BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: buy dust or are there better games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
between games risiko-style, not too complex and lengthy, I read that dust is the best of its kind .. I buy it or are there better games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risiko... risk?

Well the key mechanic you have to note here is whether you want a tactical or an economic game. In Risk, you keep making guys and taking over lands - the more lands you have, the more guys you make.

I've never played Dust, but looking at its page, it says it takes 240 minutes. That's still 3 hours long. I'm betting it is due to the fact that it plays economically.

My recommendations for you depend on the number of players you play with.

If you only play with 2 people, I would go for Memoir '44. It's a fast playing game that has you playing tactically as you lose units once they die. It's really fun and relatively easy to learn and it plays very fast, my games take about 30 minutes.

If you play with 3 or 4, I'm going to point you to Chaos in the Old World. The mechanics are really cool and each god is unique. I do not even like Warhammer and I really, really had a good time with this. It only takes 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
chaos in the old world I had, I liked it, but it is not the same as risk, the fights were in the background except for Khorne.

I want a game of conquest, memoir 44 I like but I want a multiplayer all against all.

small world had and sold, not the kind that I try anyway .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I very strongly recommend Dust, especially for people who are looking for a Risk ++ style game.

It's worth looking at Risk 2210 A.D. and also Cyclades as options but Dust for me is spot on.

Here's my review of Dust:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/559595/thoughts-on-dust

Additionally here are the rules:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood that Dust was a really crappy game (don't shot the messenger) but heck if you like Risk than just play it or try the Risk 2210 AD version for an extra kick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, where's my gun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolf Van Ishem
United States
Queen Creek
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Dust and played many times and it is a great game with a whole lot more strategy than Risk. Also Conquest of the Empires by Eagle games is another great multi player world conquest type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.