Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Heywood
United States
Kelso
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a very great reviewer, but this game does deserve the attention.

I got into the game from the end of finding the downloads section on Spartan Games' website. There you can get counters, cut out fleets and the most basic one sheet summary of the rules. With that you can have an experemental game, only without the fighter wings or mines or any other of the deeper rules. This is how I got into it, only I decided to make my own ships as I could not yet afford the models (which I have seen and they are mighty pretty!).

I liked it well enough to go blow forty bucks on the game book and the deck of "STAR" cards at Rainy Day Games near Hillsboro Oregon. Great little shop full of niftiness and quite friendly.

Upon reading the book in depth, I found the rules not far different from what I had supposed. The online forum community at Spartan is great and there were many answers to questions there as well as images of the models as painted by other players. In this new era of sharing, good web presence is a real bonus to this sort of game. Knowing that others are playing as well is a good thing, I reckon.

Anyway, the game plays with bunches of d6 for firing on other ships and movement based on free form using a template. The templates are also available for download.

The book itself is very nicely laid out and has great art, but there are a few places where a table has a column identity problem, such as the firepower cost table in the ship construction section. Worth it, I think.

The cards are not necessary to the basic game, but they do add an element of complexity and randomness to the game that I found enjoyable. It would be wise to put them in card sleeves, as they are simply printed. Mostly worth it.

The models look great, but I made my own anyway. If I did not have very young children or if I did not seriously lack budget, I would happily snap them up by the fleet.

I like the game a lot, even if I do keep getting wiped from space, even by my eight year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Your miniatures are quite nice. How did you make them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heywood
United States
Kelso
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Foamcore and balsa wood mostly. I just wanted something in a hurry, so was not too careful. I used the fleet cutouts as patterns, sort of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.