Ben Friedberg
United States
Warsaw
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the dice rolling is pretty bleh for me in PR:tCL. What would people think of each player having cards 1-6 and having to play all of them before getting them back? Might make for some more careful (and predictable) planning... Is the potential for AP too high at that point, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it would lead to AP. The predictable planning sounds a bit humdrum to me, though. The risk-management currently in the game is excellent. The only bad roll is a 2, and the Fusion Drive takes care of that pretty handily.

I've played Perry Rhodan about 25 times and the die doesn't bother me at all, and has very low impact on skillful play. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The randomness in the beginning of the game is nice and intentional. Then you quickly build up using various technologies and usually by mid game you can zoom all over the place. This is core of the game, removing it will not have a whole lot left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
The only bad roll is a 2...

"Now why would he say that..." Oh fudge.

Last game I rolled five or six ones, and forgot the free re-roll rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And remember, it's not just a re-roll, but a re-roll +1.

Perry Rhodan is one of those games that features theoretical infinite movement. Clearly broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I don't have a problem with the flight variance in theory, as it introduces an unpredictable element that is very welcome in what could be a dry optimization exercise. But if one person gets a turn or two behind in their initial shipments, it also puts them behind in purchasing technology, which puts them further behind in future shipments, rinse, repeat. In this short of a game, it's not a deal-breaker, but I feel like the variance (and thus unpredictability) could be kept in without allowing one player to get the short end of the stick.

The simplest variant would be splitting up a deck of dice between the two players, and drawing a card instead of using the die roll. But, I'd be interested in trying out other ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.