Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming » BrettspielWelt (BSW)

Subject: New feature? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started a game of Tichu on BSW tonight and noticed that if I had "host" on, no one could join without my approval. It gave the prompt of "Accept" or "Reject" just like it would if you were adding someone to an already running game.

We tested this out with Dog too and it was the same. Only approved players could join as long as host was enabled.

I hope this is permanent, because I've been wanting something like this forever. So many people sit down without asking, especially unregistered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They probably aren't being intentionally rude.. they are probably like me and new to the whole BSW thing and totally intimidated by the interface and just trying to work it all out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes that's probably true, but I have also had many problems with people who are definitely being intentionally rude troublemakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, I dearly hope that's true. Solves so much of the annoying social issues.

So I guess only one player can have a pending join request? Host has to be paying attention I guess.

Time to add /refuse to a hotkey. I don't think I've ever refused a master reset or a player (re)joining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just joined a Wizard game and it's doing it there, too. I like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric J.
Netherlands
Nieuwegein
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been confirmed by ARMistice this morning:
http://www.brettspielwelt.de/Forum/index.php/topic,138450.ms...

Gloppy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure it's related, but I've also been experiencing very glitchy games, though I think it's exclusively related to Settlers of Catan. I've been allowed to place both my settlements at once, even though I was the first player to place, and things like that. Only happened starting today...so far as I've noticed though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hadden
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Toot, toot!
badge
If all else fails...
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I discovered this too today. I'm very happy about that, cause you can't create a game of Dominion without an unregistered user popping in.

I'm sure that unregistered users aren't trying to be rude. They're not used to the interface, but all too often they leave before the game ends. I know most registered users are aware of the courtesies on BSW, which are quite common. I have often played with "unreg" with no problem, but there are enough of the bad ones to make me wary.

I'm not on BSW as much as I used to be, but would love to play a game or more with someone in the BGG community. My username is the same as it is on here (Makelith) if you happen to remember this and see me online send me a /tell. I would love to play Tichu with a good partner again since I have problems connecting with my brother, or his friend on BSW lately. I'm getting way off topic now... (that never happens...lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makelith wrote:
I'm sure that unregistered users aren't trying to be rude. They're not used to the interface, but all too often they leave before the game ends. I know most registered users are aware of the courtesies on BSW, which are quite common. I have often played with "unreg" with no problem, but there are enough of the bad ones to make me wary.

Ok, time to start lobbying for host permission required to leave a game! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. My excitement was premature. The new feature SUCKS! Rather than simply giving the host an Accept/Refuse option, it requires EVERYONE alreday joined to accept a new player. Ugh. I tried using it and it was total chaos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually that's not quite it. I didn't figure this out until last night when I was joining someone else's Wizard game.

It uses the EXACT same functionality that adding a player to an already running game does which is that the player joined with the highest ranking must be the one to accept.

So, you could start a game and have to accept the first person, but if that person is higher ranked than you then that person will have to accept the next player, etc. I am W18 so mostly it won't affect me, but yes I agree... it's chaos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric J.
Netherlands
Nieuwegein
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seqiro wrote:
It uses the EXACT same functionality that adding a player to an already running game does which is that the player joined with the highest ranking must be the one to accept.

It uses the same functionality, but you're explanation of it is not quite correct.

Every player has a certain amount of "experience" points. Those points determine the rank you have. To accept a proposal, at least 50% + 1 points of the total amount of points of each joined player have to accept. Look at it as Weighted voting.
But in many cases, if 3 W8 players + 1 W19 player are in a game together, the W19 player holds the majority of the votes.

So a few people are not too happy with this option, that are those with a artificially high number of experience points (the "City Admins" that replaced the old Aldermann position). In practice, they have to accept every porposition, including joining in a hosted game.

Gloppy
(is aware that he knows too much about BSW)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification on how that works. In practice I don't think I ever would have figured that out since it's always been the highest ranked person whose vote seemed to matter.

Either way, it's quite broken as it stands especially for a game like Wizard during the slow period. Often times people start reading e-mail or browsing the web while waiting for the game to get a full 6 players. If one of those people happens to be a player who needs to vote (which was my experience last night) then no one can join unless the first player disables host--which of course then makes it so other people can muck with the options.

But, we discovered a bug; if someone requests to join the game and the player who needs to accept is sleeping on job so Player 1 disables host so they can join, once the player joins... it breaks. It added me as "seqiroseqiro" highlighted in green.

