Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Francis
Canada
Morse
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was blown away this morning, for the first time in months I was watching The Price is Right, and to my utter amazement the first prize to bid on in the Show Case Showdown was a trip package to Indianapolis to GenCon. All I can say is good job GenCon for getting out there like that. By the way the person bidding on the trip won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kfrancis03 wrote:
I was blown away this morning, for the first time in months I was watching The Price is Right, and to my utter amazement the first prize to bid on in the Show Case Showdown was a trip package to Indianapolis to GenCon. All I can say is good job GenCon for getting out there like that. By the way the person bidding on the trip won.

I saw that, and was similarly impressed.

I do need to correct you on one thing, though...the final round is just the Showcase. The Showcase Showdown is the name of the segment where they spin the Big Wheel (it's a showdown to see who will be competing in the Showcase...get it?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Francis
Canada
Morse
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you for the correction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's okay, absoultely everyone gets that wrong. You pretty much have to work at the show, or be as game-show obsessed as me, to know the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy who won that was probably bummed. Maui would be much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Francis
Canada
Morse
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
he did win 2 cars, so I think he is happy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't watch much TV anymore, but I think Drew Carey is the host.
Just so happens he is a wargame geek. That might be why it made it to the showcase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that's really odd. I don't think I've ever seen them give something away that was non-sports hobby related. I mean I would certainly hope I wouldn't get stuck with something like "Scrapbooking Paradise" or "Goodyear Blimp Fanclub Yearly Event" if I didn't enjoy that hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Showcase in question also included a Honda Accord (and an Alienware laptop). By my estimation, 99.9% of the people who win a showcase that includes a car aren't thinking about the other two prizes as they strut across the stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Wilburn
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished watching the show on DVR and I could not believe it when they had a trip to Gen Con on the showcase. Do you think the winner will actually go to the convention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
zboat wrote:
I don't watch much TV anymore, but I think Drew Carey is the host.
Just so happens he is a wargame geek.

If that's the case, I'm calling him out! Us wargamers need more publicity!

Strategicon's Orccon convention is being held this weekend near Los Angeles International Airport, not too far from Television City, where TPIR is recorded.

I'm going on the record to publicly invite him to bring his favorite wargame out there. I'll happily play him, and show him the whole convention, not just the wargaming (which is a small, but growing part).

Are you reading this, Mr. Carey (not you, Steve...we already know YOU'LL be out there)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randywilburn wrote:
I just finished watching the show on DVR and I could not believe it when they had a trip to Gen Con on the showcase. Do you think the winner will actually go to the convention?

IIRC, it was a CNBC thing?.... but when you try to resale the prizes you won, unfortunately, you end up getting alot less $$ otherwise, as the values of prizes and cars are often inorrectly set that with taxes and value when you try to sell it, you end up getting at least somewhat gimped.

stagger lee wrote:
Wow that's really odd. I don't think I've ever seen them give something away that was non-sports hobby related. I mean I would certainly hope I wouldn't get stuck with something like "Scrapbooking Paradise" or "Goodyear Blimp Fanclub Yearly Event" if I didn't enjoy that hobby.
If it were some wargaming convention or RPG convention, even prestigious ones at that, I would have to feign interest. Not being a good bluffer, I'd probably try to act excited, but end up with a "what the F@#$ is this?" expression on my face. GenCon OTOH, if it was all expenses paid, then that'd be my ultimate excuse to go cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Wow that's really odd. I don't think I've ever seen them give something away that was non-sports hobby related.

Two years in a row I just happened to catch episodes where they had foodie vacations. Last year the showcase included a trip to Napa to go the The French Laundry and a trip to Spain to go to El Buli. No disrespect to Gencon, but I'd much rather go to El Buli.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hello world
Australia
brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone got a link to video?

If there is one?

Sounds cool =). I wish Eddie Mcguire would do something like that.

kfrancis03 wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
IIRC, it was a CNBC thing?.... but when you try to resale the prizes you won, unfortunately, you end up getting alot less $$ otherwise, as the values of prizes and cars are often inorrectly set that with taxes and value when you try to sell it, you end up getting at least somewhat gimped.

You can't resell trips, but you can refuse them on the spot if you estimate the income tax burden to be greater than the value of a free trip (or don't think you'll be able to go). It's all part of the paperwork contestants fill out after the show.

savagecabbage wrote:

If there is one?

http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_price_is_right/?ttag=tv;price (cbs.com/price works as well, if that link doesn't)

Go to 'Newest Videos', choose the 2/16 show, fast-forward to the next-to-last segment.

(EDIT: That probably won't work outside of the United States. Someone might have posted in on YouTube though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Armadillo Al wrote:

You can't resell trips, but you can refuse them on the spot if you estimate the income tax burden to be greater than the value of a free trip (or don't think you'll be able to go). It's all part of the paperwork contestants fill out after the show.

With some trips, the value may certainly only be around the taxes due on the reported value. The reported value, being retail, is generally sort of high. However, when you have some sort of limited-availability trip--such as, say, Super Bowl tickets or, as I previously mentioned, reservations at El Buli--that retail value isn't going to be close to the "real" value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hello world
Australia
brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

No dice unfortunately
Armadillo Al wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

savagecabbage wrote:

If there is one?

http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_price_is_right/?ttag=tv;price (cbs.com/price works as well, if that link doesn't)

Go to 'Newest Videos', choose the 2/16 show, fast-forward to the next-to-last segment.

(EDIT: That probably won't work outside of the United States. Someone might have posted in on YouTube though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Armadillo Al wrote:

WOOOW... 9 comercials to plow through (including the initial one before the first segment) if you were to watch it from start to finish. Live TV never looked worse.

30:45 - new Alienware laptop + 6 games (WoW, WoW Wraith Of Lich King, Call of Duty: World at War, Age of Empires III, Battlefield 2 Collection, Spore)
31:06 - Gen Con intro starts here...
31:17 - I'm sure the contestants are instructed to act excited about everything even if they really aren't, but they looked convincing enough here
31:50 - Fantasy Flight Games stall/stand/table + VIP gamer pass + companion pass
32:00 - Again, stiull the similar expressions/reactions from 31:17
32:10 - Honda 2-door XLS.... they looked much more excited about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.