World in Flames» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Noobs in flames 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco semori
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys here is our report about our global war playing by Vassal.
We are playing with all expansions (except Lif and Fif), all optional rules (except tankers and intelligence) and the 2d10 system.
It's our first global ever so don't be shy to give us advices or comments :)

Hope you enjoy it, sorry for the mistakes, my english is pretty bad.

Players:
Me - Germany and Italy
Federico - Japan

Alle - Allies

We are looking for another italian guy for the allies, if someone of you know any italian players please write me on bgg.

G/F 1940

It's a cold winter night over Amsterdam when the Dutchs are wake up by a distant sirens noise, the sky is fill by dark aircrafts...

On 2 of genuary the Germany DOW Netherlands, the Luftwaffe port strikes Rotterdam, an air battle takes place over the harbor, 2 Brit figthers flocks against 3 German and 2 wave of bombers, the Henkel and the BF repel the Brit, but the snow saves the Dutch fleet (only a trs was damaged).
Few hours later the Wehrmacht cross the borders and 2 days later, despiting the snow, conquers the whole Netherlands without losses.
(yes, we made a mistake, brit cannot cap over Rotterdam, luckly the air battle had no consequences).

The USA public opinion looks astonished (+1 chit).

2 weeks later German decide to force the game and DOW to Belgium (+1 chit), the Luftwaffe completely destroyes the Brussel defenders (2 flip) and the Wehrmacht are able to conquer the whole country in few days.
Only few losses are suffer conquering bridgehead along the Mosa (1 inf div) to avoid the french army fortify along the river.

In Asia Yamamoto seems unrestrainable, the Japanese aviation hit the mountains near Kwei Yang (without result), then they bombard the city itself (1 flip) and Yamamoto commands the risky assault (was a +9) and only his lead allow the take of the city with only minor losses (some japanese flip and 1 chinese garrison destroyed, it was a 1S).
Still shoked for the Netherlands fall the USA doesn't reply.

The only replies by the Allies is the bombardment of Hannover steelworks (1 pp lost), send a strong fleet in the north sea and launch an heavy bombardment over the german spearhead in Amsterdam (Von Bock flipped)
While February come to end the german fleet force both the north sea block and the Faer Oer watchmen but they don't find nothing.

The USA Congress decides to drive Japanese to a war denying them the vital resources they need (+1 tens).
Several strikes against the occupation, lock the Shangai factories (1 partisan appear in Shangai).

Losses (bp): German 2, Chinese 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
azalin1982 wrote:

In Asia Yamamoto seems unrestrainable, the Japanese aviation hit the mountains near Kwei Yang (without result), then they bombard the city itself (1 flip) and Yamamoto commands the risky assault (was a +9)

"Risky"? A +9 assault in China is about as good as it will EVER be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco semori
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the lowest attack done untill now :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azalin1982 wrote:
It was the lowest attack done untill now

Really??? Hmm. I have to tell you, in China with the Japanese if I can get even a +5, I'm attacking. It's a theater where you have to suck it up and accept losses - the terrain is just tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah China. I remember going on a huge offensive in China and getting really lucky capturing a whole bunch of Chinese cities in one turn. I then got really unlucky with the political consequences with the Americans getting annoyed at every single capture soblue

Having to attack Pearl Harbour in Mar/Apr 1941 because the Americans were about to declare war anyway was a tad annoying...

Details: 3rd or 4th edition many years ago, so some facts might be slightly distorted due to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco semori
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx Wendell! As I highlighted... we are very noobs :)
and what about France? Should I attack also with low odds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azalin1982 wrote:
Thx Wendell! As I highlighted... we are very noobs
and what about France? Should I attack also with low odds?

France is different. French units are all in clear or forested terrain so they aren't doubled on defense, and the attacker can call blitz. Plus when attacking the French in clear hexes, concentrating German armor brings bonuses on the 2d10 table that can be the equivalent of an odds shift or two. Plus the German airforce is much better than the Japanese TAC and will do better at flipping French defenders.

Situation will depend of course but I look for halfway decent numbers for attacks in France, +8 or better ideally. If blitzing, at least the attacker is likely to take fewer losses (be sure to have motorized divisions to absorb attacker losses) so the fear of a bad roll is less than on an assault where hitting the magic '14' result can cost you three units (if bad terrain, as most of China is). The later in the turn, the lower the odds I will accept usually... and the availability of HQs to reorganize should your +5 blitz end up flipping all attackers will change the calculus too.

But again, it all varies by situation - weather, time of the turn, what turn it is, shape of the French army, availability of aircraft, HQs, do I feel lucky, etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.