Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The title says it all. Posted to the DVG website 2/15. I'm pre-ordering tomorrow!
I don't ever seem to be able to do links correctly on BGG, but...
[geekurl=http://www.dvg.com/.sc/ms/dd/Pre-Order%20Games/43/Frontline%20-%20Guadalcanal]DVG FL:Guadalcanal Page[/geekurl]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that is news. It is obviously stand-alone I take it....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there going to be some rules changing or are they going to keep them as is? This is what I want to know. I do have some problems with the original gameplay.

Mainly the low counter-attack values especially when combined with the very lethal effects of firepower {I'm experimenting with ignoring Pin hits beyond the first instead of changing them to Morale hits and it seems to be working for now}
and the very few chances that player have for maneuvering before they start exchanging fire. {further Terrain numbering, Terrain 0, Terrain 10, 11, 12, would do the trick.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game. I just want to know if the ruleset is going to evolve now that we have player feedback from the first game.

I don't think that going the stand-alone route is a good choice for the Frontline series IMHO. This will prevent tampering the rules and improving the game with each new expansion while still allowing the use of the components of the previous games.

I'll just have to wait until the manual is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Each game in the series will be stand-alone. This allows players to pick and choose the games that are of interest. It is also what retail stores prefer because they don't need to keep a backstock of previous games on their shelves.

We will be wrapping up Field Commander Napoleon in the next month. After that, we'll turn our attention to Guadalcanal by first playing D-Day a few times to get back up to speed.

People have posted a few problems that they've found with D-Day. The first few I want to look at is...
- the idea that who goes first has a big advantage.
- The second is that having more sections gives a big advantage.
- The third is that once once side gains an advantage, the other gets locked into a recovery loop and can't make a comeback
- Players have also said they'd like more maneuvering before trading fire

I would like to keep Guadalcanal compatible with D-Day, but if we need to make changes to improve the series, we'll do so. I think Frontline can be a huge success and I want to make the game series as perfect as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Lintonsson
Sweden
Borås
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DanVerssen wrote:
People have posted a few problems that they've found with D-Day. The first few I want to look at is...
- The third is that once once side gains an advantage, the other gets locked into a recovery loop and can't make a comeback
- Players have also said they'd like more maneuvering before trading fire

Except the fact that DVG makes excellent games, the developer carefully listens to the community. For me, that is worth a whole lot. Looking forward to the new improved second game in the series!

/Mats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto!

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot! Pre-order's get name on box again, Dan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this, especially the third point, so I'm glad it's being evaluated. With that said, Frontline: D-Day is a great game regardless and I will definately get Guadalcanal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
David - Yes! That will be the standard for all our games. I'm looking into adding a permission checkbox to the order page so people won't need to send a permission email in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.