Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With all optional cards from the Deluxe Edition added, and no variants (like Chinese Civil War or bidding), is there a consensus (or even a feeling) of how balanced the game is? I still feel like the USSR has the advantage. The next time I play, it would be nice to know if I should throw the USA a bone or two to make the game more fair.

(Standard forum rules apply. I couldn't find an answer anywhere that I search for these sorts of answers, so if it exists, I did my best and couldn't find it so please be nice.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My games of the deluxe edition with optional cards have been very even between both sides. I don't feel I have an advantage as USSR at all. If anything, I think I would slightly prefer to play US as if I am in a reasonable position come the Mid War I feel I have a good shot at winning. With USSR you really need to get a good lead in the Early War to be able to withstand a 10-turn game.

I think skill is the most important factor in this game, regardless of its asymmetry and healthy doses of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
The wargameroom league this season is using the deluxe edition cards with no bidding. Early returns seem to have a large proportion of USSR wins, but reading the details of the reports seems to indicate a lot of close calls. A full season should give us more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
The wargameroom league this season is using the deluxe edition cards with no bidding. Early returns seem to have a large proportion of USSR wins, but reading the details of the reports seems to indicate a lot of close calls. A full season should give us more information.

This will certainly yield most of the information I'm looking for. Thanks for the update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few deluxe games my gut says that there is a very slight advantage to the USSR. I think adding one extra US IP to Iran might even it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
capadotia wrote:
After a few deluxe games my gut says that there is a very slight advantage to the USSR. I think adding one extra US IP to Iran might even it out.

The ACTS ladder lets players choose to play deluxe, and it seems people are bidding 1 or 2 US ip. I don't have any data about how those games are panning out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.