Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have like, 10 culture, 3 coins and 7 trade, I research a tech, my dial goes back to 3(because of my 3 coins).

Can I then spend culture tokens (5) and trade (3) to move my culture track that is in space II (cost 5 culture+3 trade)?

I wasn't able to spend the culture before research, because if I did so I wouldn't be able to research, but after, with the coins, can I do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do it during your next City Management phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
You can do it during your next City Management phase.

Advancing in the culture track can only be done in city management? I did not remeber of this rule...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
Advancing in the culture track can only be done in city management? I did not remeber of this rule...

Page 17, under "Spending Culture":

Rulebook wrote:
At any point during their City Management Phase, a player may choose to spend some or all of their culture tokens to advance their culture level marker up the culture track on the market board.

It doesn't really make that much difference, unless you would gain so much trade in the Trade phase that your dial would max out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Banjo John
Denmark
flag msg tools
I actually have a question to add to this: I am wondering whether you have to devote a city to the arts in a City Management phase to climb the culture track. The reason I ask is because the section and the rules describing paying to climb the culture track is located inside the part about devoting to the arts, so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Eakins
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you do not have to devote to the arts to spend culture and move up culture track during city management phase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick R
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonoso wrote:
I have like, 10 culture, 3 coins and 7 trade, I research a tech, my dial goes back to 3(because of my 3 coins).

Can I then spend culture tokens (5) and trade (3) to move my culture track that is in space II (cost 5 culture+3 trade)?

I wasn't able to spend the culture before research, because if I did so I wouldn't be able to research, but after, with the coins, can I do that?

A couple of things...

(1) As others have said, you can only spend culture during the city management phase.

(2) Coins only let you "bank" trade that was left-over after research, so after researching a level 1 tech (which costs 6 trade), you would only have 1 trade remaining. You can't use coins to bank trade that you don't have. So even though you have 3 coins, you would still only be able to retain 1 trade, which is not enough to move up the culture track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mighty Pope wrote:
(2) Coins only let you "bank" trade that was left-over after research, so after researching a level 1 tech (which costs 6 trade), you would only have 1 trade remaining. You can't use coins to bank trade that you don't have. So even though you have 3 coins, you would still only be able to retain 1 trade, which is not enough to move up the culture track.

Incorrect. In order to research a level 1 tech you must have at least 6 trade, but the actual cost is (all trade - coins). The only case where you would end up with less trade than coins would be if you had less trade than coins to start with, which would be rather unusual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick R
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Incorrect. In order to research a level 1 tech you must have at least 6 trade, but the actual cost is (all trade - coins). The only case where you would end up with less trade than coins would be if you had less trade than coins to start with, which would be rather unusual.

Yes, you're right. I just re-read that passage in the manual. The wording there is a bit awkward, so that's how we had interpreted it -- but on second glance, it seems we may have played that wrong. Thanks for clearing that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.