Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Often times when people are posting about a game it appears in blue text which can be clicked on to take you to that particular games page. I don't know how to do that.

Same with sharing links without having to post the actual link..

Like this.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/create/region/1

...oh and links to other users in the BGG community.

I've gotten better with quoting other people in posts, but not sure how people quote from multiple posts in the same response.

Any other tips along those lines would be useful too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
This geeklist is your friend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
At the top of the reply box, there is a drop down menu that says Insert Geek Link.

This will give you a bunch of choices.

For the link below, I search for Elk fest and then typed MOOSE! in the Alternate Text box.

Try it!

Moose!

Also, here are two geeklists that you may find enlightening:

(for these I needed to find the geeklist ID number which is in the URL and put that in the box)
Tricks of the Geek

More Tricks of the Geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try these GeekLisst:

Tricks of the Geek or
More Tricks of the Geek

Damn! Beaten by less than a minute!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and your specific question as to putting in gamelinks...
When you're doing a post, there's an Insert Geek Link dropdown menu. Select the game (or geeklist etc). There's even a window for "optional text" if you want to customize it.

And here are some More Tricks of the Geek...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
Try these GeekLisst:

Tricks of the Geek or
More Tricks of the Geek

Well no one can accuse us BGGers of not being helpful eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Makelith wrote:
Often times when people are posting about a game it appears in blue text which can be clicked on to take you to that particular games page. I don't know how to do that.

either use the drop down Insert Geek Link to insert boardgame or write

[gameID=#] Where the number is the game ID#, which is easiest to find by visiting the game page and then looking at the top address bar...
i.e. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/959/luftschiff is Game ID 959, so inserting that as # gives you...

Luftschiff

The same thing can be done with images.

Quote:

Again, this can be done using the drop down box or...

[thread=#][/thread]

You wrote:
I've gotten better with quoting other people in posts, but not sure how people quote from multiple posts in the same response.

Easiest way to do this is cut and paste. You can then manually type [q= "whomever"] without the space and end it with [/q]

If you ever want to know how anybody did anything, you can usually tell by hitting the quote button to see how they did this.

Like, inserting a user...
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Amazing community of people here. Thank you all, and I think you're on the wrong side of the border to be saying eh... eh? ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
dogzard wrote:
Try these GeekLisst:

Tricks of the Geek or
More Tricks of the Geek

laugh

When I was typing mine I thought I ought to got back and add the line about how to find the geeklist ID number and as I did it I thought, "well, this is going to slow me down and now mine isn't going to be first answer.'

darned if I wasn't right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm here for the ambiance.
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If, by some chance you happen to have the problem of the link not including the game's name after you've selected it (which always happens to me), just type the name in between the brackets and it will work the same as if the link had been supplied by BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, when I originally created Tricks of the Geek I just thought it might be useful for a few people. Now we get a question like this and the first 3 responses direct the questioner to that geeklist? I better check to make sure that thing's up to date and accurate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Makelith wrote:

Like this.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/create/region/1

...oh and links to other users in the BGG community.

Any other tips along those lines would be useful too.

First tip: See it, Quote it.

When you see something done, Quickquote or Quote the message. That will show you the code for what's being done. For example, quoting this will show you the bold above, though it won't tell you to select text then click on the B in the message-writing window to bold the selected text. Likewise with italic, underline, and strikethrough. Hover your mouse over the other icons on that line to see what they do.

Note: If you just see Quote and not Quickquote, as on Geeklists, it usually acts like Quickquote, not leaving the page you're on.

Tip: Preview everything while you're getting used to doing stuff, and remember you can always edit a message when that one little change fraks it up.
Firefox tip: Go to add ons and install Lazarus. Lazarus remembers anything you type into a text box, so if you accidentally change pages, you won't lose your typing.

Clickable Stuff

Mostly this is done through the Insert Geek Link pull down. The game stuff is really easy: just start typing in the name of the game, and it'll auto complete.
Tip: if you cut and paste into the form, you may have to type a space to start it auto-completing.

Stuff that asks for ID numbers can be confusing. This thread's URL is http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/620934/not-exactly-new-b... so it's ID is 620934, but your top "reply" has the URL http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6304897#6304897 so it's ID is 6304897. Note that reply IDs are about ten times bigger than thread IDs, seven instead of six digits. You get the reply URL from Posted at the bottom of the reply.
Tip: Don't click on a clickable (blue) URL, but in normal text or your browser's address bar, double click to get the number: "...ead/620934/not-ex..."--a double click in the middle gets you "620934".
Tip: Often it's easiest to go to what you want to link to in a new tab, double click the number in your address bar, then insert that into the message you're writing.

For a user, enter their ID not their name. Yours is Makelith:
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tip: Everyone's ID is a link to their profile. Don't try to double click it!

The most useful, but annoying Geek Link is Custom Link. It can link to anything on the Geek, and if you click the link from BGG, you'll stay in BGG; click it from VGG, you stay in VGG; and so on for RPGG and Geekdo. But, you pretty much have to start with the whole URL, as for this forum, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/59/boardgamegeek/new-user... -- but you have to manually trim it to /forum/59/boardgamegeek/new-user-questions for Custom Link. I usually plug in the whole URL, then delete everything up through ".com". Like this: /forum/59/boardgamegeek/new-user-questions

You can link to anything with the URL button further to the right in the tools, but it's even less automatic. it just inserts [url][/url]. If you have text selected, it will insert [url]select text[/url]. You have to fill in, in the first tag, =the-url-you-want like:
[url=http://www.boardgamegeek.com]BGG[/url]: BGG.

Quoting Multiple People

Remember the discussion about Quickquote and Quote on Geeklists keeping you on the same page? You can also open more than one! For example, here I am typing this reply. I go to Blott's message, hit Quickquote (not Quote!), copy the quote, cancel that reply so BGG doesn't get confused, and paste it here:
Blott wrote:
Man, when I originally created Tricks of the Geek I just thought it might be useful for a few people. Now we get a question like this and the first 3 responses direct the questioner to that geeklist? I better check to make sure that thing's up to date and accurate...
Tip: Triple-click to select a paragraph.

More Stuff

Try things. Most things are pretty harmless. View More Emoticons? Click away. If it just inserts tags like URL, usually you just want to put text in. Like: Code (The code tag can give you monospaced type so you can align columns, and blank space.) If you want to play with images, try Images in Messages.

New Stuff
You can [floatleft]
anything to the left,
usually pictures, but
also text, as you see;
but you have to
manually break lines.
Simultaneously.
you can
[floatright]!

These end in
[/ ... ] as
usual.
And this stuff, outside the floats but after them, works as usual. You can even make the floats or the normal text complex with most formatting, pictures, microbadges, and such. Quotes and user avatars don't work. Some things I haven't tried yet.

Another new feature is:
[center]Stuff in
the center[/center]

Old Stuff

There are some old little-used codes around that can be handy if you like to type codes quickly. If you ever see a post you can't figure the formatting out, Quickquote it! Be on the lookout for formatting by
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Not that it's easy to miss or anything.... laugh (I picked up this little code just recently from one of his posts. Who knew?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.