Doom: The Boardgame» Forums » General

Subject: Doom is a great game ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
So I wonder if there is a second expansion planned...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point I very much doubt it.
Enjoy it and use the fan made programs to create your own levels. :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
License is expired.
Nothing, about DOOM, may be produced anymore.
Yes, this is sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We can still maintain some hope.

Doom 4 can come out and maybe a new license will be kindled. Then FFG can release the enigmatic "second expansion" they made.

In the meantime... well, I guess it's a good thing the board is modular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Then FFG can release the enigmatic "second expansion" they made.

I've only heard rumors about this expansion, that it was "in the works". Do you know how far they actually got to creating it?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I'm just perpetuating the rumor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Nope, I'm just perpetuating the rumor.

Woot!

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a petition for savbing the boardgame. Please participate.

Thank you.

http://www.petitiononline.com/sdoombg/petition.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Beckikaze wrote:
I created a petition for savbing the boardgame. Please participate.

You seem to have a few facts backwards in your petition there.
Support of Doom did not stop "after" Descent was published. The licensing agreement between FFG and iD broke first, meaning that FFG could not legally continue to produce new content for Doom, even though they wanted to. (You may have seen reference earlier in this thread to the rumoured "second expansion" they were working on when iD pulled the plug.)

Then, after Doom was dead in the water, they created Descent as a means to reuse the game engine they had created with an IP they could control.

Don't blame Descent for the demise of Doom. It wasn't FFG's choice to leave Doom behind, at least not entirely. They may have decided it was impractical to pay iD the fees they wanted (I don't know exactly why the license fell through, only that it did.)

By having your petition blame Descent for what happened to Doom, you make the entire effort seem petulant and ignorant. I don't expect any amount of signatures would revive Doom after 6 or 7 years of inactivity, but you could at least present a professional and mature front to your protest. Don't lay blame, just focus on trying to get the game you love restored.

It might also help if you could somehow show that everyone who signs the petition would be prepared to offer some token amount of money (say $10-$20) to fund any new licensing efforts with iD. And for God's sake, don't just say "we're willing to pay money" on the front page. Everyone's "willing to pay money" until they find out much it will cost. Maybe set up a Paypal account people can put funds into and see how much you can accumulate as a "donation." As they say: money talks, bullshit walks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
Then, after Doom was dead in the water, they created Descent as a means to reuse the game engine they had created with an IP they could control.

Really? I thought Descent was created because both Kevin was asked to make another game using the same engine and because Kevin wanted to further explore the engine. I didn't think the looming lapse in licensing had much if anything to do with Descent's creation (not that Descent and the Doom Expansion were published the same year, 2005).

Stewi wrote:
Don't blame Descent for the demise of Doom. It wasn't FFG's choice to leave Doom behind, at least not entirely. They may have decided it was impractical to pay iD the fees they wanted (I don't know exactly why the license fell through, only that it did.)

I don't think it "fell through", I think it just expired/lapsed and FFG decided to not renew it, probably because sales were not good enough to justify the cost (especially since they probably figured Descent will sell just as well and not cost them a license) and also probably because the cost was just too high. No idea though, just guessing on my part.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
engine

Wow, we are nerds, aren't we?

Anyway, what confuses me is that FFG stopped supporting Doom in their forums section. Doom has been purged from their site, as if it had never even been made. They may not have been allowed to make new Doom stuff, but why couldn't they re-print the already existing material?

There's a hole in my FFG profile where Doom used to be. I'll be wearing it like a badge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmmh... the forums is still in the archive. I was not very active there... there is something worthing to save before the whole thing disappear completly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kungfro is right.

It is weird that FFG has moved the DOOM forum section into the archive, removed all DOOM avatars and deleted the product page in the catalog.

For me that is a shame because it shows that FFG officially leaves DOOM behind.

I am afraid, as shnar already described, that FFG lost the interest in the DOOM licence earlier than you have explained, Stephen.

Nonetheless, the intention of the petition was to show FFG that there are a lot of fans out there who would love to see better support for this game.

And now after the expiration of the licence, FFG completely demontrates that DOOM does not longer belong to the catalog.

I cannot imagine that ID would initiate a lawsuit because of the fact that FFG sill leaves DOOM on their website.

But all in all I am a bit disappointed that there are less DOOM fans out there that I thought.

Maybe I will edit the petition again but I donĀ“t think that it is to harsh or ignorant (?) that anybody who is fan of the game would not participate.

Btw: I wrote a message to Kevin Wilson in which I asked him about the backstory of the 2nd expansion but I did not receive any answer. No time? No interest? I have no idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
shnar wrote:
engine

Wow, we are nerds, aren't we?

Anyway, what confuses me is that FFG stopped supporting Doom in their forums section. Doom has been purged from their site, as if it had never even been made. They may not have been allowed to make new Doom stuff, but why couldn't they re-print the already existing material?

There's a hole in my FFG profile where Doom used to be. I'll be wearing it like a badge.

Oo, they removed it from their Catalog of games too! So we can no longer download any of the "support" PDFs!!! That concerns me greatly, were they all uploaded here?

At least with the forums they still *exist*, unlike the Marvel Heroes game which is completely gone from the website, but the removal of the game from the catalog really sucks. I don't have a direct link to the old pages, does anyone have that bookmarked? Can we still go their directly?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get the rulebooks from here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
* IIRC, Sales of the first Doom expansion weren't high enough for FFG to release a second expansion. A second expansion *was* ready to be publsihed.

* It's possible that the licensing agreement had FFG remove website support, or something to the effect. FFG may have sided on the side of error for removing content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
* IIRC, Sales of the first Doom expansion weren't high enough for FFG to release a second expansion. A second expansion *was* ready to be publsihed.

Is that just rumor being perpetrated or did you see evidence of a second expansion? I'm just really curious what it was going to be about, how far into development they had gotten, etc.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.