Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Formula-1» Forums » General

Subject: Formula 1 - can anyone explain the pit stop rule? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neal Atkins
msg tools
Formula 1 is a great game but I am confused by the application of the rules when you are attempting to pit stop. Do you have to slow down and stop exactly on your pit stop, or can you enter a fast as you like as long as you exactly finish your move on your pit stop space and then simply 'spin off'?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
You have to hit your spot in the pits exactly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wondered about this myself. The rules say you must stop right on your square but not how you get there. I've usually played slowing down because it seems more realistic.

However it means that you have to plan well in advance (several turns) to slow down enough. I do however allow the player to stop using their tyre and brake wear after they have moved onto their pit. I suppose it just saves one turn. For example you drive in at say 80mph and then you drop to 0 using 3 brake wear and 2 tyre wear and then you can draw a pit card and reset your guages. Otherwise you would have to wait until the following turn to drop to 0 speed. It also seems to allow those not stopping to get a great deal ahead. If the race is short enough for some players to get away with not making a pit stop they are sure to win.

I have played a game where I allowed instantaneous stopping from any speed. It still needed some calculation to reach the right spot but was a lot quicker and easier. It may be more practical from a game point of view.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
Here's the relevant rule from my copy of the rules (Parker Brothers edition with the metal monopoly cars):

Quote:
"When approaching the pits, the driver must set his speedometer so that my moving the indicated number of spaces his car can be brought exactly to its own pit stop. If a player misjudges his speed, and overshoots his space, he must continue the new lap, as no reversing or sideways movement is allowed"


also important when figuring out how to hit your spot, especially when their are other cars in the area of pit row:

Quote:
"Pit stop spaces do not form part of the normal track, and a player may drive only into his own pit space"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
prizziap wrote:
Here's the relevant rule from my copy of the rules (Parker Brothers edition with the metal monopoly cars):

Quote:
"When approaching the pits, the driver must set his speedometer so that my moving the indicated number of spaces his car can be brought exactly to its own pit stop. If a player misjudges his speed, and overshoots his space, he must continue the new lap, as no reversing or sideways movement is allowed"


also important when figuring out how to hit your spot, especially when their are other cars in the area of pit row:

Quote:
"Pit stop spaces do not form part of the normal track, and a player may drive only into his own pit space"

Yep that's how I remember the rules. What it doesn't say is whether you can instantaneously stop once you get to your pit. A literal reading says that if my pit is six spaces away I can just set my speedo to 120 mph, cruise into the pit, and bingo I'm stopped.

The play of the rest of the game would say no, you have to slow down and stop there. The pace of the game might suggest otherwise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
Stile86 wrote:
prizziap wrote:
Here's the relevant rule from my copy of the rules (Parker Brothers edition with the metal monopoly cars):

Quote:
"When approaching the pits, the driver must set his speedometer so that my moving the indicated number of spaces his car can be brought exactly to its own pit stop. If a player misjudges his speed, and overshoots his space, he must continue the new lap, as no reversing or sideways movement is allowed"


also important when figuring out how to hit your spot, especially when their are other cars in the area of pit row:

Quote:
"Pit stop spaces do not form part of the normal track, and a player may drive only into his own pit space"

Yep that's how I remember the rules. What it doesn't say is whether you can instantaneously stop once you get to your pit. A literal reading says that if my pit is six spaces away I can just set my speedo to 120 mph, cruise into the pit, and bingo I'm stopped.

The play of the rest of the game would say no, you have to slow down and stop there. The pace of the game might suggest otherwise.


I think a literal reading would be that you can not "instant-stop" regardless of speed. If you could what would "If a player misjudges his speed and overshoots his space, he must continue the new lap, as no reversing or sideways movement is allowed" be referring to?

If a car enters it's pit stop, it would only be able to stop if:
A) it has no movement spaces left due to its speed setting

or

B) the space on the track it would exit the pit to is currently occupied by another car.

