John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a chance to play with the new Exodus Expansion this past weekend. Here is what went down:

We went over the rules and decided that we would attempt to play Options 1 and 2 this first go around. Also decided to take the Pegasus Expansion out to "simplify" things and also to give us a better chance to experience the new expansion more.

Five Player Game. First player chose Cally, Second player chose Gaeta, Third player chose Zarek, Fourth chose Apollo, and the last player chose Helo.

The first couple of rounds were pretty standard, fighting off the initial attack. Cally goes into the Galactica main batteries and to fire at the basestar/raiders and misses badly. Galatica starts taking on damage, but an early skill check obviously reveals that there is a cylon among us even with destiny against us. Judging by the kinds of skill cards everyone receives, it is definitely Gaeta. Who originally does not deny it.... We all let it go, hoping that it was an 'honest' mistake and maybe part of his new personal objective.

It takes a while for us to jump away, but Galactica takes some more damage, but manages to disable the base star from launching any raiders. Score one for the humans. With option 1 we figured it would be best to disable the basestar and leave it on the board so it is crippled and can't hurt us as badly as a brand spanking new base star since all the fleet remains on the board even if we jump.

We only move a distance of 1... not so good when Gaeta is the admiral. We still go along with it and Cally is eager to use her "once per game" ability in discharging a firearm. A couple other skill checks go by and suddenly Gaeta is sent to the sickbay = protected from Cally. Gaeta then goes from sickbay to the brig- the admiral title falling to Helo who finally graces us with his presence from Cylon occupied Caprica. Gaeta then tries to get out of the brig and passes! only to meet Cally in the research lab where a gun is discharged and Gaeta finds himself on the resurrection ship.

Humans breathe a sigh of relief, but spend a copious amount of time during the next few turns fighting off raiders and heavy raiders that have jumped in persuit of Galactica. At some point Galactica has four damages on it and gets boarded by a raiding party - all at the control of Gaeta the newly resurrected. Gaeta also liked moving us backward on the jump track as well.

Another skill check is badly failed so it is suspected another cylon is among the fleet. It is down to Apollo and Zarek. Zarek gets a skill check where it is successful and can look at someone's loyalty card - calls out Apollo as a cylon of which Apollo flatly denies. Cally and Helo don't know who to trust so Apollo goes to the brig. Cally is too busy repairing the ship and fighting off the raiding party while Helo has to jump out into a viper to take the newly brigged's duty in space.

We finally get Apollo out, (Zarek not helping at all) but it was too late. Zarek reveals, and from there it spirals downward from the humans. The moral is at a 1 and we still haven't even made it past a distance 2.... While the whole Apollo Zarek act was going down, Gaeta was massing a huge fleet on the pursuit board and they finally jump in.

The 2 cylons work together in pummeling Galactica. It's looking pretty bad for the humans and finally Gaeta and Zarek get to damage Galatica by looking at 2 tokens and choosing one of them... there were 2 rooms and 1 morale left tokens left and the cylons (by deduction) reduced the morale to 0.

Took us a little over 7hrs to finish playing (plus added time for pizza/bathroom breaks/etc). Maybe it was brushing the rust off the rules and all the look-ups in the rule books, but hopefully our next game will be a little more streamlined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fliptrackr wrote:
Took us a little over 7hrs to finish playing (plus added time for pizza/bathroom breaks/etc).

surprise

The mind boggles. We play slow, but...yikes. I'm scared to even suggest this game+expansion....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
fliptrackr wrote:
Took us a little over 7hrs to finish playing (plus added time for pizza/bathroom breaks/etc).

surprise

The mind boggles. We play slow, but...yikes. I'm scared to even suggest this game+expansion....

Yeah, when I got to the end of the post, that bit erased everything else in my mind too. 7 HOURS?!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
waddball wrote:
fliptrackr wrote:

surprise

Yeah, when I got to the end of the post, that bit erased everything else in my mind too. 7 HOURS?!?!

That is entirely too long. We played a 7 player game with cylon leader and exodus, and it still only took us like 3, and that was with one newbie (to BSG entirely, game and show), and 3 people who had never played the expansion, but had played the base game. It was a slow game, but not 7 hours slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of it had to do with questions coming up during play and then having to look them up. We were also drinking... so that may have added a lagg factor. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Amberger
Germany
flag msg tools
Why didn´t Gaeta simply use his OPG to come out of the brig?
Or was Command damaged?

