Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wizard Eye; 1 use, or continual? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freedeath
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Wizard Eye (Dragonborn Wizard) power card only work once, or does the Wizard Eye token stay in play? If it stays in play, there's no need to ever flip the card back face up again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how we play it. we also mingle power cards from CR/Woa when creating characters (e.g I play elandrin from CR, but choose Mage Eye as one of my powers from WoA. This sets up a Mage Eye/Magic Missle combo making the wizard a badass.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Can someone quote what the card says for us who haven't received the game yet?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sialivi wrote:
Can someone quote what the card says for us who haven't received the game yet?


Use this power during your hero phase.

Place the Wizard Eye token on a tile within 1 tile of you.

Instead of moving during your hero Phase, you can move the Wizard Eye marker 1 tile.

During you Exploration Phase, you can explore as if your hero was on any unexplored edge on the Wizard Eye's tile.

So what you do is cast Wizard eye and just stand there sniping monsters the whole session. I can beat entire solo adventures without even moving off the start tile with this thing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Richards
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jegan22280 wrote:

So what you do is cast Wizard eye and just stand there sniping monsters the whole session. I can beat entire solo adventures without even moving off the start tile with this thing.


Just remember that if you miss with magic missle, the missed monster moves one tile closer. It seems like I always miss the ghouls, but forget to move the monster closer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jegan22280 wrote:
So what you do is cast Wizard eye and just stand there sniping monsters the whole session. I can beat entire solo adventures without even moving off the start tile with this thing.


Interesting tactic! I might try this out when I play the wizard...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freedeath
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's part of why I was asking; it seems overpowered. However, only getting 1 use out of it seems underpowered.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
filovirus wrote:
Just remember that if you miss with magic missle, the missed monster moves one tile closer. It seems like I always miss the ghouls, but forget to move the monster closer.

tru dat, that's what hypnotise is for. also i found that comboing this up with Flaming Sphere is like 347,851,964% more efficient.

"Oh, hello new monster. Welcome to life. Go attack that guy. You missed? Don't let that get you down. You have other issues to deal with now that you're on fire and all."
ninjadorg wrote:
jegan22280 wrote:
So what you do is cast Wizard eye and just stand there sniping monsters the whole session. I can beat entire solo adventures without even moving off the start tile with this thing.


Interesting tactic! I might try this out when I play the wizard...

Just watch out for those encounters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jegan22280 wrote:
Just watch out for those encounters.


If you're exploring every turn that shouldn't matter should it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
jegan22280 wrote:
Just watch out for those encounters.


If you're exploring every turn that shouldn't matter should it?


Unless you draw a tile with a black triangle on it. And eventually, you have to physically show up somewhere which may get you an encounter if you had to do anything else in a turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedeath wrote:
Does the Wizard Eye (Dragonborn Wizard) power card only work once, or does the Wizard Eye token stay in play? If it stays in play, there's no need to ever flip the card back face up again.


We played it that the Wizard Eye token stays in play, but we never even considered that it might be a one-off.

As far as over/under-powered: I know that it's not on the token or the card, but maybe it would be balanced if the token were killable. That way, it sticks around, but if left unguarded or not moved away from monsters, it could be destroyed. Someone should draw up a variant rule for that. ;)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Arborshate wrote:
Freedeath wrote:
Does the Wizard Eye (Dragonborn Wizard) power card only work once, or does the Wizard Eye token stay in play? If it stays in play, there's no need to ever flip the card back face up again.


We played it that the Wizard Eye token stays in play, but we never even considered that it might be a one-off.

As far as over/under-powered: I know that it's not on the token or the card, but maybe it would be balanced if the token were killable. That way, it sticks around, but if left unguarded or not moved away from monsters, it could be destroyed. Someone should draw up a variant rule for that.

Wouldn't that defeat the point? If we do this, why not make it a one-off power? It'll get the kibosh from the first monster it reveals anyways.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jegan22280 wrote:
Arborshate wrote:
Freedeath wrote:
Does the Wizard Eye (Dragonborn Wizard) power card only work once, or does the Wizard Eye token stay in play? If it stays in play, there's no need to ever flip the card back face up again.


We played it that the Wizard Eye token stays in play, but we never even considered that it might be a one-off.

As far as over/under-powered: I know that it's not on the token or the card, but maybe it would be balanced if the token were killable. That way, it sticks around, but if left unguarded or not moved away from monsters, it could be destroyed. Someone should draw up a variant rule for that. ;)

Wouldn't that defeat the point? If we do this, why not make it a one-off power? It'll get the kibosh from the first monster it reveals anyways.


Yeah, maybe. I've had another thought on it, but this should probably go into a separate thread under "variants". :whistle:
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keegan
United States
Whitman
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Every other Utility power in the game is a one time use, why should this power be any different? The three Utility powers in WoA all help a Wizard's survivability, one of the issues people had with the Wizard in CR since you really need to explore very turn. If Wizard Eye stayed out, there is no reason to take any other utility power at all. They may as well have made it the Wizards passive power.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jegan22280 wrote:
So what you do is cast Wizard eye and just stand there sniping monsters the whole session. I can beat entire solo adventures without even moving off the start tile with this thing.


Incidentally, I tried this tactic with the wizard on the first (solo) adventure. Failed twice but scraped a win on the third attempt. It's a neat little power.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chainsawash wrote:
Every other Utility power in the game is a one time use, why should this power be any different? The three Utility powers in WoA all help a Wizard's survivability, one of the issues people had with the Wizard in CR since you really need to explore very turn. If Wizard Eye stayed out, there is no reason to take any other utility power at all. They may as well have made it the Wizards passive power.


I'll give you that, but it's going to take a call to WotC to get a final ruling here. As an aside, the power is still one time use in the sense that you cannot cast two of these bad boys.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
jegan22280 wrote:
So what you do is cast Wizard eye and just stand there sniping monsters the whole session. I can beat entire solo adventures without even moving off the start tile with this thing.


Incidentally, I tried this tactic with the wizard on the first (solo) adventure. Failed twice but scraped a win on the third attempt. It's a neat little power.


Not as easy as it sounds, eh? I noticed that tis increases survivability but doesn't break the game. try it wit flaming sphere instead and hypnotise any monster that comes to close. Also, this works better in CR. I made it thru Adventure Impossible in 2 characters doing this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
There is a reason to flip the wizard eye power card. If you get separated from your wizard eye you might want to recast the spell rather than use multiple move actions to reposition it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Johnstone
Canada
Villa Straylight, Freeside
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about this and came up with the idea - the Wizard Eye can continue to exist until the wizard who cast it decides to move. What do you all think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lewis
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to revive an old thread, but, except for WOA Adventure 2, where the goal is just to kill 12 monsters, you WILL have to move at some point, so i don't think it's all that overpowered.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.