Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Kosareo
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does a game rank near the top 100 and have so few reviews or have sadly little visibility here on the geek. I just purchased the game on a lark at my FLGS game night and couldn't be more happy with the game. I'll need to wait until I get more plays in before I render final judgment in the form of a review but I have more than a feeling that it will be a very positive review.

Is there anyone else out there that's passionate about this game or am I crazy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its a neat and tidy game that is well liked with those I have played it with, it maybe lacks some great feat of innovation that the truly classic games have, but i think its one of the more accessible rondel games and I can see this being endlessly popular with the people I play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
We enjoyed it but the interaction was not so high, and the market was a little "cold", i.e. not so interesting, the different goods were just different rows (literally) on a spreadsheet.

I've played Navegador twice with four players and once with five players and I like the game quite a bit, but I'm still not certain how much. I actually liked the game quite a bit more with 5 players because I felt like the market became more unpredictable. Not so unpredictable that it feels like luck... just more challenging to manage and changing more throughout the game. The jockeying for colonies and factories of certain types was considerably more interesting to me. I'd prefer to play it with 5 players the next time I play to see if this holds true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You aren't crazy. I've only played three games so far, but my initial reaction is also extremely positive. No other Euro has left me this excited to play again since... Goa?

My vote for best game of 2010. There were a couple other very strong titles released or reprinted, but none better than Navegador.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
I was looking forward to the Rondel but somehow it didnt feel that exciting either.

I like Hamburgum and Navegador, but admit that these Rondel games are not "exciting." I do think they are fun and especially like the fact that these games tend to make for short turns even though strategy and planning is required. I've heard complaints about both Hamburgum and Navegador that the goods are too similar. For me, I think that is part of what makes the game neat... it is the players choices will impact the value of goods throughout the game, not something that the designer put in there.

ldsdbomber wrote:
has Packer mania died down yet over there Brad?

No way. Packer mania doesn't die down all year when they have a .500 season. So, with a Super Bowl victory, people here are still pretty giddy. They'll be talking about this non-stop until the season kicks off in September (if it does). shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my pick for 2010 Game of the Year, Nick. And I don't think it's suffered from any lack of visibility. It's only been out less than 5 months and there are limited copies available, yet there's already 7 reviews of it here. So I think it's well liked and should break into the Top 100 relatively soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
I think its high time I took a flight to Dallas, before driving up to Washington DC to watch the Redskins.... I cannot believe its nigh on 20 years since they won a superbowl, after a decade of being one of the best teams in the league

Lee, if you've been following the train wreck known as the Washington Redskins at all lately, you know that it should be quite a while before thinking about another Super Bowl is even remotely realistic. So save your airfare for the time being.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We played our first game last night, and it was well-liked by all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Kosareo
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newuser wrote:
You aren't crazy. I've only played three games so far, but my initial reaction is also extremely positive. No other Euro has left me this excited to play again since... Goa?

My vote for best game of 2010. There were a couple other very strong titles released or reprinted, but none better than Navegador.

This is the basic reaction I had after one playthrough. This has to be the best Euro I played from last year, I'm just surprised there isn't a stronger swell of support for this one like there was for Le Havre.

I did grab the only copy at my FLGS, I hope further sales and prints will propel this game to the top 25. I played Imperial a while ago and was not nearly as impressed with it as I am with Navegador. The rondel is an old mechanic but I love the implementation in this game a great deal more than in Imperial. (Which isn't to say that Imperial is bad).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
somehow the goods just didnt feel different enough to be interesting. Maybe if the rondel had some kind of ... could have made that more interesting (I was looking forward to the Rondel but somehow it didnt feel that exciting either).

Yeah, I'm OK with the rondel, but it's really just a small 'board' which you go around and choose your spaces; in that sense, it seems to me like it doesn't have enough spaces.

I've only regularly played Antike, but I've read and studied the rules for most of the rondel games... I like them enough that I'll likely go out and buy Navegador and Imperial...but somehow, it just feels like there should be more options/more going on, or maybe even (gulp) another random element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Kazinova wrote:
I'm just surprised there isn't a stronger swell of support for this one like there was for Le Havre.

Le Havre was following Agricola from the same designer. Although Mac Gerdts is well-respected, he doesn't (yet?) have the cult following that Uwe Rosenberg does. I think Navegador is a great medium-heavy Euro that establishes Mac Gerdts as one of the premiere designers of that genre, with Andreas Seyfarth and Reiner Knizia and Wolfgang Kramer and so on. However, he needs a mega-hit to become really well-known. I don't think he'll succeed with a rondel design, not because it's not a great idea, but because we're all a bit blasé about it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
The best game of Essen 2010 for me! Several different very viable strategies, interesting choices, and the game is even very fast with little downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
jens_hoppe wrote:
The best game of Essen 2010 for me! Several different very viable strategies, interesting choices, and the game is even very fast with little downtime.

Third best new game I've played since Essen and probably the best pure "Euro". It's hit the table three times. I agree that Navegador is top shelf stuff. There just seems to be so much new stuff around these days that even the quality gets a little lost in the crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Kosareo
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making it my personal mission to get this played at the next board game meetup where there are a bunch of BGG users. I'm on a crusade to make this game break the top 50!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Navegador is a very fine game - plus it has a Portuguese theme - that makes it a sure-fire hit I'm still feeling my way through the game, but after a couple of plays, it's been received fairly well in our group. I think it plays VERY quickly for a 5p game. Don't neglect the factories!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought this to my regular board game meet up last friday and played a 5 players game. All players were new to this game except me (played only twice).
Since the game lacks of player aids, teaching the rule, although very little, needs an extra job in making other players to permanently remember the requirements for some of the actions. Fortunately, my group understood the rule pretty well, probably because they're experienced players.

Reception of the game by the group was great, and I really enjoyed the game either with 2 or 5 players. We took about 2-2.5 hours to finish the game that night.

Frankly, I've never enjoy any game from my collection as much as Navegador. This is my newly found gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.