Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife recently purchased Cyclades for me for Valentine's Day (romantic, huh? ) We try to purchase games that we'll both like and will both want to play. When I explained to her what Cyclades was like, she thought it would be very interesting, especially the bidding for the favor of the Gods aspect of the game. I also am very excited to try this game out, so it seemed like a win-win. Something came up the other day that caused me to wonder if this really will be a game my wife likes, though...

I introduced my wife to Nexus Ops, as I was able to find a used copy via the classified ads recently. She was not a fan. She didn't like the game mainly because she wasn't exactly sure how to best position herself on the board and she didn't like the conflict. I explained to her that there would be a fair amount of conflict in Cyclades, and she seemed surprised (obviously I didn't describe the game well enough to her in the first place). So now for my question. How does the conflict in Nexus Ops compare to the conflict in Cyclades? Or rather how important is the conflict in Cyclades? In Nexus Ops the main way you get points is by winning battles. Could Cyclades still be fun if you tried to avoid battles as much as possible?

My wife will still try it, so maybe I'll need to just wait and see how she likes it. She is looking forward to the bidding and city building aspect of the game, so maybe if she likes the other parts of the game, she'll be okay with the conflict. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The amount of conflict in the game depends on the players. One way to gain buildings/metropolises is to take over an island controlled by another player.

Sorry, I haven't played Nexus Ops... but it seems much more war related than Cyclades.

As you say, give it a try and see how it goes.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There certainly is conflict. But i won games with only one fight or so.
In nexus ops you have to fight to achieve youre goals. Usually some small fighting at start and then a finishing round where you do alot of fighting to win the game. For me the whole game is about exploring a bit, building up and fighting alot. The objectives you have to carry out force you to battle. People having the monolith for to long will force you to attack them or you will undergo attacks from them. Basically this game is a bit explore and gathering resources and a big majority of fighting.

In cyclades you can certainly win by fighting, but you dont have to fight a lot. Just a few key battles are more then enough.Also in cylcades theres alot more going on then just fighting.
You have the bidding which can be a game upon itself,
you have the buildings with their bonusses
the priest
the creatures
the ...
I like this game alot.

I have not played with two yet so have no clue how that works out. I do know that trying to avoid combat at all cost wont be a very good idea. Trying to avoid battle and only doing some key battles is a great idea, at least in the 4-5 player games i played.

In this game you build up, you explore, you need resources(hopefully more then youre opponent and then force them to spend it), you need to have short and longterm plans and mostly be willing to adapt or abandon plans as people change the playing field.

Hope this was a bit helpfull
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is an incredibly combat driven game. You need to attack to score points, and you are rewarded for frequent attacks.

Compared to that, there's a lot less fighting in Cyclades.

However, the fighting that does go on in Cyclades is very important, and a bit "nastier" than in Nexus Ops. In Nexus Ops, units get crunched like popcorn and you really can't expect to hang onto much. In Cyclades, you can invest quite a bit of effort into building up an island just to have it taken away from you.

My impression is that a player that doesn't like direct confrontation probably won't like Cyclades.

But its a very cool and pretty game, so hopefully it will go over well. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies!

Based on the responses so far, I am thinking that my wife may actually like the game, since Cyclades has much more going on than just flat out war. She'll certainly like it more than Nexus Ops! The one thing that worries me is the "nasty" combat in Cyclades, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speedy Petey
Sweden
flag msg tools
I haven’t played this game but I think the conflict might be a little trickier in this one than more traditional war games. Nobody takes offence when they’re attacked in Risk because that is how the game is played. Attacking in Cyclades on the other hand might seem more hostile as it is just one option among several other actions which could make it more personal and it can also be perceived as stealing; just imagine the upset feelings it would cause if you could snatch other players animals in Agricola - stay off my farm you thief and learn how to build your own farm!

So I guess it could be a difficult game if one is playing a euro and the other is playing Risk.

EDIT - I see that StormKnight came with some similar points as me while I was writing my reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me again...
My wife really likes Endeavor, where attacking is an option, but is a small portion of the overall game. The attacking in Cyclades is more common and integral to the game, but it is still a portion of the overall game. I'm excited to try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus ops is like a knife fight. You keep building a unit which immediately gets killed by the war grinder.

Cyclades is like a snow ball fight. You build a snow ball. Wait… Threaten some people that you will throw it. Than you finally throw it. It makes a little impact, someone may get upset. Than you have to stop and make a new snowball while everyone else gets ready to throw one at you.

