Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Wright
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I (in the past 2 months) got into CCG or TCG'S (Chaotic and WoW) I have amassed quite a few cards that I currently store in cardboard card boxes. I was thinking about switching to binders to make finding the cards easier.

These are my pro's and con's to both

Card boxes

Pro's
1)Cheap
2)Takes up little space for the volume

Con's
1)Makes finding cards a chore (using "Place Holders or Dividers" helps a bit)
2)Have to handle the cards to look through them

Binders
Pro's
1)Organization is easier
2)I can view and pick cards without handling all of them
3)Just looks cleaner

Con's
1)Expensive (compared to boxes)
2)Initially time consuming to organize

Oh yeah, how many cards can you easily fit in each pouch on a 9 card sheet
some games allow up to multiples of 4 of the same card, I was thinking of organizing the max allowed in the game in binders the storing extra's in boxes

What are you thoughts?

Stuart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it would depend on whether you're more of a collector, or a player, and how many cards you own. If you own many cards and you're a collector, I would binder up the rare cards, and box the rest. If you're just a player I would just box them all. I would recommend sleeves for the cards as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Box them, they are only cards after all. I tend (with the few card games I own) to box then in pre-selected decks, that way I don't have to faff about, on game night
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james lima
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That'd depend on how much you're constantly searching through your cards, and how many of them.

I don't really know a lot about those games and set legality and such, but if they have a "Standard" format like magic, where you have a relatively small subset of cards that are legal, then it might be worth putting them in books.

If you're constantly changing up your decks and breaking them down and building new ones all the time, having the cards in books can be a huge time saver, specially if you like to browse to your cards for ideas and you don't have a specific decklist in mind before you start building.

You can easily fit 4 cards in a pocket. It will stretch the pocket a little bit though, and if there are 2 or 1 cards left in there they can slide out, so you'll have to be careful.

If you're not building and rebuilding and browsing all the time, or if you can't fit the cards in about 4 or 5 books or so, then it's probably not worth it. Also, if you're going to get books, you can fit around 12 pages per inch. So a 3" binder can hold a little over 300 different cards. I wouldn't really get bigger books than that, and always get D-ring binders not O-ring ones, they tend to dent the cards that are near the spine if you pack the book too tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Wright
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makelith wrote:
For me it would depend on whether you're more of a collector, or a player, and how many cards you own. If you own many cards and you're a collector, I would binder up the rare cards, and box the rest. If you're just a player I would just box them all. I would recommend sleeves for the cards as well.

Just a player, however some of the cards do have a nice value right now ($25), I wouldn't sell them but if I had more than I could legally play with I would sell them. Currently my cards are boxed and the higher value cards are sleeved (they do get played with), when I build a deck, all of the cards in that deck get sleeved.

Thanks for the input

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are boxed, wearing cheap, clear sleeves.
I'm keeping up to 7 of the same card (though it's mostly Cs and Us of which I have that many) and I can't fit that many in a pouch on a 9-card-sheet. Plus I don't like handling 3 or 4 cards every time I want to take on of them out of the pouch.

I have no problems finding cards (unless I misplaced them devil) as they are sorted by type and then alphabetically. I don't have to look at them when deckbuilding as there's a PC program with images for all of them. I only have to get them out to actually put them in the deck.
Sorting by type rather than by expansion is another reason why binders would be a pain for me - I would have to reorganise with every new expansion.

Binders are much more aesthetically pleasing, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Wright
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Box them, they are only cards after all. I tend (with the few card games I own) to box then in pre-selected decks, that way I don't have to faff about, on game night

I understand the thought behind the comment... but money is only paper.
There is a value associated with some of the cards, I don't plan on selling
anything at this time as my collection (if you will) is not too crazy but if I accumulated valued cards in excess of what can be used in the game I might sell them or used them as trading fodder for cards I would like. It would be in my best interest to keep those cards in the best shape I can.

I have started making preconstructed decks, mostly due to the fact that it takes me so long to put a deck together.

Thanks for your comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james lima
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:

Sorting by type rather than by expansion is another reason why binders would be a pain for me - I would have to reorganise with every new expansion.

Binders are much more aesthetically pleasing, though.

This.

That's another point I forgot, it really depends on how you like to sort the cards. If you tend to ignore expansions and just sort them all together, booking them can be a huge pain when a new set comes out. - and what's worse, a new card that you don't have 4 of might end up in a spot that was occupied by a card that you did have 4 of and be wanting to slide out all the time. If you have them sorted by set first then you don't have these problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Wright
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
I don't have to look at them when deckbuilding as there's a PC program with images for all of them. I only have to get them out to actually put them in the deck.

Can you point me to this program?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I should have said "for the CCG I play", Star Trek Customizable Card Game (Second Edition). I have no idea if there's something comparable for Chaotic and WoW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumper7458 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I understand the thought behind the comment... but money is only paper.
There is a value associated with some of the cards, I don't plan on selling
anything at this time as my collection (if you will) is not too crazy but if I accumulated valued cards in excess of what can be used in the game I might sell them or used them as trading fodder for cards I would like. It would be in my best interest to keep those cards in the best shape I can.

I have started making preconstructed decks, mostly due to the fact that it takes me so long to put a deck together.

Thanks for your comment

Essentaily I am not a collector I am a gamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Wright
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nwoninja wrote:
That'd depend on how much you're constantly searching through your cards, and how many of them.

Quite often, I don't get to play often but I like coming up with decks and reading the cards

nwoninja wrote:
I don't really know a lot about those games and set legality and such, but if they have a "Standard" format like magic, where you have a relatively small subset of cards that are legal, then it might be worth putting them in books.

The restrictions are similar to MTG, Max 4 of each card for WoW TCG and 2 of each card for Chaotic

nwoninja wrote:
If you're constantly changing up your decks and breaking them down and building new ones all the time, having the cards in books can be a huge time saver, specially if you like to browse to your cards for ideas and you don't have a specific decklist in mind before you start building.

yep

nwoninja wrote:
You can easily fit 4 cards in a pocket. It will stretch the pocket a little bit though, and if there are 2 or 1 cards left in there they can slide out, so you'll have to be careful.

If you're not building and rebuilding and browsing all the time, or if you can't fit the cards in about 4 or 5 books or so, then it's probably not worth it. Also, if you're going to get books, you can fit around 12 pages per inch. So a 3" binder can hold a little over 300 different cards. I wouldn't really get bigger books than that, and always get D-ring binders not O-ring ones, they tend to dent the cards that are near the spine if you pack the book too tight.

This was extremely helpful
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.