Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In an effort to gain a few , I wrote this variant rule. Tip if you feel it's worth it.

Dual Classing

If a hero rolls a natural 20, instead of simply spending 5XP to level up, spend 10XP to choose a second class.

On choosing your second class, gain the following:

1 Utility Power Card of the chosen class
2 At-Will Power Cards of the chosen class
1 Daily Power Card of the chosen class

Only a 1st level character may choose to Dual Class.

A hero may only have two classes.

When attacking during your hero phase, you may use any of the powers available to you.

For future level ups, you may only level up your hero's primary class (the one s/he started with) to 2nd level. However you may choose to gain the daily power awarded you for leveling from either class.

PS, I know I posted this to two forums, but I couldn't figure out how to link the original post back to here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jegan22280 wrote:
In an effort to gain a few , I wrote this variant rule. Tip if you feel it's worth it.

Givin' ya gold just because you requested it!

Now gotta read your post and make some constructive criticisms...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Criticisms:

I kind of think the Duel Classing should be made when rolling at Nat20 when you're already level 2. I.e. the next boost is to multi-class. Earning FOUR extra powers though seems extremely powerful, even at 10XP. I would probably tone it way down but also tone down the cost.

Make it something like this:
- If level 2 and roll Nat20, instead of the +1dmg you may spend 5XP to 'multi-class'
- Pick 1 At-Will and one Utility or Daily Power from the new class.

IIRC, the secondary class is always a bit weaker than the primary class. This would keep the Hero focused on his primary abilities but give him some secondary abilities and options.

But overall, I'm not sure multi-classing is needed. At least, not in the current versions of this game. It's too fast to worry about that. Multi-classing needs to happen in a campaign like setting. IMHO, the "campaign" Adventure they included in Ashardalon is rather weak and I don't think this would work well even in that setting...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shnar wrote:
Givin' ya gold just because you requested it!

Why, Thank you, Shnar. All proceeds will go to my new set of vanity micro badges.

Shnar wrote:
I kind of think the Duel Classing should be made when rolling at Nat20 when you're already level 2. I.e. the next boost is to multi-class.

I can see your point. Let's make it an "anytime" type rule. I'll go ahead and edit it to be more vague and incomplete. That way it might find it's way into TLoD.

Shnar wrote:
Earning FOUR extra powers though seems extremely powerful, even at 10XP. I would probably tone it way down but also tone down the cost.

Here we have to agree to disagree. For a couple of reasons.

1) Pulling 10 XP is hard if we don't use your house rule on villains (yes, I have been paying attention). In most games it's either not going to happen or the shared XP pool will go to better things. Imagine a group of five considering to dual class a member of their party when that extra 5 XP could go to lvl up someone else or to cancel an encounter that pops up at just the wrong time. That decision could wipe a party.

2) The at will powers are not all that diverse. Besides, who would dual as anything other than a Ranger? Also, consider that there are very few combos that can be pulled so in reality, you only end up with more options of which power to use.

Shnar wrote:
IIRC, the secondary class is always a bit weaker than the primary class. This would keep the Hero focused on his primary abilities but give him some secondary abilities and options.

I have no idea what IIRC means. I do see your point on the secondary class being weaker in most games tho. To that I say, let's ignore what's been done in other games and get creative. As that seems to be WoTC's general attitude here.

Shnar wrote:
But overall, I'm not sure multi-classing is needed. At least, not in the current versions of this game. It's too fast to worry about that. Multi-classing needs to happen in a campaign like setting. IMHO, the "campaign" Adventure they included in Ashardalon is rather weak and I don't think this would work well even in that setting...

OK. Yes to the first, yes to the second, and hell yeah to the third.

So now what? I say we need an "endless" dungeon crawl type experience. Like NetHack.

Also consider starting out a 2-5 player adventure with a solo dual class character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jegan22280 wrote:
1) Pulling 10 XP is hard if we don't use your house rule on villains (yes, I have been paying attention).

Not my house-rule anymore!

Anyways all of this is just musing. I was just giving my first impressions. The only way to truly know is to have a few groups playtest it and get their feedback. Diverse groups would be useful too, so it's not just one group's playstyle.

-shnar

P.S. IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I suppose so. I'm writing an adventure module with this rule included an that will combine the 2 released D&D board games. We'll see what sticks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to see that. One of the things I like most about these games is how "compatible" they are with each other.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.