Subject: Who is an oil giant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Kuntz
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
The oilmen were Rodney “license king”, Don, “peter out” Joe, “I know what I am going to do” and Joel, “I thought I beat Rodney”

Don said that he remembered the board. Joe had played the game before. First time plays for Rodney and me. Rule explanation took about 20 minutes. We kicked off the game at 7:00pm and finished at 8:45pm

The scores were:

Joe - $126,500
Don $120,500
Rodney - $80,000
Joel - $76,500

At the outset Joe stated, “I know what I am going to do”

In the one rig chits the 4 came out quickly, and Joe advanced his train almost to the end of the rail line quickly by the time we completed one full circuit of the table.

Don “peter out” drilled early and often but toward the end of the game he said he was petering out, and he had one rig and one crude marker on the board. Don was the first to capitalize on a big sale price auction at “Jet Oil”. $8500. He was also the first to start “pink envy” by getting the first $50,000 bill

Joe “I know what I am going to do” advance his truck slowly up the center, finding 4, 5 and 6 well heads seemingly at will. His train was a bullet and he advanced it within two from the end of the rail line. He also marched each of our trains back 5 spaces. Don and Rodney did have to use Joe’s train for delivery one turn. Joe also drew the second pink $50,000. Interestingly, as he held that $50,000, for a brief moment he was like Gollum mesmerized. In the end Joe, had all but one of his rigs on the board with quite a bit of crude.

Rodney “ license king” always seemed to have the tallest license stack, but only Joe actually measured, once or was it twice? Rodney never seemed to have a problem with production, licensing or delivery. In the end game Rodney did win sizeable auctions at “Hudson and “Jet”, giving him a solid third place

Joel “I thought I beat Rodney”, well I did. More than half of my well heads were only two crude producers. The train move backs did limit my exploration, my licenses were also constrained and my timing was definitely off during the auctions. In the end my train was in first, I had one rig and three crude markers on the board. I was the only one who overflowed two times for one crude marker each time.

In post analysis, Don “peter out” would have won had he not had to deliver his oil using Joe’s train and then the black train on another turn.

The game was relaxed. There was no sense of urgency, even when the black train was four spaces away from the end of the line, but I think everyone would have like another turn.

Strategies that I might try next time:

Never overflow during the actual game play, if it can be helped.

Always try to have 4 to 6 movement for your train. Your truck should always be behind your train.

Try to position your truck to run in between two drilling sites whenever possible.

When you are license heavy this is the time to influence the market up and consolidate your oil delivery, when license light be prepared to push the market down.

Do not gamble on red sites, use them as back up.

Like or Dislike:
Joe “I know what I am going to do” – liked
Don “petering out” – did not say
Rodney “license king” – did not say
Joel “I thought I beat Rodney” – liked

Even though I liked the game I felt it was missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.