Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to Dominion. I'm looking for a recommended set (from the basic game only) for 4 players....dad, mom, and two teenagers. What 10 cards do you recommend and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the basic suggestion in the rulebook, and then start doing random sets, using the placeholders to draw 10 kingdom cards.

Playing with 10 random cards is really the best way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
I'm new to Dominion. I'm looking for a recommended set (from the basic game only) for 4 players....dad, mom, and two teenagers. What 10 cards do you recommend and why?

I would recommend the "first game" set until everyone is comfortable with the rules and has developed some strategies. Then you could have all of the players look over the cards and discuss what they would like and dislike. I think that only playtesting with this group will determine the best card set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another vote for the starter set mentioned in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish someone would come up with a "best basic set ten" or something like that. That would really be a helpful and useful contribution to the site.

Kidding. I'm kidding. Don't hit me.

(Also, try the "starter" set recommended in the rules for your first game, and then go nuts with the randomization. That's where the game really gets to be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have taught the game a lot, and I still prefer the First Game set from the original Dominion. It has almost all of the major concepts represented on relatively simple cards, and it really is the best way to learn. So in that regard, I seem to be like about everyone else who has posted here.

I will also join with those who say that after you have played a game or two with the First Game set, go ahead and shuffle up the selector cards (not including the 7 basic cards) and pick 10 at random for your next game. Usually they randomize differently enough that you can get a feel for the different ways the game can play. Some quick, some slow, some Attack-heavy, and some with no Attacks at all.

After you've played for a bit, don't be afraid to say, "We haven't played this card yet, let's throw it in the mix." Or, "I'd like to see that card more." Then put that card in, or maybe pick two or three cards, and then randomize the rest. I still do that sometimes when I have a specific card to playtest.

I rarely hand-pick 10 cards, unless I'm teaching, because I like the challenge of working with whatever cards fate presents to me. Some of the most interesting things I've discovered about the game have come from trying to figure out how to deal with what appeared at first glance to be a train-wreck of a setup. Sometimes seemingly bizarre strategies work.

Anyway, hope that helps. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enfynet enfynet
msg tools
mb
I've only played 3 or 4 games total (one day) and by the last game we decided to split up the cards by price and randomly draw two $2, two $3, three $4, and three $5/6. Each of the 4 players got a price group. once ten cards were picked, each player got to replace a single card. It seemed to work rather well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enfynet wrote:
I've only played 3 or 4 games total (one day) and by the last game we decided to split up the cards by price and randomly draw two $2, two $3, three $4, and three $5/6. Each of the 4 players got a price group. once ten cards were picked, each player got to replace a single card. It seemed to work rather well.
That's fine to start with, but I'd suggest working your way to playing totally random sets. Games without a certain cost represented can be some of the most strategically interesting, and you miss out on these by guaranteeing a certain number of cards per cost level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.