In case B, I could see a question arising- does the pitting player have to roll for loss of control (depending on the speed of the car blocking his way). If he suffered wear, no big deal, he'll get it fixed anyway, but if he spun out it could cost him an additional turn in the pit, or if you're feeling really nasty, he would not get to pit, since spun out cars are placed on the OUTSIDE of track- the opposite side that the pits are on.

In any case, you can't just stop when you feel like stopping. If you still have movement left and the road is open to move...you have to move.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
prizziap wrote:
Stile86 wrote:
prizziap wrote:
Here's the relevant rule from my copy of the rules (Parker Brothers edition with the metal monopoly cars):

Quote:
"When approaching the pits, the driver must set his speedometer so that my moving the indicated number of spaces his car can be brought exactly to its own pit stop. If a player misjudges his speed, and overshoots his space, he must continue the new lap, as no reversing or sideways movement is allowed"


also important when figuring out how to hit your spot, especially when their are other cars in the area of pit row:

Quote:
"Pit stop spaces do not form part of the normal track, and a player may drive only into his own pit space"

Yep that's how I remember the rules. What it doesn't say is whether you can instantaneously stop once you get to your pit. A literal reading says that if my pit is six spaces away I can just set my speedo to 120 mph, cruise into the pit, and bingo I'm stopped.

The play of the rest of the game would say no, you have to slow down and stop there. The pace of the game might suggest otherwise.


I think a literal reading would be that you can not "instant-stop" regardless of speed. If you could what would "If a player misjudges his speed and overshoots his space, he must continue the new lap, as no reversing or sideways movement is allowed" be referring to?

If a car enters it's pit stop, it would only be able to stop if:
A) it has no movement spaces left due to its speed setting

or

B) the space on the track it would exit the pit to is currently occupied by another car.

In case B, I could see a question arising- does the pitting player have to roll for loss of control (depending on the speed of the car blocking his way). If he suffered wear, no big deal, he'll get it fixed anyway, but if he spun out it could cost him an additional turn in the pit, or if you're feeling really nasty, he would not get to pit, since spun out cars are placed on the OUTSIDE of track- the opposite side that the pits are on.

In any case, you can't just stop when you feel like stopping. If you still have movement left and the road is open to move...you have to move.

I think you could still mess up but I agree that it is less likely. I can imagine a player planning to stop and thinking that he'll do it going 120mph only to find he must go 100mph and hasn't the brake wear to drop that much.

In my experience, and I have usually played that you do have to slow down, planning to stop in the pits usually has to start as far back as Abbey Curve. It is quite possible to think you will make it and then find that you don't have enough brake wear or tyre wear to slow down in time. I have actually had a game where I miscounted by one square and couldn't slow down enough and had to speed up and go around again. In another game case B that you sited above actually happened to me as well and I had to go round again.

The most efficient way is to look at your guages and figure out your maximum speed reduction in one turn. Let's say you have 3 brake wear and 2 tyre wear which will allow you to brake by 80mph. So this is the speed you plan to enter the pits with, the turn before going 100mph and so on. So starting at your pit count back 4 spaces (80) then 5 spaces then 6 spaces and so on until you get to your current location. Then adjust to suit being aware of effects from other cars and lane narrowing. If you have it right you will cruise into your pit doing 80mph one turn and stop dead the following turn when you reduce your guages and pick up a pit card.

So I agree that slowing down is most probably the intended meaning and is consistent with the rest of the game. It does put the player about three turns behind cars that don't stop but I guess that is realistic too and evens out in a long game.

Boy I blathered on a lot all to say that I probably agree! Oh well, I guess we wouldn't be geeks if we didn't get passionate about how to play our games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
I've always played that you can enter the pit space at any speed, but that you can only move into the pit space by exact count.

If you have six spaces remaining to move into the pit, your selected speed for that turn must be 120 mph. If you select 140 mph for the turn, you'll move one space past your pit and must run another lap.

Kevin
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.