Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Avery
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

I got a chance to play Flying Frogs’ Conquest of Earth last night. Before I let you know my thoughts on the game, you should probably be aware that I’m a man of simple tastes. Give me something to fight, thrust some dice into my hand, and spark my imagination with lots of theme and special powers and I’m happy.

Conquest of Earth makes me so very happy. It is easily the best of flying Frogs games and definitely one that I’ll be adding to my collection. Why you ask? Well besides the fact I get to melt people’s brains, the game is just plain fun to play. It doesn’t have sophisticated mechanics or artistic statements delivered through gaming. What it does have if flavor and theme in spades and much more tactical play than Flying Frog's other offerings.

Each person has a player board that has a grid of 9 spaces. Their board connects to an identical central board. There are two ways to play, co operatively or competitively but the goal is essentially the same- Conquer the humans. Each turn you have an action point allotment (in the co=op it is a D6 roll with ones giving you a power token and a reroll). Action points let you beam your saucers into the starting space in the center of your board, move your ships or play some of the more powerful alien event cards in your hand. When you move ships into empty spaces you flip a location card which states its population (VP) and its defense which is the number of battles it takes to conquer that space. Troops are drawn and there is a roll off between your power and the power of the troops. High roll wins and a 6 is a crushing victory which wins no matter what the odds are. At the end of the alien’s turns the humans move around their forces, develop technology, and sometimes have a special events that screw the players. It is not too hard to take control of areas but if a troop moves back into an unguarded space you’ll lose it unless you go kill them.

There are twelve races, each with a couple of special powers. They also have an attack rating (the strength of their ships) and a brain rating (how many alien event cards you hold.) The events are universally good and range from helpful to completely kick ass. (ooo...there is a tank, rangers, a hero and jets guarding that space? Time for a little contagion or maybe I should just drop the amorphous blob on them...) You can also acquire space junk which will permanently help you (unless you overload your brain melting ray like I did.) The humans have their own nasty tricks too like dropping atomic bomb on your largest cluster of ships. And if your ships are all sitting in clusters of two, half the board gets destroyed.

A typical turn will be rife with crazy weaponry, Alien powers going off, alien events ranging from the whole "We come in Peace" gambit to "Lets eat their dead." If you’re lucky you’ll be using the Washington Monument as your personal hangout and if you’re unlucky your ships will be molten slag in the reflecting pools.

It is random. It is light. It has a lot of theme and you’ll be hard pressed to keep those pesky humans under your big alien thumb. The game is quick enough to stand repeated plays and accessible enough that you’ll pull it out every once in a while even after it has lost its luster (much like Last Night on Earth.)The whole thing has that 50’s sci fi vibe that I love and is campy beyond belief. If you are looking for depth and thought provoking game play then this is not your game. However, if you want to have a good time and blow away some humans with disintegrator rays in your hyper speed saucers then this definitely fits the bill. Good work Jason Hill. You’ve got me wanting to pull out my old trusty Illudium Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Steve"HUmanS mUst Die!"Avery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. I've had an eye on this one and wasn't sure if I wanted to pull the trigger just yet, but your review has really made a good case for it.

I love the 50's vibe of the game that does look pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played the game about eight times. So far everyone I have played this game with has really enjoyed it. Why, perhaps because Conquest is dripping with theme, has a easy to understand streamlined design, and the game does not typically drag on too long for what it is. The games are usually over rather quickly with many of my games only lasted 45min-60min with rules explanations. Some of my friends who don't always love games in this genre raved about this game. They especially like the art,humor, and goofy powers. It is really fun to watch people want to try out every alien race.

What I really like about this game is it excels as both a cooperative and competitive game. There are enough tweaks and flexibility in the game design that players can make the cooperative game extremely brutal if they want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Branch
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review My copy is sitting on the shelf just watching me, waiting for me to pull it off the shelf and play with it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cvlw Lebron
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. We just saw it in the store and were immediately intrigued but didn't want to jump in. Your review has convinced us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StephenAvery wrote:

Good work Jason Hill. You’ve got me wanting to pull out my old trusty Illudium Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

thumbsup for this alone. =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.