Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asl_deluxe [+] asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you forced to split into different stacks? You could have only one stack and put the ? there. Then, following normal rules, if you split a concealed stack you put a ? on top of each new created stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
J2.17 says that you stack at start and split them later. But it does not define "later"

Also J2.1 says the only stacking that is "necessary" is to show possession. I would say that separating the stacks is optional.

J2.17 CONCEALMENT: One "?" counter may still conceal all ? units in the same location. Units may be stacked at start to accommodate concealment and then later separated, each under it's own "?" counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can split a dummy stack into multiple dummy stacks.
Just add a new ? to each new dummy stack, as if the units were real.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:

Even if your opponent knows these are dummy stacks, it can be really useful to act as sniper baits. I read it in some ASL Journal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
I think it might be helpful if you stop thinking about "dummy stacks" and instead concentrate on dummy units, because a stack can certainly contain both real and dummy units at the same time.

My opponents and I have always handled dummy units on the Deluxe boards exactly the same way as any other units.

For example, assume that during setup you place a squad in concealment terrain and the place three OB-given "?" counters on top of it. This creates a stack of 1 real unit, 2 dummy units, and a concealment counter. This single stack could then be later split into three stacks: each of which gets its own concealment counter:

Squad + "?"
"?" + "?"
"?" + "?"

If you accept this, then it's easy to see that a dummy stack of "?" + "?" + "?" + "?" could also be split into three separate stacks of "?" + "?" each.

In regular ASL, this splitting can only be done during movement, but in Deluxe ASL it can be done simply as part of reorganizing the stacking in a single hex.

Most of the time, however, we find it easier to keep concealed and/or dummy units in a single stack per hex until concealment is lost.

Eric Neff wrote:
J2.17 says that you stack at start and split them later. But it does not define "later"

I would read "later" as "once setup is complete." I think you can split and combine stacks *within* a Deluxe hex at any time that you could change the stacking order of a regular stack (i.e., whenever you want).

Steve Bowen wrote:
Now that the Wall Advantage and Hedgerow rules have been cleaned up so well I think Hedgerow Hell - ASL Deluxe Module 2 is one of the true hidden treasures of ASL. I really like the way the hedgerow mechanics work.

I agree about Hedgerow Hell: it's much better than its reputation would suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
That is how we play it around here, so split those dummy stack all you want. Definitely helps in your fog of war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Binko wrote:
marticabre wrote:

Is that really true? If so, it answers all my questions.

But I never knew you could split dummy stacks. So presumably, if you have a dummy stack of "???", it could be two units with a "?" on top.

So it's legal to split it into two stacks of "??" and move them off in different directions? And if it's legal to split dummy stacks it would logically also be legal to be able to build multiple small dummy stacks in one DASL hex if you wanted to.

That's definitely something I should know. Especially since I just started on the PTO and concealment is a huge factor in most PTO scenarios.

Yes, you can do everything you say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Haseler
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, you cannot add more ? counters at set-up than the scenario card and SSRs allow.

An SSR might (for instance) allow all units to set up concealed. The scenario card often will specify a number of ? counters, which can be dummies or can be used to conceal units.

It is not legal to add more ? during set up, such as to split your freshly-placed dummy stack of 3x ? into two new stacks of 2x ?.

That can happen once your turn begins and you are playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Little additional note : OB given "?" counters can only be placed in concealment terrain.
So, if all your units set up concealed (typically when their opponent does not begin onboard), those who are concealed in non concealment terrain cannot be dummies.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that you can change your little ? for big ?, useful to create vehicle dummies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.