocking British PC advancement) ... so not all hope is dead, but you can theoretically run into a "dead hand", which brought up the bizarre instance I described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Let's say it is 1776. The Americans have 7 OPS cards.

In 1775, Howe tried to attack Rhode Island. Washington successfully intercepted, but Greene went to the Reinforcement box, so the Americans only have 1 general on the map.

The Brits lead off with a campaign card and disperse the Congress.

That means the Americans have a really crappy hand. They can bring in 2 Generals, each with combat units. They will probably bring them into open spaces that cut off the British PCs. Once they do that, they have 5 OPS cards. They probably won't move, or if they do, it will probably be Washington, but he will still end up with a bunch of OPS cards and nothing to do.

Now, let's say the Brits throw down something like Lord Germaine and they remove the PCs.

At this point, an event is worth more to the Americans, because at least he can use it to remove a British PC.

So he throws down a 2 OPS card and buys that event. He then discards the event and removes a British PC.

The British player then throws down a 1 OPS card, buys it back up and removes a bunch more American PCs from the board.

Heh heh heh.

OK, I assume this is illegal, but doggone, it's kind of funny.

There is nothing in the rules that says you can't buy an event that favors your opponent. As far as I can tell, I didn't see a rule saying you can't use the same event twice in a turn.

This hasn't happened to me, but I did run into a case of a dispersed Congress while I tried to figure out how to use an apparently useless OPS card, and that got me to thinking.

Time to add something to those living rules?

(Edit: Germaine, not North. North may only be played once per game...I'm always mixing those 2 up)

I cannot see any reason why this is illegal. The rule states that you can buy a discarded event card, it does not specify that it has to be yours, although I have never seen anyone do otherwise. It would be highly unusual, but not illegal. I would allow it as the rules do not prohibit it and it is questionable whether this would be a good play for the Americans. I would allow it...

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after the Americans bought it and played it, the British could buy it right back and play Lord Germaine two times in the same turn?

Oh wait -- since the Brits played it as an event (to remove American PCs), rather than discarding it (to make a PC move to one adjacent to their own), doesn't that prohibit the American from buying it in the first place?

I think I'm becoming way to obsessed with this game. Playing 4 games simultaneously on VASSAL does that. I'm turning into Cosmo Kramer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...it does prevent the Americans from buying it, right? You can only buy an event card that is discarded, not one that is played for its event?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
So after the Americans bought it and played it, the British could buy it right back and play Lord Germaine two times in the same turn?

Oh wait -- since the Brits played it as an event (to remove American PCs), rather than discarding it (to make a PC move to one adjacent to their own), doesn't that prohibit the American from buying it in the first place?

I think I'm becoming way to obsessed with this game. Playing 4 games simultaneously on VASSAL does that. I'm turning into Cosmo Kramer

I misunderstood your example. I thought the British discarded the event not played it as an event. You can only buy back a discard. So in that case this could never occur as the Americans could not pick it up.

What could happen is the British discard one of their events, the Americans buy it for reasons unknown, the Americans discard the British event and the British buy it back. That is what I thought you were asking.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the only instance I can think of where it might work is one of those events that only takes place after the French enter.

Ex: French meter is not at 10, and the example above happens. The Brits discard their own event (Admiral sails for the Caribbean), the Americans snatch it up, because with a dispersed Congress, extra OPS cards with few generals aren't nearly as valuable. After buying it, he discards the event, flips a PC under one of his generals (adjacent to his own PC, of course).

The British player sees the American is setting up a massive PC isolation, so he buys it back up, and then a few turns later, plays it with the final card, removes an American PC and saves his own PCs.

Not nearly as bizarre (since, as you pointed out, you cannot buy up a non-discarded event, so it could not be played twice), but still could happen, and quite legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.