badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R.A.W.W.R.

Robots
At
War
With
Robots

(The title is open to change if someone has a better suggestion)

Two competing space mining companies are battling over asteroids that contain precious metals. These companies use robots to extract these metals, but since the resources are limited and competition is high, the companies have resorted to attacking each other in this cut-throat business. Are you ready to go to war for your ore?

Components
2 decks consisting of 21 cards each.
1 deck consisting of 12 asteroids
Counters or dice to keep track of hits

Card Layout

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18769289/RAWWR%20Cards.pdf

a. Picture (Top Half of card)
b. Card Title (Below Picture)
c. Attack (First number/orange burst)
d. Shields (Second number/blue shield)
e. Hits (Third number/red heart)
f. Robot Text (Large textbox to the right of the numbers)
g. Action Text (Small textbox on the bottom of the card)

The game is played in multiple rounds and each round you're fighting over a different asteroid.

At the start of each round:

1. Reveal an asteroid
2. Both players draw 7 cards and look at them
3. Both players choose 5 robots to use for their asteroid team and 2 cards to use as actions.
4. Both players place their robots and actions face down in a formation as follows:

[][] - Player 1 Reserve Line Robots
[][][] - Player 1 Front Line Robots

[ ] - Asteroid

[][][] - Player 2 Front Line Robots
[][] - Player 2 Reserve Line Robots

5. Both players reveal the three cards in their front row simultaniously.

The player with the lowest total attack power of robots in the Front Line will play first. In the case of a tie the tiebreaker will be the player with the lowest armor, followed by the player with the lowest total hit points. If both players are still tied, roll a die to see who goes first.

Play will go back and forth between both players.

Turn Phases:

1. Recharge
2. Battle
3. Cleanup

Recharge Phase
During this phase, all robots who are not in their normal orientation are turned 90 degrees counter-clockwise.

Battle Phase
During this phase, you may perform ONE of the following actions:

Use an Ability
Some robots have a number in parenthesis followed by a colon. This denotes an ability on the robot that may be used. Turn the robot a number of clicks (90 degree clockwise turns) equal to the number in the parenthesis to perform the action.

Make an Attack
Any robot in your front row may attack any robot in your opponent's front row. To attack another robot, turn the robot 180 degrees clockwise. Compare the attack value of your robot against the shield value of your target. If your attack value is higher, reduce the number of hits on the target by the difference of the two. A robot is destroyed and removed from the battlefield when his hits are reduced to zero.

Retreat
You may retreat a robot in the Front Line into the reserve row, as long as there is a ready robot to be able to take his place in the Front Line. The robot that was moved to the front line may immediately use an ability or make an attack. You may not use an ability or make an attack with a different robot this turn.

Reveal
You may reveal a robot in the reserve row without moving them into the front line. The revealed robot may immediately use an ability, or make an attack (if legal from the reserve row). You may not use an ability or make an attack with a different robot this turn.

Cleanup Phase
During this phase all players remove all robots from the field that have taken a number of hits equal to the value on their card.

Action Cards
Any robots not used as robot units will be used as action cards for the round. Actions do not restrict you from doing anything during the battle phase unless otherwise stated. Actions may be used at any time on your turn or your opponent's turn as appropriate, or as stated on the card. After using an action, place the card in your discard pile.

Formation
Robots initially start in a split formation as follows:

[1] [2] - Reserve Line
[X] [Y] [Z] - Front Line

When moving units between the Reserve Line and the Front Line, you must keep proper formation. If one of the robots in the Front Line is removed from play, a robot in the Reserve Line must take his place if able. Robots in the reserve row are only able to move into the two unit spaces they are adjacent to. For example, if Robot X is destroyed in the formation above, only Robot 1 can, and must, take his place. If Robot 1 is then destroyed, Robot 2 is not required, or able, to take the empty space. This restriction on movement is also applicable when retreating. Robot X may only retreat into the space of Robot 1. Robot Z may only retreat into the space of Robot 2. Robot Y may retreat into either space of Robot 1 or Robot 2.

Running out of cards
When your deck runs out of cards (This should happen every 3 rounds) shuffle your discard pile and use it as your deck.

Winning the Game
Both players will decide at the start of the game the goal of how many asteroids they need to win. For a short game, the first player to win 3 asteroids wins the game. If you want a longer game, play until someone wins 6!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gotten a chance to read the rules too in-depth yet, but at this point I'd say it looks like a fun game! I'll give some more detailed feedback later, but at this point it looks like it would have a good depth of strategy and be fairly simple to learn,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be able to add some more context to the game for discussion in case I can't get the cards formatted and posted tonight.

ROBOTS

Format
Name (Copies in each deck)
Attack/Armor/Hits
Unit Text
Action Text

Kaboom (1)
2/2/2
UT - When this robot attacks, or is attacked by a robot in the front line, destroy both robots.
AT - On your turn, destroy a face up robot in the reserve row.

Overload (1)
6/2/7
UT - Give all of your other robots +1 attack while this robot is in play.
AT - Double the attack of one of your robots this turn.

Bullseye (1)
9/2/2
UT - This robot can attack from the reserve row.
AT - Play after you destroy an opposing robot in an attack. Immediately make another attack with a different robot.

Boomer (1)
5/2/7
UT - This robot ignores armor when attacking.
AT - On your turn, destroy a face up robot with an attachment.

Fireguy (1)
4/2/7
UT - 3: Deal 3 damage to two adjacent opposing robots, ignoring armor.
AT - On your turn, do 1 damage to all opposing revealed robots.

