Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: MSM [+] [View All]
Cincinnati Kid
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasbro releases new version of monopoly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/16/business/16monopoly.html

Kind of like putting lipstick on a pig, if you ask me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb

Well said - funny and true. (In my best Homer Simpson accent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CincinnatiKid wrote:

In our band we call it "polishing a turd".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they take even more away from the actual players, how much of a game is left?
Enter Number of Players>
Push 'Start'
Player 3 Wins!

And here's me thinking that boardgames are a way of getting people away from individual electronic devices....

Quote:
Hasbro executives also say that young players do not want to bother with reading instructions and toss rules aside.

Quote:
Hasbro is shortening and simplifying many of its popular games

So- going in completely the wrong direction....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I laughed when the article mentions a rulebook. Monopoly is basically a rule pamphlet, one piece of paper folded over and printed on both sides. If folks can't bother to read THAT, then they don't deserve the enjoyment of playing a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moller
United States
Wyoming
DE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So...when do we start organizing a protest for these products?

I mean, someone has to tell people that buying these games actually makes their children dumber.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Because remember, it isn't fun if it isn't electronic. It also isn't fun unless the game does everything for you.

Let me know when Hasbro either goes out of business or realizes it makes dumb games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Stewart
Canada
Grand Bay-Westfield
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
"For games, but really for anything you buy today, you need to be able to take it out of the box and play it"

"There is a recognition that people's attention spans maybe aren't as big as they used to be, or they don't have the time to dedicate to this activity."

"Getting rid of the instruction book encourages a lot more face-to-face interaction"

Face to face interaction without rules isn't a game, it's a conversation.
What exactly am I buying here?

*presses "Dice" button*
*waits*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
To that end, Hasbro is shortening and simplifying many of its popular games, changing the formats of Scrabble and Cranium so they can be played in five-minute spurts. Rivals like Mattel are doing the same with games like Apples to Apples.

How do you simplify Apples to Apples? Does a computer pick a card for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they aren't showing this crap off at Origins and GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Now all Hasbro does is repackage the same old crap. shake

Though, in all fairness to Hasbro, Avalon Hill is owned by them. They did try to branch out, and even made a couple good games: Vegas Showdown and Nexus Ops. I am assuming they stopped because sales weren't where they wanted to be.

Face it - when dealing with the mass market, the same old crap sells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethidium Bromide
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
mb
Drew1365 wrote:

I remember when I was a kid in the 70s that there were new boardgames from the major publishers coming out all the time.

Now all Hasbro does is repackage the same old crap. shake

Isn't it the "same old crap" you have played when you were a kid. Was is that bad?

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CincinnatiKid wrote:

There is just so much about this story that makes no sense to me. None at all.

First of all, why would anyone play a boardgame where you don't actually play anything. It sounds like all the "play" has been taken out of playing monopoly. So how is this going to appeal to people who may already think Monopoly is too long and boring? Wouldn't it seem even longer and more boring if all you are doing is moving your piece around when the computer tells you.

And if their goal is to appeal to kids who play videogames, how is this the answer? First of all, you can already buy monopoly the videogame for computer and every single gaming platform that has ever been made. And that is probably cheaper and takes up less space than this giant thing. If you want to sell monopoly to kids interested in videogames, why wouldn't you just keep selling monopoly the videogame?

Second, speaking as a board game fan and videogame fan...when i play a videogame or board game, I am doing something. I am solving puzzles or using hand eye coordination or following a story, or strategizing, etc. I am doing something, anything. Taking all the play out of games isn't the way to appeal to the videogame crowd. If anything, it will have the exact opposite effect because the game is pretty much playing itself. That is like buying a videogame and 90% of it involves watching movies.

This is just a miss on so many levels I don't know what they are thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deliz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mools wrote:
That is like buying a videogame and 90% of it involves watching movies.

Shh! Don't let Square-Enix fans hear you!

In all seriousness, I agree. There's no point to buying a game where you do nothing. Who's going to buy this thing? People who want to do nothing while they talk to other people about how you're doing nothing while they do nothing with you? I honestly don't understand how this will appeal to anyone, board gamer, video gamer, kid, or parent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose Rings
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CincinnatiKid wrote:

The problem with this for me is that it takes out any educational value a stinker like Monopoly has. If you are playing this with your kids, you teach them valuable lessons. With Monopoly, you have to learn to make change, learn about probabilities, learn how to read people to make the best trades, learn that it's not ok to cheat plus a ton of other things no one really ever thinks about. Automating a game like Monopoly makes it utterly useless from my point of view...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The adherence to rules also speeds up the game and makes it more interesting"

If people actually now have to play with the real rules, maybe the game will be better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
When good (or good enough) designs do emerge, Hasbro requires that the game be themed to the latest hit movie or TV show, which gives the game a short shelf-life.

