Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple of queries...

When scoring for Dangers (on your player board, worth 15pts) can it be any 3 Dangers or does it have to be one each of a Skull, a snake and a mask?

Also we got stuck in base camp as the first person's explore turned up a fallen tree! We didn't realise (until rereading the rules) that each player can explore a different base camp square as their first explore and so I wasted my initial free explores (from building items) as I didn't have Knives x 2. The question arises though if a player's first explore draw puts them on a Fallen tree tile are they stuck there until they build Knives x2 or are all the base camp tiles freely explorable by all players?

The other issue we had (in a 2 player intro game) is that we quickly boxed ourselves in regarding building since I was stuck waiting for a Green 1 to complete any of my grids, poor playing on my part partially but we're looking forward to the Full Game where we'll have the possibility of wild rolls so we can pick up any drift cube.

My wife did enjoy the rolling aspect (she won by a clean mile with her pesky camera) and we liked that even with wasted rolls the game runs along pretty briskly and the time track only moves if you complete a grid.

Looking forward to playing the full rules game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Leigh, glad you got it to the table so quickly, i'll go through each point in turn for you:

1.When scoring dangers on your board can it be any danger or must it be a snake, then a mask, then a skull?

It can be any 3 dangers. The 3 icons on the mat are simply there to remind you of the 3 possible dangers. So, if you beat 3 snakes, you move your marker to the far right of the danger box (position 3) and claim a bonus 15 points at game end.

2. Stuck at base camp because of a fallen tree

This is described in the shaded box-out example on p8 showing Katie's turn, but to quickly recap - all 'bad' tiles are ignored on the 4 shaded start squares, including fallen trees, red tiles and storms. Simply place your marker onto the fallen tree tile and then move off it, as you would for any 'good' tile, for your next move. Similarly, other players can ignore a fallen tree in this shaded start area.

All 'good' tiles can be claimed in these starting squares; photographs can be taken, too. It's basically designed to give players a (very brief) bit of breathing space before venturing into the dangerous heart of the island.

3. Wild rolls in intro game
Eek! You DO use wild 'joker' rolls in the intro game (pink 6 and then pink 5 if you build ropes x2). This is crucial as it'll give you a much smoother game, with lots of freebie chances to plug those pesky pieces of driftwood that never seem to wash ashore.

You really shouldn't be waiting too long for many shapes, unless you go for a bunch of tougher single colour grids from the off, such as torch, sanity, and, say, tools. (then you're simply asking for trouble, greedy guts!)

The intro game also uses the free explore combo roll (green 6 and later 5 if strength 1 built) it's just the third special events combo (yellow 5 and 6) such as storm, free fish, jellyfish sting and steal which are saved for the full-blown strategy game.

I think you might have misread special combos as special events and then missed out on the other two combos. It's my fault for making the terminology so similar, so sorry about that.

Good to hear you were pipped at the post by some neat camera work - my other half has snatched many a game with a good fishing / photography combo, especially when grabbing a late snapshot of the mysterious lights, bagging a whopping 12 points with seconds to spare. Then again sometimes you can build the camera early, in anticipation of a good haul of shots, and you might be lucky to catch a bright flower or two.

Glad you both liked your first outing. Let me know how things go once you throw a few task cards into the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooops! Re-reading the rules I can see that now...not sure why I thought wild rolls weren't allowed in the base game! That would make things MUCH smoother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should find play much smoother with joker in play. Also, avoid too many simultaneous single colour grids, too early on. Once you've had a few games and experimented with re-roll, joker (pink 5&6), extra colour and extra free explore (green 5&6) you'll be able to decide which paths you prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jere Pikkumäki
Finland
Rovaniemi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Isla!
Leighbob wrote:

The other issue we had (in a 2 player intro game) is that we quickly boxed ourselves in regarding building since I was stuck waiting for a Green 1 to complete any of my grids, poor playing on my part partially but we're looking forward to the Full Game where we'll have the possibility of wild rolls so we can pick up any drift cube.

This is just what happens so often.. I plan too much ahead and forget to focus on how I should build the grids. That leaves me with a situation that there's only one driftcube that could solve the mess. And as I'm waiting for that one and very much needed piece, the other player is having it all and building almost a grid per turn!

And of course. If the other player is stuck and waiting for that Green One... you should do everything to get those Green Ones on your player board! And as you get them, never finish that grid! That gives some serious problems for the other player to solve!! arrrh

To survive from such of a deadly situation one needs to get some "Green Six" rolls to swap the driftcubes, or to get free explores and try to find a Storm! The bigger the Storm is, the better is the outcome. You will lose driftcubes and that will give some free space to build with.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrgghhh, I just want my game to arrive so I can play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JPikkumaki wrote:

And of course. If the other player is stuck and waiting for that Green One... you should do everything to get those Green Ones on your player board! And as you get them, never finish that grid! That gives some serious problems for the other player to solve!! arrrh

Jere! That's darned nasty of you! - but a good example of how watching other players' boards might benefit when plowing ahead with your own survival needs.

JPikkumaki wrote:

To survive from such of a deadly situation one needs to get some "Green Six" rolls to swap the driftcubes, or to get free explores and try to find a Storm! The bigger the Storm is, the better is the outcome. You will lose driftcubes and that will give some free space to build with.

What do you think?

Wow, I'd never thought of using a storm to deliberately clean shapes off the mat. Cool, although it might be a touch quicker [spoiler alert] to not place an awkward shape in the first place, especially if it's the only place you can put it and it's going to leave two, maybe three single cubes. Maybe better to sacrifice one roll that'll need 3-6 rolls to put right?

And don't forget, the other good thing about using the 'swap' on a green 6 and not the 'free explore' (you can choose either) is you don't need to push up one space on the time-track. Just switch shapes and carry on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.