Cyclades is not a combat game. It is a building game acquisition game. You need to get two metropolises. Some people may get theirs by force. But you don’t have to fight anyone to win the game.

SpeedyPetey wrote:
I haven’t played this game but I think the conflict might be a little trickier in this one than more traditional war games. Nobody takes offence when they’re attacked in Risk because that is how the game is played. Attacking in Cyclades on the other hand might seem more hostile as it is just one option among several other actions which could make it more personal and it can also be perceived as stealing; just imagine the upset feelings it would cause if you could snatch other players animals in Agricola - stay off my farm you thief and learn how to build your own farm!

So I guess it could be a difficult game if one is playing a euro and the other is playing Risk.

EDIT - I see that StormKnight came with some similar points as me while I was writing my reply.

If you have not played the game, don’t comment. I take attacks in Risk a lot more personal than Cyclades. There is always a very critical reason why someone attacks someone in Cyclades. Plus there are several steps to attack a person so you see it coming. So you can see the reason for the attack. Risk, you can attack anyone you want just because you don’t like them.

Philip Migas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both, and really agree as told above, Nexus Ops is all about fighting, but Cyclades isn't.
But be aware, that Cyclades as a 2-player game is VERY cutthroat! Not on military level, but You constantly have to screw her plans. It's a bit less cutthroat and more diplomatic with mulitple players.

So it happened, that while my wife likes Cyclades with four players, when we played 2p, it was a disaster. :)
(She hates Nexus Ops btw, and despite not playing 2p-Cyclades, still likes it.)

I suggest to try it first with more players if You have the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I don't play 2-player games all that often, and so I doubt we'd ever play Cyclades 2-player except to just learn the game. When just the two of us do play a game, it's usually Dominion or Stone Age.

I'm hoping my experience with Cyclades will be similar to Laszlo's above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speedy Petey
Sweden
flag msg tools
I found your answer helpful but you do need to take a chill pill:

I don’t see why I shouldn’t be able to make a comment in this thread as long as I’m clear about my lacking experience with the game and not present my reply as a definite answer from an experienced player. Just as the OP I have some concerns about the conflict aspect of the game and I expressed my take on it which I definitely think is a valid comment in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades and Nexus Ops are very different games and combat works in very different ways. One of the things I like about Nexus Ops is that it is a combat oriented game, but it's not normally a player elimination game, like Risk for example. Cyclades also doesn't have player elimination (except in rare situations that almost always lead to the immediate end of the game) and the combat is much different. You can go multiple rounds without any fighting. But like others have suggested, the combat is really important. A large part of the game revolves around positioning yourself through the auction for the favor of gods to pick up the right creatures to allow you to make one critical attack.

Summation: I like both games a lot - but if someone doesn't really like Nexus Ops because of the direct conflict, it does not mean they won't like Cyclades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
My (limited) experience with Cyclades is that the fighting is more about the threat of combat than the real combat. You can go an entire game with only one or two actual fights (or even none). There are a couple reasons for this:

* Fights are riskier. If you don't have an overwhelming advantage, you might just as easily lose your attackers which took you several turns to build and move (especially considering the time spent positioning your ships).

* You are restricted in your ability to attack. Barring certain creature cards, you can only attack if you get Ares. In a 2-4P game, Ares won't even be available every turn. And you're really not likely to get him every time you want him. On top of this, you can't typically move your attackers unless you position your ships, which requires Poseidon. And that is under the same limitations.

As a result, you may find it takes several turns to build up your forces, position your navy and get them where you want to go. Then if you blow the dice rolls, you could lose all of your investment very quickly.

I see the fighting in Cyclades as being like a game of chicken. Everyone is slowly positioning themselves to strike but, if the other players match you, it's difficult to pull the trigger.

Regarding Nexus Ops, if you and your wife were playing 2-player, try to get it played with 3-4 people. It's much better and the conflict feels less personal as it's happening between everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after our first play, it appears my fears of my wife not liking the game because of the conflict was unfounded. She actually took great pleasure in recruiting the Kraken, destroying most my fleet, and leaving him on my sea cornicopia. And eliminating me from one of my islands with the use of Ares on the next turn.

It's only been one game, but it looks like my experience will be similar to those above. Overall we really like the game and we've got a game scheduled for tonight too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.