Looks like they need to work on this feature a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
seqiro wrote:
Often times people start reading e-mail or browsing the web while waiting for the game to get a full 6 players. If one of those people happens to be a player who needs to vote (which was my experience last night) then no one can join unless the first player disables host--which of course then makes it so other people can muck with the options.

/ping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Ugh. My excitement was premature. The new feature SUCKS! Rather than simply giving the host an Accept/Refuse option, it requires EVERYONE alreday joined to accept a new player. Ugh. I tried using it and it was total chaos.

That messes things up a little bit, it should be set as the 1st player only ignoring levels. I find it useful for Dominion, it stops the insta-join guys, which can get really annoying when you just want a quick 2p game.

Obviously in bigger games you might want to forgo that option until they change it so it doesn't cause as much chaos.

I still like the option, if it causes that much chaos then ignore the option.

Thanks to the BGGers that played Tichu with me the other day. (not sure what their nicks are on here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makelith wrote:
That messes things up a little bit, it should be set as the 1st player only ignoring levels.

Exactly. Hopefully enough people will complain that they change it to that. I suspect what they have now was the simplest solution, since it apparently matches the logic for join in progress.

Makelith wrote:
I still like the option, if it causes that much chaos then ignore the option.

Yes. That's what I did. I'm (just barely) smart enough to not use things that annoy me. But that doesn't stop me from complaining about it at the same time. I want a feature to be useful to me, to just be ignorable.

Another choice would be for me to go play other games besides Tichu, to raise my rank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Every player has a certain amount of "experience" points. Those points determine the rank you have. To accept a proposal, at least 50% + 1 points of the total amount of points of each joined player have to accept. Look at it as Weighted voting.

Really? Some BSW programmer had too much time on his hands. Just getting 50% of the players would have been enough. I don't see the worth of pulling that info from the database for all the players in the game just to let someone in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pbwedz wrote:
Really? Some BSW programmer had too much time on his hands. Just getting 50% of the players would have been enough.

But the code for yes/no questions based on experience points is already existing for masterreset, remove, and other things. Using that code surely is less expansive than programming a different one.

And in fact, there is no need to use 50% of the players, or points or whatever. Currently, it's based on the host option. This option only allows the player on position 1 to change game options, or start the game. So naturally, player 1 (and only he) should be able to accept or decline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
But the code for yes/no questions based on experience points is already existing for masterreset, remove, and other things.

Well, the point was that code shouldn't have been written in the first place. Never make a trip to the database you don't need to make.

Someone just thought it would be cool to base it on experience point. Really that code doesn't add anything to using the program except overhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Using that code surely is less expansive than programming a different one.

I'll disagree with you on this as well. Calling an existing proc vs just counting how many people at the table. How many lines of code would that likely be?

Assuming the base code is well written, it's hard to think that would take longer than 5 mins. I would take that in a second vs calling the database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pbwedz wrote:
I would take that in a second vs calling the database.

I doubt there is separate database call. There is a set of user data associated with each player object, including name, rank (experience), language, OS, email, etc. I see no reason to assume that the server doesn't maintain this data about a user when they're logged on. You can already see all that when you click a player in the ganme list, which I do quite often. Much more often than accepting someone to join a game. (I accept a subset of the people who ask.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pbwedz wrote:
Well, the point was that code shouldn't have been written in the first place. Never make a trip to the database you don't need to make.

Maybe you don't like the BSW metagame. I don't like it either. But obviously the designers do like it, or they wouldn't have created it. And I totally disagree with the idea that the system should be designed based on what is easiest to implement, rather than on what they think will give the best experience. The "cost" of lookups is trivial compared to the benefit if you actually achieve a better rather than worse experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I doubt there is separate database call. There is a set of user data associated with each player object, including name, rank (experience), language, OS, email, etc. I see no reason to assume that the server doesn't maintain this data about a user when they're logged on. You can already see all that when you click a player in the ganme list, which I do quite often. Much more often than accepting someone to join a game. (I accept a subset of the people who ask.)

If they are doing that, yea, that would work nicely. It would be cool to see how OO the code is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Maybe you don't like the BSW metagame. I don't like it either. But obviously the designers do like it,...

Well, I believe we have had this talk before and I'm likely the wrong person to ask that question.

I've been mayor of a BSW town for almost 5 years and I'm lucky to have a core of about 10 people in my town who all know how to work the system and could be mayor themselves who can and do help when needed. Plus I've programmed a few things to try and make running the town easier...

With all that, yea, the metagame can still be pain to keep up with from a town point of view. That said, I find that towns that play and manage the metagame have a healthier online community than those who don't, so I do think there is a place for it.

From a player point of view, it never really bothered me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.