Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the local newspapers for Austin, the Austin American Statesman, featured a nice article about Catan and gaming. Take a look.

http://www.austin360.com/recreation/settlers-of-catan-a-boar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Russell
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why,Oh Why does Monopoly always have to be the comparator??? Can't we just not write an article without that reference. And it was gleaned from another story from another newspaper (Wash Post) in order to bring it up. Sheesh.

Otherwise it's a pretty good article. This subject of business people playing it legitimizes it for a lot of people who don't want to be thought of as "playing" games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comet S
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's both funny and sad that he made the game sound like a similar thing to Monopoly and Risk, only "faster-paced" than them.

Maybe this is how non-gamers look at most of the eurogames...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Stewart
Canada
Grand Bay-Westfield
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
theatre steve wrote:
Why,Oh Why does Monopoly always have to be the comparator???

Because John Q. Article-reader only knows like 4 board games and Monopoly is the probably the closest thing to settlers in that list.

It's just an easy way of saying "a game that requires your attention for more than an hour", as opposed to Cranium or Partini.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
They got some real geeks for the article, even if they're using photos from the wrong game. Harold Coleman is someone who's active on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seoul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JordanZS wrote:
It's just an easy way of saying "a game that requires your attention for more than an hour", as opposed to Cranium or Partini.

I think this is where I'm supposed to complain that you take too long to play settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.