Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Hananto
Indonesia
Tangerang
Banten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about combining the (base set + expansion pack 1) - (all questions concerning USA sports, history, geography, and obscure pop culture) and then convert all the imperial measurement into metrics.

Make that a pack of 700Qs then market it internationally, how's that?
I know I'll buy them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see that happening. Isn't Gambit 7 supposed to be the international version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
cozmic0 wrote:
Make that a pack of 700Qs then market it internationally, how's that?
I know I'll buy them

We'll start a P5,000 program. You only need 4,999 more pre-orders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hello world
Australia
brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer Wits & Wagers as it has the playing mat. Gambit 7 IMHO does not look as nice.

I too would be interested in expansions for Wits & Wagers (perhaps on a per continent basis) or broken up by subject matter?

woodnoggin wrote:
I can't see that happening. Isn't Gambit 7 supposed to be the international version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Hananto
Indonesia
Tangerang
Banten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit 7 also has many questions that's too UK-centric and some them still uses imperial metric, hence even that I wouldn't call it 'International'. :S

Ps: now we only need 4998 more people (I can volunteer to do the compilation)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cozmic0 wrote:
Gambit 7 also has many questions that's too UK-centric and some them still uses imperial metric, hence even that I wouldn't call it 'International'. :S

Ps: now we only need 4998 more people (I can volunteer to do the compilation)

Played for the first time tonight, loved the game - perfect for the big very mixed crowd. Totally agree with the call for an international set. Although ironically we were playing with a family of Americans and I'm not sure that it helped them at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglow wrote:
Played for the first time tonight, loved the game - perfect for the big very mixed crowd. Totally agree with the call for an international set. Although ironically we were playing with a family of Americans and I'm not sure that it helped them at all!

Were you playing Wits & Wagers or Gambit 7? Gambit 7 is not the American edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Wits and wagers...if we play it lots might try mixingin some question cards from Gambit 7 to spread the range of centrism. But even that's still not really what we're after.

I mean I appreciate that you don't need to know the answer for this game, but it is fun to feel like theres a chance at least one of the questions might have a context you're familiar with.

PS we did only play 3 games though, so it may just be that we were unlucky enough to hit a whole run of American based/focussed questions each time.

And that we were playing with an American family watching the kids argue about when America was colonized, while the NZ adults all had no idea was great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried to make about 50% of the questions American centric, so you must have gotten some questions that were not culturally specific! If you didn't like the mix in three games, I doubt you'll find a better mix after more plays. I think the bottom line is tat we will need to find a way to make the game more culturally relevant for each region that we bring it to. It'll take time, but we'll find a way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
We tried to make about 50% of the questions American centric, so you must have gotten some questions that were not culturally specific! If you didn't like the mix in three games, I doubt you'll find a better mix after more plays. I think the bottom line is tat we will need to find a way to make the game more culturally relevant for each region that we bring it to. It'll take time, but we'll find a way...

No worries - and we did enjoy the games, it was more just something everyone felt detracted from the overall experience. Definitely appreciate that its probably quite a challenge to have the right balance for every market, and the Australia/NZ/Pacific market is pretty small compared to some of the other areas you're developing for.

NZ is a funny place too, most of our TV and news is US based now, but a lot of our history since colonisation has more Colonial/UK roots.

Look forward to seeing your efforts as they roll out.

PS I always think its fantastic when game designers/publishers hang out on BGG forums to discuss and engage with players of their games. There are a couple of games I've got where players are still trying to argue out the finer semantics of the rules years after the release. When the designer and publisher are right there to acknowledge issues, clarify rules or discuss future directions up front I think its a great endorsement of their commitment to the community and the game.

Makes me much more likely to remember their name next time I see it on a game and go oh yeah, they were great...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglow wrote:
Makes me much more likely to remember their name next time I see it on a game ...

Most people remember a little about my name regardless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izak Marais
South Africa
Stellenbosch
Western cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, although Wits and Wagers sounds very interesting, I am hesitant at buying it since the questions will be too US centric for a South African family/party. If there where an international edition I would buy that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Commonwealth Edition called Gambit 7 that was released by Days of Wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Hananto
Indonesia
Tangerang
Banten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
There is a Commonwealth Edition called Gambit 7 that was released by Days of Wonder.

But then IMO Gambit 7 questions are too UK-centric (even worse ) and somehow I found them to be a bit too obscure/hard, generally less fun than standard Wits & Wagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's nice to hear that all of our hard work on the questions comes through in the end product, but I'm sorry that means you don't have a good set for Australia.

In due time, I hope we are able to produce questions for 20 - 30 countries with our in-house expertise, but we're no where near that point yet. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.