Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, more fun to pass the time!

Suggestions for atmospheric background music to play while playing MoM ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the marvellous radio/music/weather fx available in the files section... I've burned all 4 onto a CD, and play it back to back whilst playing AH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my suggestions include:

Great:
Dracula OST [1992 not 2000] (although skip the last couple of tracks]
Land of the Dead OST
The Thing OST

Reasonable:
Interview with the Vampire OST
Night of the Living Dead OST (really most Romero film soundtracks really)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellboy (only heard the first one, second one is probably good too) is also good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
Check out the marvellous radio/music/weather fx available in the files section... I've burned all 4 onto a CD, and play it back to back whilst playing AH.

Where?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used Radio Dismuke for Call of Cthulhu games, when appropriate. Absolutely great stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nox Arcana

http://www.noxarcana.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Try

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/4369/arkham-horror/hp-lov...-

(when I mentioned the files section, I was of course talking about the Arkham Horror part of the site... should've said that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
Try

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/4369/arkham-horror/hp-lov...-

(when I mentioned the files section, I was of course talking about the Arkham Horror part of the site... should've said that)

Very nice. Thanks for clarifying!

w.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Edward Locke
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opeth - Ghost Reveries

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lardinois

Dayton
Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
Hmmmmmm I can think of a few dramatic and tense music scores that would work (being a professional orchestra musician makes me a bit picky in that respect). I plan on mixing these cue tracks with period music from that era for my own games.

Let me see if I can't find some example composers and sound clips...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've thought about this for a while some weeks ago as the game would clearly be enhanced by a good soundtrack. I considered and may trying including things I enjoy like Castlevania 64, but ultimately, hands down, the best choice, I feel, is the soundtrack to the PC game Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

The game is partially inspired by lovecraft, In many ways it also feels very much like what I imagine MOM will be like: having a sanity meter that has real consequences, a huge emphasis on story, puzzle solving, a real sense of horror and terror, an emphasis on hiding from or running away from monsters rather than always fighting them (in Amnesia, fighting them isn't even a choice)

Though they're certainly going to be different in many ways, there's so much overlap in aesthetics between the description of MOM so far and the gameplay and feel of Amnesia: The Dark Descent that I'm surprised no one has made a theme exclusively on that comparison.

All this would be worthless if the soundtrack didn't happen to be eerie, atmospheric, tense, scary, and just perfect for MOM in every way. I recommend getting your hands on those tracks and making a CD.

The only problem I can see with this is that many of the background tracks of the game are short (they're designed to be repeated and looped many times so on the CD, they wern't long) but this can make them feel unnaturally short (at sometimes only a minute long or so)

So I have made a CD with all the tracks but with some tracks repeated several times in a row, especially the really dynamic ones or the really short ones so it doesn't feel like any "atmosphere" ended too briefly.

The soundtrack is moody and atmospheric and feels perfectly lovecraftian. I strongly recommending others make such an album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyC8xcyBPnI

here's an example of how some of the music feels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Heckmann
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing Arkham Horror, british Dark Ambient/Industrial Black Metal band The Axis Of Perdition or their less metal-induced counterpart Pulsefear always worked pretty well. The albums themselves have a pretty strong Cthulhu/Silent Hillish feel to them, so together with such a game... You can check them out here: http://www.myspace.com/theaxisofperdition
Bohren & der Club of Gore can also come in handy, although it's more sombre and melancholic and less evil and aggressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maankin, Gent.
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
I've always found that Music to play in the dark works pretty well
while playing AH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.