It's not just Hasbro - anyone remember the Dallas (the prime-time soap opera) themed version of Cartel?

The mass-market game manufacturers have always geared sales towards children - although I can't figure out how yet another electronic version of Monopoly will help pull the pre-teens away from FPS (first-person shooter) video games. That's been true for 50 years or more; the TV and print ads of that era always showed kids playing the board games. Although we are now seeing 'hobby board games' such as Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne in mass-market retail stores, the average American (IMHO) largely ignores board games except as Christmas or birthday presents for their kids (only to be shelved a week later).

The move towards quicker versions of traditional board games (as well as some newer titles mentioned in the article, such as Apples to Apples and Cranium) is their attempt to get adults to find some time to play games. Between working from home (when your company issues you a Blackberry, that means you're essentially 'available to work' 24/7), the evening/weekend activities parents drag their kids into nowadays (martial arts, sports and the like), and all the entertainment options on cable/satellite TV, there's little time left for board games. Thus the 'Express' line and games that can be played in 'five-minute snippets' (which I assume means games for iOS/Android/et al).

As for the comment about Apples to Apples... I can't figure how Mattel can revamp that game to make it simpler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not just Monopoly. They are also doing this with Battleship which is even more silly when you consider that electronic battleship that keeps track of everything has been around for many years. The only difference now is you don't have to type the numbers in, it is huge, and the price tag is much higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect many request to Hasbro why the good old free parking rule hasn't been included... or has it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Felger
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank goodness "Hasbro executives said that the company would continue to sell classic Monopoly once the new edition came out.".

I was afraid of battling crowds to stock up on Classic Monopoly if it were to be discontinued!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Shouldn't the tower look like this sauron ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Mary Flanagan, a game designer and distinguished professor of digital humanities at Dartmouth, said that games tended to reflect the societies that they were played in. For instance, the original Monopoly, issued in 1935 by Parker Brothers, now a subsidiary of Hasbro, reflected “American ingenuity, the sense of needing to have hope, and reinforcing capitalism in the face of real economic despair,” she said.

This version, she said, seemed to be “less and less about financial awareness” — children do not need math skills in it— and more about social interaction.

Because in the midst of the worst economy in 70 years, with spiraling consumer debt and facing the failures of capitalism, what kids really need is less math skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maxx_Pointy wrote:
Quote:
Mary Flanagan, a game designer and distinguished professor of digital humanities at Dartmouth, said that games tended to reflect the societies that they were played in. For instance, the original Monopoly, issued in 1935 by Parker Brothers, now a subsidiary of Hasbro, reflected “American ingenuity, the sense of needing to have hope, and reinforcing capitalism in the face of real economic despair,” she said.

This version, she said, seemed to be “less and less about financial awareness” — children do not need math skills in it— and more about social interaction.

Because in the midst of the worst economy in 70 years, with spiraling consumer debt and facing the failures of capitalism, what kids really need is less math skills.

QFT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Russell
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting piece of the article states that "traditional board game sales was down 9% in 2010".

What was happening sales-wise for our type of board games? Anybody know?

That is surely one of the dumbest ideas I've seen. Talk about getting bought and going onto a closet shelf to gather dust. How could this POS be in the least bit interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I do remember some years ago that Hasbro had conducted a study that found that something around 80% (going from memory here, but it was a very high percentage) of people who bought a copy of Monopoly never played it even once.

They are gift for kids who don't want to play it and impulse buys by a mommy or daddy who thought it was a good idea to have a family game night, but never actually doing it.

The same study found that people had a higher chance of "impulse buying" the monopoly game if it had a theme they could relate to. Hence the "modern" editions, "country-specific" edition, Star Wars edition and so forth.

Understanding this, i can understand why Hasbro isn't too interested in modifying their games. It won't matter as most people won't even open the box they are selling. It's useless development and prototyping money spend for little gains.

And since Monopoly brings in more $$$ than their other more innovative and fun games... well can you blame them for rehashing, yet again, Monopoly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.