Zapper (1)
6/1/7
UT - If this robot is attacked, this robot deals 2 damage to the robot that attacked it, ignoring armor. AT - Deal 3 damage to a robot after it attacks.

Driller (1)
4/3/6
UT - This robot has +3 attack when attacking a spent robot.
AT - On your turn, move an opposing robot from the reserve row to the front row.

Medi-bot (2)
4/2/5
UT - (2): Remove all damage from target robot.
AT - attach this card to one of your robots. This robot has +3 health.

Miss-L (2)
4/2/5
UT - (2): Deal 4 damage to target opposing robot, ignoring armor.
AT - attach this card to one of your robots. This robot has +2 attack.

N1-NJ4 (2)
5/2/5
UT - This robot can attack face up robots in the reserve row.
AT - Attach this card to a face up robot. This robot may not use any abilities.

Bruiser (2)
7/0/4
UT - This robot has +4 armor when ready.
AT - Target robot has +3 armor this turn.

Blue (2)
5/3/6
UT - [blank]
AT - Ready one of your robots.

Smashy (2)
5/2/5
UT - When this robot attacks, spend the target he attacks by 1.
AT - Spend an opposing robot 2 clicks.

Spot
4/2/5
UT - (2): Make an attack with another robot you control with +3 attack.
AT - Look at your opponent's face-down robots and actions.

ASTEROIDS

Format
Name
Text

Alpha 3
All units stay concealed, randomly decide who goes first.

Beta 2
You may not use the reveal action at this location.

Gamma 4
You may not use the retreat action at this location.

Kappa4
All units have -2 hits.

Delta 9
All units have -1 armor.

Epsilon 3
All units are revealed during the reveal step.

Zeta 6
All units are considered to have their printed stats at this location.

Theta 5
There is no reserve line at this location, all units are placed in the front row.

Sigma 7
Abilities may not be used at this location.

Omicron 6
Only 3 units may be deployed at this location.

Omega 8
All units ready 2 clicks per recharge phase instead of 1.

Iota 2
Actions may not be used at this location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great concept, clear and logical turn order, and elegant mechanics from the looks of it. I'm looking forward to reading about how it plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lewis
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Name Suggestion:

Rock'em Sock'em Robots

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the majority of the cards done in layout last night, I should be able to post them this evening (sans-pictures), but at least anyone who wants to playtest the game could do so.

The units themselves have received a fair amount of playtesting (100+ rounds), the majority of them without any asteroid effects in play. All of this playtesting presented the fact that the game was fun tactically, but that if you were able to play the game about 5 turns ahead, as in chess, that the round was generally solved after the first few moves. I was hoping to solve this dilemma by adding in the one-shot effects and making the cards have a dual-purpose.

On an interesting note, if you can believe it, this entire game has evolved from trying to create a variant of WAR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yadsruht wrote:
I haven't gotten a chance to read the rules too in-depth yet, but at this point I'd say it looks like a fun game! I'll give some more detailed feedback later, but at this point it looks like it would have a good depth of strategy and be fairly simple to learn,

Yip let me know when its ready for testing & i'll take more of a look!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added the 6 pages of cards, sans pictures. They're in color, but print in greyscale just fine. No artwork yet, still need a few hours to work on that. Any feedback you can give on the game is appreciated.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18769289/RAWWR%20Page%201.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18769289/RAWWR%20Page%202.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18769289/RAWWR%20Page%203.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18769289/RAWWR%20Page%204.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18769289/RAWWR%20Page%205.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18769289/RAWWR%20Page%206.pdf

Also, if anyone knows how to combine the 6 PDF files into one, I would like to do that, but I couldn't find a way to make a multiple page document in Inkscape (which is what I use) or how to do it once they're already in the PDF form.

EDIT: Figured out how to do combine them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks like it'll be a lot of fun; the range of units is really good with a variety of different properites to consider, and the different environmental effects is a good touch, as does the presence of different cards you can attach to robots.It seems like deciding how to balance the cards you play would be an interesting part of the game. The card art looks really good too. Great job so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ryan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
had a breif look at the cards it looks great, will hopefully get a chance to p n p soon(by the end of the week hopefully) as for combining them can be done through adobe reader i think.
Thanks for getting the files up quick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The links in the OP are updated with some artwork for the robots, still need to do the asteroids. Nothing amazing, and I'll be tweaking the art as well as I can before the contest deadline, but it's good to differentiate the cards at the moment.

Anyone who has a chance to print and play the game, I'm interested in opinions on the balance of the units and the feel of play. I've tested it a bunch with my friend already, but outside opinions are always a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the graphic style!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did some playtesting this weekend, the unit numbers are good, I didn't find anything that was out of place there. The actions at the bottom of the cards were the real thing that was throwing a kink in things, just trying to figure out timing. So I need to figure out some timing standards, which is probably going to be something like active player having priority and the last in, first out standard that has been picked up across most card games. This allows reactions of plus health and plus armor in reaction to attacks, and spending opposing robots after they are revealed, or in response to trying to use an action or attack with them. So your turn would go something like:

1. Ready all robots 1 click
2. Declare your action/attack
2a. Your action/reaction
2b. Your opponent's action/reaction
3. If legal, your declared action/attack takes place, if not legal, go back to step 2.
4. Cleanup phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loomis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figured out how to combine the pages into 1. Edited the first post and the update with this link:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.