Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Javoroski
United States
Keota
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So there's an overall trend that I've been noticing, and I want to see if anyone else has found the same to be true. I buy games at both 'Thrift Stores' and 'Consignment Stores'.

I am defining these in this way:

Thrift Store: the items have been donated. Salvation Army and Goodwill, for example.

Consignment Store: the items have been turned over to the store for sale, and the owner will receive a portion of the sale price.

So without revealing yet what I have found, here's the quesion:

Poll
When I buy games at Thrift Stores and Consignment Stores, I have noticed that:
Games at consignment stores are more likely to be incomplete.
Games at thrift stores are more likely to be incomplete.
Games from both stores are just as likely to be incomplete.
I haven't really paid attention.
      23 answers
Poll created by brotherbock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live just outside the Cincinnati area. The only consignment shops I know of in all of Cincinnati are a couple women's clothing shops. None carry games. In fact, I've never once encountered a consignment shop that carried games, no matter where in the U.S. I lived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't go into consignment stores very often. I go into thrift stores a lot. Usually if a game is missing a piece, I can find someone with it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Javoroski
United States
Keota
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
I don't go into consignment stores very often. I go into thrift stores a lot. Usually if a game is missing a piece, I can find someone with it here.

Yeah, a couple of people have been a lot of help to me with game pieces. But this is more about a significant trend that I've noticed, and wanted to see if it held up.

Here in mid-Iowa we have several 'Stuff Etc' stores, for example. As far as content goes, think more upscale thrift store. Games section, electronics section, housewares, books, antiques, etc, and a lot more of the 'name brand' clothing that Goodwill advertises Or maybe I should say that they have name brand clothing like Goodwill does, but this stuff is from the current decade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
(other than consignment on Ebay), I've never seen anything consignment that I've been remotely interested in, either because of the price point, or because the game isn't of interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yuppi cide
msg tools
mb
I voted for Cosignment store because EVERY ONE I've ever been to is usually CLOTHES. So, they're not only incomplete, but non existent! LOL!

So far I've gotten 2 games brand new in the box from the same Thrift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Javoroski
United States
Keota
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. I guess maybe we're lucky in the IC area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bieber

Sacramento
California
msg tools
I recently found Ticket to Ride Marklin Collector's Edition at a thrift store for $4.99

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brotherbock wrote:

Tom, I have "thrifted" a lot of games from Stuff, and have had many of them incomplete. I complained, and they said "we can't be bothered to count pieces". It frustrates me as they usually tape the heck out of their games too.

I have found some good stuff there though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Javoroski
United States
Keota
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hawkeyept wrote:
brotherbock wrote:

Tom, I have "thrifted" a lot of games from Stuff, and have had many of them incomplete. I complained, and they said "we can't be bothered to count pieces". It frustrates me as they usually tape the heck out of their games too.

I have found some good stuff there though...

I've had exactly the same experiences. I frequently stop over at the service counter, ask for a pair of scissors to cut the tape, and I'll stand there and count pieces for a half hour or so.

Recently I started informing them that they'd be able to sell some games for more if they didn't tape the boxes. That seemed to catch their interest.

As far as the poll goes, what I've found is that games I pick up from thrift stores are much more likely to be complete. It seems like Stuff attracts people who ditch games once they have lost enough pieces to make them unplayable as-is, and they hope they can get some money from the unplayable game. (and then people like us buy it, thinking we can complete it ) Pretty much any collectible game--SW Minis, for example--will be guaranteed to have any valuable pieces gone...and very likely a few random pieces from other games thrown in. The Stuff people seem to care nothing about that.

But I'm guessing those same people would feel worse about donating that game. It occurred to me when I was in a Salvation Army store in the Quad Cities the other day.

We need to get together one of these weekends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.