Popular Tags: [View All]
David Fisher
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm designing a game that allows several actions per turn. One type of action is to move a certain number of spaces (from 3 to 7, depending on the transport).

If the player has the ability to move 7 spaces, but wants to first move 1 space, do some other action and then continue moving as the third action (say another 5 spaces), it seems like a bit of a waste to spend the entire first action on just moving 1 space.

I was thinking of maybe giving "change" -- in this case, the first action would give change of 6 movement points, as a free action to be taken later (eg. to move the other 5 spaces above). Not sure if change should be carried over to the next turn.

Are there some other solutions people have found to this problem? (Or is it not generally seen as a problem?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Players need to make decisions within the parameters that the game allows. If the decision the player makes (which may very well be the theoretical optimal move or whatever) is to use one action moving one square, that is not a problem in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered just giving them a total of 'Action Points' so they can split how they choose?
This would (possibly) allow you to split the movement down- your faster transport has a cost of 1 AP per space moved, slower transports cost 2AP per space & so on. That way, you don't have to worry about split-moves, change & the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One option would be like Tikal where you have a set amount of points and you can spend those points on various actions costing different points. Any remainder not used is lost on future turns.

Another option would be to let the players keep unused points but force the player with the most current points to take the next action. So if an action puts a player A's pool lower than player B then player A's turn is over until he's got more points than player B.

This should help keep players from hoarding points to use at the end. However it can also make your game mechanics a bit gamey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Woodard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, no need. The player is aware they can move 7 spaces for a move action. If they only take 1 space for movement, that's their decision. Unless your game stipulates that they HAVE to move 7 spaces exactly for that movement, I wouldn't put in any special rules unless it becomes a problem.

Now if they can move up to 7 spaces per turn total, I would suggest a track or token system that they keep track of how much they move per move action. That would be your "change".

Are they allowed to take more than one move action on their turn? If so, I would say either of the suggestions above would be perfectly fine. Personally, unless it becomes an issue with how the game is played, I'd let it slide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just take the Merchant of Venus or Roads & Boats or Empire Builder track and let players do whatever they like in the middle of their movement. "Move" would be one action, with whatever other actions the player wanted coming before, during, after, or even before-during-after the single movement "action".

If a player's going to move every turn anyway [seems likely in most games involving movement], just make the movement a standard turn action [as it is in all of the above] and make the remaining "action points" 1 less than what they were [effectively, the move action happens every turn for free, and at any time, and for any distance].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.