But 7 hours and only distance 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't even imagine how you could play BSG for 7 hours. I like the game but i don;t think i could play for 7 hours. We play regularly with a full group and a revealed Cylon to start and with the new expansion the pursuit track just keeps piling ships onto us endlessly. Are you sure you were doing pursuit correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonel Tigh wrote:
Why didn´t Gaeta simply use his OPG to come out of the brig?
Or was Command damaged?

But 7 hours and only distance 2?

Actually I think we forgot to use Gaeta's OPG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, but if you take 7 hours to play this game your doing it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithkrall wrote:

Either that, or you're having a fun time chatting and laughing and drinking and taking breaks... it's not really designed to make a straight play last nearly that long, but if you're having a good time who cares? I've yet to get Exodus but I've never had a game last longer than 4 1/2 hours after the first game when we were still learning how to play, which went about 5 1/2. But if you play for 7 hours and everyone has a good time and wants to play again, you're doing it right. After all, the whole point of a game is to have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackfaer wrote:
Ithkrall wrote:

Either that, or you're having a fun time chatting and laughing and drinking and taking breaks... it's not really designed to make a straight play last nearly that long, but if you're having a good time who cares? I've yet to get Exodus but I've never had a game last longer than 4 1/2 hours after the first game when we were still learning how to play, which went about 5 1/2. But if you play for 7 hours and everyone has a good time and wants to play again, you're doing it right. After all, the whole point of a game is to have fun.
We once had a 6p base game BSG take 5 hours. There were quite a few newbies to the game, so stuff was explained there. The primary reason it took that long (IIRC), was we all seen the show before, and were reading the flavor text on all of the crisis cards. We also discussed alot of them too... e.g. who the hell is that guy? What epis. was that from? Etc. I found that game to be a blast.

However, I too get weary when BSG goes too long. For me, it happens once we hit the 4 hour mark. For those moments, it tends to be when the cylons or humans are getting their asses whooped, and I end up being on the wrong team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackfaer wrote:
Ithkrall wrote:

Agreed. We all had a good time. Quality over quantity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Bivins

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was Zarek, the infiltrating subtle cylon.

I think the humans actually made it to distance 3...2 distance from jumps and one from a successful skill check.

We played for 7 hours, but we often read the flavor text on a skill check, and were checking out all the new cards in detail, reading up on the rules. We also often dicker and debate even simple skill checks, and especially big moves like brigging someone, for 10-15 minutes easily. For us it's a fun part of the game, but for some others I can see how this would be excessive. I'm probably a big part of the cause, since I talk a lot.

Gaeta didn't use his once per game ability to get out of the brig because he didn't really WANT out, but was using the skill check to waste more cards. He knew as soon as he got out that Cally would kill him on the very next turn, denying him of his skill cards, super crises, etc.

I believe we were doing the pursuit track correctly....we took plenty of time to get those cylon fleet board rules down pat.

Oh, one thing that we did get wrong, we played most of the game without allowing skill check skill cards to use the text unless the crisis had the skill check symbol. At the end of the game we realized that these new cards would have a big impact of skill checks when used correctly, for both the humans and the cylons....

Overall was a really fun game, but long and seemingly not very balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why was gaeta admiral at the start, and not helo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike lastname
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
quit and nuts wrote:
Why was gaeta admiral at the start, and not helo?

I was the Gaeta player. The other guys have forgotten (7 hours probably does that), but I stole Helo's admiralty from sickbay with the once per game ability. Cali couldn't chose to move there, and I felt I could deal a lot of damage by throwing away nukes and choosing jump distances. Also, once I moved anywhere Cali was absolutely, positively going to shoot me, so I felt there was no point in saving it for the brig.

(I probably misread the card and stayed in sickbay, instead of moving to command. The other players did quickly brig me, at least.)

I wouldn't have been such an obvious cylon, but the first and third skill check resulted in a total -4 morale, so immediately stirring up strife made sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brainface wrote:

(I probably misread the card and stayed in sickbay, instead of moving to command. The other players did quickly brig me, at least.)

In Sickbay, Felix' OPG doesn't move you out of there, soyou were fine as you can still get the admiralty without getting transferred out of there. I think it only does that if you're in the Brig/Detention

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.